Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #1

JVC KD-AVX44 piggyback on CDR-23

I could not bear to fork over $2000+ for an AVIC transplant, so instead I'm going to piggyback a JVC KD-AVX44 head unit onto my CDR-23 using an inline RF modulator*.

This DIY will document adding the JVC KD-AVX44 into the console slot that currently houses the CD storage tray. The JVC should look awesome in the console.

If things go as I hope, my '03 will remain almost entirely stock, and I will enjoy DVD, MP3/AAC/WMA, Bluetooth, and Sirius capabilities.

Items ordered today:
• JVC KD-AVX44 Multimedia Receiver
• Scosche Audio FM Modulator (with RCA inputs)
• European to Motorola antenna adapters
• JVC KSSRA100 Satellite Radio Interface
• Sirius Radio SC-C1 kit

Stay tuned!

*I am aware that some of you will think this is a horrible idea. I appreciate that you have an opinion, but I don't need to hear that opinion. I'm trying something new, so please table any negativity for the time being. Thanks!

sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

Evening 1: Console out. The harness I'll use to tap constant and switch power is also visible...

After some measurements to ensure I wasn't blocking the mounting ears or screws for the console, I siliconed the RF modulator in place, leaving the frequency switch exposed. It's off-center to leave a little extra room to get the RCA plugs into the side.

I also mounted up the Sirius tuner with a couple of screws, a nylock nut, and a little silicon to ensure there's no vibration.

I rotated the console 180 degrees away from me so you can see what it looks like in its "normal" orientation...

Everything else arrived Friday, including the correct antenna cables and the receiver. Spent about an hour last night soldering up the harness - since I'm using the line outs, I just heatshrinked the ends of all the speaker outs so they don't inadvertently ground out, connected up the RCA's for the front line out, and dealt with the antenna (Boxster antenna goes into new headunit, audio out from new headunit goes into FM modulator which feeds CDR-23 via antenna in). I connected up the constant, switched, and ground for the headunit, the JVC sirius interface, and the FM modulator and ran the Siruis antenna to the satellite cutout on the dash.

Enough talk - here's what she looks like all buttoned up:

The JVC deck comes with a USB 2.0 cable for playing music off a USB thumb drive or for controlling an iPod - so I ran that to the center console...

Here's a YouTube video clip showing how it looks and works...

Last edited by sd_boxster; 03-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #3

Can you take a pic and show the final install. I'm looking for ideas when my CDR210 finally dies.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

Woohoo! Install done - second post updated with "after" pics. Video clip (same as the one linked above)

Still a couple of things to do - need to run a wire to the e-brake switch to enable DVD playback (which I don't really care about) and a couple of odds and ends, but it's 100% functional and I'm really happy with how the install came out.

Last edited by sd_boxster; 03-21-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 AM   #5

Fancy... impressive job. Too big for me, I'll probably just change out the CDR210 and keep it simple
Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #6

Looks great and you did not have to grind away places like you have to do in some of the full-size double din installed units, enjoy,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #7

A couple of additional notes - I just hooked up the parking brake wire and watched a few minutes of Spinal Tap - while watching a movie on a 2.5" screen is not something I'll do - ever - it was fun to try!

Paired up my phone - handsfree works great, and the JVC also works as a stereo playback device, so MP3's on my phone play back using the car audio system.

Finally, I connected up my old 1GB iPod and tossed it in the center console.

Recap: For about $500 or so, I now have:

AM/FM
CD
DVD (Music or video)
Sirius satellite radio
Bluetooth handsfree
iPod/USB memory stick playback

I think I'm in love.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #8

Looks outstanding! Very professional and understated looking installation.

When it comes to the elctrical schematics to figure out how to install this, I'm in way over my head though. I would consider trying this, but without the Sirius for me.

Did the place where you bought the JVC head unit provide instructions? Where did you get it?

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #9

I got all of the stuff from Amazon except the antenna adapters (Crutchfield) and the Sirius box (Best Buy).

