Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #1

OBC Hack Question

Hello All,

I posted this to Renntech and am posting it here to get the widest possible dissemination in hopes that someone can help. I finally got around to doing the OBC Hack and it didn't go well at all....
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've just completed the OBC Hack using the instructions at www.pelicanparts.com, and I got nuthin'!!!!! There is no change in the display no matter which feature I try to access. I'll give the specifics below, if anybody has any ideas I would very much appreciate the assistance.

I have been told that since my center display (below the tach) already displays the temperature that my OBC is already enabled, so I didn't take it to the dealer. (COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM? I have a Durametric, but not a PST2 or PIWIS - that is a different issue I'd like some help on some time. Do I need to take it to the dealer?).

I completed the instructions using two switches. The only deviation from the instructions that I did was to take the ground pins from each switch and tie them together to a single space connector to attach to the chassis ground.

I have confirmed all of my connections with an Ohm meter, both before re-assembly and after taking the cluster apart again when the project didn't work. I'm not an automotive professional, and while I'm not perfect, I have been able to earn a good living doing electrical/electronics engineering, assembly and repairs on some pretty cool stuff. I am certain the molex connectors are in the right slots, and the connections are good. The only thing I don't know is what happens to the molex connections after reassembly. One of the reasons I'm asking for help in this forum is I don't want to build a wiring harness extender to be able to run the car with the cluster on my work cart instead of installed in the dash ...;-(

The cluster worked completely normally after reassembly - except my OBC doesn't work ;-(

As I said, any thoughts, guidance, comments (and even sarcastic remarks) would be appreciated at this point.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I would start here: http://www.brackenrig.net/OBC_Hack.htm

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 AM   #3

Just a Question

Did you use the Durametric to enable your outside temp display or did the vehicle come with that already activated?

GoodJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote