Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #1

EVO Aluminum Pedal Install on 03 Boxster S

I thought this install should be dead simple, but there were some frustrating steps and a couple of shortcuts that took me awhile to figure out. The kit comes with the pedal covers, self tapping screws and machine screws -- no instructions. Tools I used were: philips screwdriver, hex driver, quick clamps and cordless drill.

I did the dead pedal first. There's a screw near the top of the OEM foot rest. Back that out and position the EVO dead pedal over the foot rest. Line up the hole in the EVO piece with the OEM hole and use the OEM screw -- the supplied self tapping screws are not long enough -- to secure it in place. Then use two self tapping screws from the kit to secure the bottom of the EVO piece into the OEM foot rest. Note: now you're committed because you just put holes in the OEM foot rest.

Next, clutch and brake pedals. You get to drill here. I hate drilling holes in my Porsche, even on the pedals. I needed a template for the holes so the new pedals would be lined up right. Long story short, the OEM rubber pedal covers make a perfect template. The EVO piece mounting holes line up perfectly with spots where the crosshatch scoring on the OEM pieces cross. (Hold the EVO piece over the OEM piece and you'll see what I'm talking about.) I left the OEM cover in place and drilled through it. The clutch pedal is plastic; I was shocked. Drilling three mounting holes was a snap. Two at the top and one at the bottom matching the triangular shape of the pedal. (Put a wood block under the pedal so it doesn't move while you're drilling. This becomes way more important for the brake pedal.) Put the EVO piece in place, thread three machine screws through the mounting holes and go and find a person with really small hands to help you get the nuts threaded from behind the pedal. There was much swearing at this point. I found no shortcuts. They finally went on and tightened up snuggly.

Now the brake pedal. It, unlike the clutch pedal, is made of steel. I still used the OEM pedal cover as a guide, but only to mark the hole locations. Remove the pedal cover and wedge the wood block under the pedal. It's a curved surface and your drill is going to want to skitter upwards off the top of the pedal. There's nothing for it, you just have to go slowly. You only drill two holes here: the top two. The way the brake pedal is made, the bottom hole ends up in solid steel with no way to attach the nut. Speaking of the nuts, unlike the clutch pedal, these went on with no cursing and jockeying for hand position.

I was wrung out at this point. Like I said, I hate drilling holes in my Porsche. Fortunately the accelerator wasn't bad at all. Here's where I used the quick clamps. The EVO accelerator pedal mounts to the OEM accelerator pedal. I lined the EVO piece up on top of the OEM piece starting at the top edge, and clamped it into place. The plastic OEM piece is pretty thick. Add to that the thickness of the EVO piece and the machine screws provided in the kit barely reach all the way though. Maybe three or four threads would show. I didn't think I could get enough grip. So, I used three self tapping screws from the kit. One screw at the top, and two at the bottom. I was able to brace the pedal with my hand hard enough to drive screws into the OEM plastic.

Carefully remove the floor mat and thoroughly vacuum up all the metal shavings. Also thoroughly vacuum the foot well. Replace the mat. Put away the tools and have a cold beer while you look at your pretty new pedals.

texwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 AM   #2

texwayne-
Nice write up and glad you had success. I had problems w/ my loud pedal too due to thickness of the plastic pedal and the covers. I was able to get 2 of the 3 machine screws on there. Top one was easy and bottom left just barely poked thru. Once you get the thread started, it'll tighten down nicely and compresses the plastic. The right one was a no go so I just epoxy-ed it into the hole You could I suppose use longer screws and then cut off the excess, but it'll cause you clearance issues when stomping on the loud pedal and no one wants a throttle limiter .

For others wanting to do this, I suggest you start w/ the brake pedal. Yes it's the hardest (physically, etc.) but it's also the one w/ the least amount of wiggle room for alignment purposes. If you try to align off the clutch pedal, you may run into clearance issues on the the back of the brake pedal while trying to make sure the pedals are straight . You should use all 3 machine screws on each pedal and as a safety precaution, even though most pedal kits come w/ a lock washer, I'd also put some loc-tite on the screw. You certainly don't want them wiggling loose while driving

Oh yeah, and definitely grab at least one cold one when finished - it helps stretch out your cramped muscles from crouching in the footwell

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote