Thread: Air Intake Mesh
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
Mikeman360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I used the same $18 roll of wire mesh that I got from Home Depot to make covers for the grills on the front bumper too. It was actually easier to do those grills than the side vents as there is less forming and molding of the wire required.

What I did was first I took off the front bumper. It's pretty easy and if you do a search you'll find a DIY article on the bumper removal. I then removed the left and right grills. They simply pop off to the rear. The center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill that needs to be removed. I then formed the wire mesh to fit into the holes and held it in place on the edges with zip ties. There are some holes left by tabs from where the grills insert. I just used these holes for the zip tie attachments.

Since the center opening on the S model doesn't have a grill covering, there are no holes to zip tie to. However, there's kind of an inner lip to the opening (which you can see) and an outer lip (on the inside of the bumper) which you can't see. I just made the mesh go over the whole thing and then used screws to hold the mesh to the outer lip. This meant making some holes in my bumper, but they can't be seen from the outside and I can always remove the mesh and put it back to 100% stock later - the holes won't be visible.

The front bumper mesh isn't perfect if you look at it within one foot. But standing up and looking down at it, it's just fine. I personally like the look.

I'll get some pictures later. I test fit the bumper and it will go back on fine. I'm just working on another project right now to put air horns under the bumper cover while I have it off.
Kirk -- do you have any pics of the front grill mesh? I'm really interested in seeing them as I'm wanting to do the same for my 05 Boxster
Mikeman360 is offline   Reply With Quote