Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #1

2003 - 2004 Boxster AVIC D3 Install with MOST Bus

With help from this forum as well as other Porsche forums I've been able to successfully upgrade my factory stereo to a Pioneer AVIC D3 plus iPod interface, Sirius satellite radio module and Bluetooth module. I hope this DIY helps with your own upgrade!

rahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 AM   #2

Rahlstrom,

Any chance you could post some pics of the what the display looks like when you are listining to Sirius ?

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Rahlstrom,

Any chance you could post some pics of the what the display looks like when you are listining to Sirius ?

Thanks,

Nick
Here you go. Main detail page and preset page.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

Just wondering how the display looks like in the sunlight with the top down? Really washed out and impossible to read? A picture of the display in sunlight would be greatly appreciated as well.
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #5

I have this same setup and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't install the D-3, but rather the newer model. For one thing as you asked - yes the display is worthless with the top open, and part of that is not enough contrast and brightness on the soft touch screen. The new model has a hard screen like an iPhone, much brighter and more clear.

Next - you have to keep the navigation CD in the player at all times if you want to use the navigation features. There are some limited nav features available in memory without the CD, but they aren't worth much. This too has been corrected in the new model.

The voice on the navigation does not track with the radio volume control but rather with an internal setting. Well - it doesn't go high enough to be heard on the freeway with the top open. And since the screen can't be seen, and the directions can't be heard...you don't have a nav system. I don't know if this has been changed on the new model though.

Don't get me wrong though - overall the AVIC D-3 is a great unit with excellent audio and a good screen image, more features than you need, a great iPod interface etc. It's just that I never close my top and so these things are a pain.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've had mine for well over a year and I can see the screen perfectly fine with the top down. The only time I have a problem seeing it is when I'm wearing polarized Oakleys, but tilting my head fixes that.

I also can hear the voice at highway speeds.

Some people complained about having the nav CD in at all times, but I don't use the CD slot for anything else so it is a non-issue for me.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #7

Might be a matter of height. I'm 6'3" and sit up fairly high in the air stream, and at a more severe angle for viewing. But then the pretty half of my equation is 5'8" and she has the same two complaints from the passenger seat.

Yesterday it was overcast and I still had a tough time seeing the screen to any reasonable degree. Thought I'd do a test so I plugged in a destination and got on the freeway. I could hear instructions up to about fifty MPH and at that point they got drowned out by the air stream. Seems silly they designed the thing so you can't crank it up to match the radio.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahlstrom
Here you go. Main detail page and preset page.
Thanks, Rahlstrom !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain0rs
Just wondering how the display looks like in the sunlight with the top down? Really washed out and impossible to read? A picture of the display in sunlight would be greatly appreciated as well.
I for one have had no issues with the screen with the top down. I've attached a few pics taken at 1:00 with the sun directly overhead and angled at the screen. The glare you see is more from the camera lens reflecting light. The screen has a matte finish and is plenty bright. Not sure what the "newer version" is discussed earlier but if it's the Z3, that costs significantly more. I got the D3 for $699 from Best Buy and scored a $200 rebate from Pioneer bringing my cost to $500. Can't beat it for the price.

The CD has also been a non issue as I only listen to iPod or Sirius. The Nav CD never leaves its slot.

Regardless of which unit you go with, the DIY will work for any receiver. The main value is the wiring details and mounting considerations.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #10

Rebate???

Holy cow! I also bout mine from BB and saw the rebate but it said that it doesn't apply for Best Buy and Circuit City, etc. Did you actually get a check? I may have to mail it in!!!

-Steve
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #11

rebate form

Here's the link to the rebate form on PioneerElectronics.com

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/$200%20AVIC-D3%20Rebate-Final.pdf
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
Holy cow! I also bout mine from BB and saw the rebate but it said that it doesn't apply for Best Buy and Circuit City, etc. Did you actually get a check? I may have to mail it in!!!

-Steve
I didn't see the fine print! We'll see if I get it. It's been mailed.