Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #1

Air Intake Mesh

Here are some photos of the air inlet vents covered with screen mesh on my 2000 Boxster S. I did some searches to see if others had done this, but came up empty handed. So I thought I’d at least share what I’ve done. I just worked and formed some screen material ($18 for a big roll at Home Depot, galvanized steel) directly over the side vent louvers. Since the louvers are a part of the mounting of the cover it would have required some significant modification of the mounting to install the vents without the louvers in place.

I know this might be too restrictive, but I like the look and I’ve got the air box desnorkeled and a K&N air filter in the stock air box, so maybe that will make up for it a little. I also hope to put a ram air style scoop on the inlet later to again help compensate for any restriction from the wire mesh.

I’m not driving my Boxster right now (broken foot), so any impact on performance won’t be evaluated for another two months. If there is an impact, then I’ll just take the louvers out and modify the side vent to mount without them. I doubt the wire mesh will be any less restrictive than the louvers on the air inlet side as those louvers block the bottom third of the opening.

Meanwhile I’ve used the same screen mesh on the front bumper grills and it looks pretty good. I removed the radiator shrouds first and thoroughly cleaned the radiators and straightened bent fins as much as possible. This fine mesh will certainly keep the front radiators much cleaner, but again I’ll have to wait a bit to see what impact it has on engine temperature.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Wonder if there is mesh on her intake

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #3

Damn ! I thought this was going to be a DIY on how to install these :

http://www.************************************************************/productpage.aspx?pid=105189&name=Boxster+Radiator+Guards

I am seriously considering putting these on. I hate the way the front looks currently, but I fear these might look worse

Anyway, great job on the side intakes. Hope your foot gets better

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats

http://www.************************************************************/productpage.aspx?pid=105189&name=Boxster+Radiator+Guards

I am seriously considering putting these on. I hate the way the front looks currently, but I fear these might look worse

Nick
I used the same $18 roll of wire mesh that I got from Home Depot to make covers for the grills on the front bumper too. It was actually easier to do those grills than the side vents as there is less forming and molding of the wire required.

What I did was first I took off the front bumper. It's pretty easy and if you do a search you'll find a DIY article on the bumper removal. I then removed the left and right grills. They simply pop off to the rear. The center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill that needs to be removed. I then formed the wire mesh to fit into the holes and held it in place on the edges with zip ties. There are some holes left by tabs from where the grills insert. I just used these holes for the zip tie attachments.

Since the center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill covering, there are no holes to zip tie to. However, there's kind of an inner lip to the opening (which you can see) and an outer lip (on the inside of the bumper) which you can't see. I just made the mesh go over the whole thing and then used screws to hold the mesh to the outer lip. This meant making some holes in my bumper, but they can't be seen from the outside and I can always remove the mesh and put it back to 100% stock later - the holes won't be visible.

The front bumper mesh isn't perfect if you look at it within one foot. But standing up and looking down at it, it's just fine. I personally like the look.

I'll get some pictures later. I test fit the bumper and it will go back on fine. I'm just working on another project right now to put air horns under the bumper cover while I have it off.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #5

I'm a little skiddish on putting mesh this fine on the intake and in front of the radiators. The other stuff I've seen has far larger holes, allowing more airflow.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats

Nick

nick, heres how to do that.
looks ghetto, but here it is nonthless

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pf63p1eA0
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k8K633LxKD4
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I used the same $18 roll of wire mesh that I got from Home Depot to make covers for the grills on the front bumper too. It was actually easier to do those grills than the side vents as there is less forming and molding of the wire required.

What I did was first I took off the front bumper. It's pretty easy and if you do a search you'll find a DIY article on the bumper removal. I then removed the left and right grills. They simply pop off to the rear. The center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill that needs to be removed. I then formed the wire mesh to fit into the holes and held it in place on the edges with zip ties. There are some holes left by tabs from where the grills insert. I just used these holes for the zip tie attachments.

Since the center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill covering, there are no holes to zip tie to. However, there's kind of an inner lip to the opening (which you can see) and an outer lip (on the inside of the bumper) which you can't see. I just made the mesh go over the whole thing and then used screws to hold the mesh to the outer lip. This meant making some holes in my bumper, but they can't be seen from the outside and I can always remove the mesh and put it back to 100% stock later - the holes won't be visible.

The front bumper mesh isn't perfect if you look at it within one foot. But standing up and looking down at it, it's just fine. I personally like the look.

I'll get some pictures later. I test fit the bumper and it will go back on fine. I'm just working on another project right now to put air horns under the bumper cover while I have it off.
Kirk -- do you have any pics of the front grill mesh? I'm really interested in seeing them as I'm wanting to do the same for my 05 Boxster
Mikeman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #8

Mesh pic

Here's an old picture I dug up of the mesh on my stock bumper. I'm running a GT3 front bumper now, so I don't have any current pictures.

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914