This was by far the easiest stereo install I've ever done - since I was using the RCA preouts, NONE of the speaker wires got connected. Wiring for the JVC includes a constant +, a switched +, and a ground. I didn't even run a wire for illumination, since the JVC unit allows you to program the dimmer to operate by time of day (neat feature).

This install is definitely not over your head - ESPECIALLY if you don't do the Sirius. The hardest part was finding room for the three supporting components (two boxes for Sirius and the RF modulator), and I admit that there is a rat's nest of wire under the console I ought to tidy up sometime soon.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #10

Very nice. Another good and clean install.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #11

I was a little curious how everything would hold up to the bouncing and jarring of an autocross. I did the performance driving school last weekend (hosted by the SD region of PCA) - and everything was rock solid. Still very happy with this setup. I may move that satellite antenna under the plastic panel by the windshield wipers - but the longer I wait, the less likely that is to happen.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #12

dumb question, but for the car alarm, i think it is tied to the radio right? can I get any off-the-shelf aftermarket headunit and replace the stock one or is there more to it than that?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #13

*bump*

wanna try to tackle this tomorrow, but im concerned about the alarm.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #14

I don't know offhand - since I left the factory radio in place, I didn't have to think about it. Let me see if my Bentley says anything about that...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #15

Nothing in the Bentley manual, but I found this with Google:

"The wire isn't actually in the harness, it's in a small micro switch on the left side of the radio chassis. When it senses ground it sets off the alarm. The stock radio has a piece of plastic to keep this wire from grounding. Just pull off the switch and the wire and you'll be fine."
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #16

would you do it again?

I'm thinking about upgrading the stock stereo in my 2000 Boxster.
Main wants are iPod connection/control and handfree bluetooth.
Your solution has a lot of advantages - namely low cost and low hassle.
Now that you've lived with it a few month, how well is it working?
Are you satisfied with the audio quality? How about handfree bluetooth - does that work well?

Thanks!
Cornell89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Evening 1: Console out. The harness I'll use to tap constant and switch power is also visible...

After some measurements to ensure I wasn't blocking the mounting ears or screws for the console, I siliconed the RF modulator in place, leaving the frequency switch exposed. It's off-center to leave a little extra room to get the RCA plugs into the side.

I also mounted up the Sirius tuner with a couple of screws, a nylock nut, and a little silicon to ensure there's no vibration.

I rotated the console 180 degrees away from me so you can see what it looks like in its "normal" orientation...

Everything else arrived Friday, including the correct antenna cables and the receiver. Spent about an hour last night soldering up the harness - since I'm using the line outs, I just heatshrinked the ends of all the speaker outs so they don't inadvertently ground out, connected up the RCA's for the front line out, and dealt with the antenna (Boxster antenna goes into new headunit, audio out from new headunit goes into FM modulator which feeds CDR-23 via antenna in). I connected up the constant, switched, and ground for the headunit, the JVC sirius interface, and the FM modulator and ran the Siruis antenna to the satellite cutout on the dash.

Enough talk - here's what she looks like all buttoned up:

The JVC deck comes with a USB 2.0 cable for playing music off a USB thumb drive or for controlling an iPod - so I ran that to the center console...

Here's a YouTube video clip showing how it looks and works...
Cornell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #17

Garage
what head unit do u need in the porsche for this to work? also its hard to tell but does it sit flush with the facia of the console? it does look very nice tho but im sure you know this already
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #18

Any Porsche head unit with an FM tuner would work, since this configuration uses the RF modulator. Better would be a Porsche stereo with an AUX in, but no joy for those of us MOST owners.

Yes, the JVC is flush with the console - when it's off, it's very unobtrusive.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #19

Installation

That looks great! Do you have installation instructions available? I am looking to install something to play my Android (captivate) music in my Boxster.
Thanks,
Dan

fehlingd is offline   Reply With Quote