View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Kevfra

I have this same setup and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't install the D-3, but rather the newer model. For one thing as you asked - yes the display is worthless with the top open, and part of that is not enough contrast and brightness on the soft touch screen. The new model has a hard screen like an iPhone, much brighter and more clear.

Next - you have to keep the navigation CD in the player at all times if you want to use the navigation features. There are some limited nav features available in memory without the CD, but they aren't worth much. This too has been corrected in the new model.

The voice on the navigation does not track with the radio volume control but rather with an internal setting. Well - it doesn't go high enough to be heard on the freeway with the top open. And since the screen can't be seen, and the directions can't be heard...you don't have a nav system. I don't know if this has been changed on the new model though.

Don't get me wrong though - overall the AVIC D-3 is a great unit with excellent audio and a good screen image, more features than you need, a great iPod interface etc. It's just that I never close my top and so these things are a pain.
Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote