Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986FortyEight
It is pretty wide for sure but I like it a lot. Thanks for posting!
Did you buy the GT3 deck assembly from Porsche?
How difficult was it to fit is to the original half boxster deck?

(Thanks for the comment on the front. I am not 100% happy with the way it fits but at this point it is what it is! The original got destroyed by some idiot uninsured driver who drove into my car while I was parked pumping gas!
Hi Make
Sorry for reply late
I didn't buy the GT3 deck assembly from Porsche( too expensive) Mind Is aftermarket. I didn't cut my boxster trunk at all. I only cut the GT3 deck and mounted on my boxster trunk, use fiber glass to make it one piece.

"The original got destroyed by some idiot uninsured driver who drove into my car while I was parked pumping gas!"

OH MY GOD!! that idiot should pay more attention on "PORSCHE"
But you know what? After I saw your new front bumper, I like yours more than mind now I really like it so.................much!!! Totally GT3

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S
2007 Lexus IS250 Family Time

Last edited by SF986S; 01-25-2009 at 08:10 AM.
SF986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball
You did a great job on the Mods, like the work on the front. Have you tracked the car before and after the wing to time the difference? The wheels look good too it's so hard to get other than silver and chrome.
8 Ball
Hi Mr 8 Ball
Thank you for comments too
I did took my car to infineon raceway to test. But only drags. Before the hard top and spoiler on, I usually ran13.4 sec/104MPH but after I put on my spoiler and hardtop....the result became 14.1 sec/98MPH....
Ps. I did feel much more down force kicks in on the freeway high speed Stick on the road.

About that full black rims
That used to be silver too . I just use some wheel spray paint to make it full black.
Looks a bit more like track car

I really wish I could take my car to the track driving like you guys and not just drags. Because I understand boxster is not a drag car by our mid-engine perfect balance

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S

Last edited by SF986S; 01-25-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #23

Mystery solved... the front bumper isn't a GT3 RS bumper and it's not a modified 996 bumper. In fact it doesn't look modified at all except for paint and a lower lip tacked on. It's a GT Motor Sport (www.gtmotorsport.net) bumper:

http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Front+Bumper

NR Auto (www.nrauto.com) sells almost the same thing, except with vents at the top:

http://www.nrauto.com/product_image.asp?id=312

Looks better than in the GT website pics! SF986S why didn't you just tell folks what it was when they asked you???

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Mystery solved... the front bumper isn't a GT3 RS bumper and it's not a modified 996 bumper. In fact it doesn't look modified at all except for paint and a lower lip tacked on. It's a GT Motor Sport (www.gtmotorsport.net) bumper:

http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Front+Bumper

NR Auto (www.nrauto.com) sells almost the same thing, except with vents at the top:

http://www.nrauto.com/product_image.asp?id=312

Looks better than in the GT website pics! SF986S why didn't you just tell folks what it was when they asked you???

Kirk
Hi Kirk Thank you for the web info

However I wasn't get it from them.I don't even know there was a inc call GT Motor Sport. I found it from Ebay almost 2 years ago which I have already post the web add when Tommy asked. By the time they call GT3 RS style from bumper.
I did cut of some area to make both opening looks bigger and sanded off the bottom part to fit on S4 Lip.Also have different way to paint it.

KirK I am not sure what's your point by "why didn't you just tell folks what it was when they asked you". Because I have told them everything i know.

Thanks

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S

Last edited by SF986S; 01-25-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF986S
KirK I am not sure what's your point by "why didn't you just tell folks what it was when they asked you". Because I have told them everything i know.
Sorry man... you've just been real ellusive. You didn't say you were clueless as to where the bumper came from. The eBay link you provided was for lots of different bumpers, but not this one. Well now we know where it came from, or at least one possible source... That's cool because it looks good (especially with the paint job you did) and others might want to buy it for their ride.

Kirk
Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Sorry man... you've just been real ellusive. You didn't say you were clueless as to where the bumper came from. The eBay link you provided was for lots of different bumpers, but not this one. Well now we know where it came from, or at least one possible source... That's cool because it looks good (especially with the paint job you did) and others might want to buy it for their ride.

Kirk
No worry man
I am the one should say thank you! Thank you for all the info you provided
other wist I might still tell people this is a GT3 bumper when people asking.
I know there are still many thing for me to learn. That's why I joined here

The reason I believed that could be one of the GT3 bumper, cuz I saw this GT3 about 2 years ago when I went to local Euro meet and took this photo.... By the time, there were only two of this bumper for boxster on Ebay.Called GT3 RS style front bumper.
Once again thank you for solved the mystery

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S

Last edited by SF986S; 01-28-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #27

Sorry man, I'm confusing you even more! There's nothing wrong with calling it a GT3 style bumper. This style of bumper was originally made for the turbo-style headlight 996. Before that the GT3 bumper made for the fried egg headlight 996 (like the headlights we have on our cars) was called the GT3 MK1 bumper. If you look at the pictures of front bumper on my car you'll see one of these. I have an OEM GT3 MK1 front bumper. The picture you just posted is a 996 with the turbo-style headlights and what's called the GT3 MK2 bumper. The GT Motor Sport fiberglass bumper is most clearly a copy of this GT3 MK2 bumper except modified to work with our fried-egg headlights. So GT3 style? Yes, just like the GT3 MK2. GT3 RS style? No, that's a completely different bumper that I posted pictures of earlier.

Kirk
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Sorry man, I'm confusing you even more! There's nothing wrong with calling it a GT3 style bumper. This style of bumper was originally made for the turbo-style headlight 996. Before that the GT3 bumper made for the fried egg headlight 996 (like the headlights we have on our cars) was called the GT3 MK1 bumper. If you look at the pictures of front bumper on my car you'll see one of these. I have an OEM GT3 MK1 front bumper. The picture you just posted is a 996 with the turbo-style headlights and what's called the GT3 MK2 bumper. The GT Motor Sport fiberglass bumper is most clearly a copy of this GT3 MK2 bumper except modified to work with our fried-egg headlights. So GT3 style? Yes, just like the GT3 MK2. GT3 RS style? No, that's a completely different bumper that I posted pictures of earlier.

Kirk
OH! I see! Kirk you are the Master
Thanks a lot! Because My friends from 6speedonline also asking about the front bumper. I provided all the info and web add from your research. Good job!!
Thanks a lot! Master Kirk

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S
Old 12-18-2009, 04:52 AM   #29

Update

Update some photo

Fast car~Slow driver
2001 modded Boxster S