Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Pricing Guide 1999 Boxster

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help with my Boxster pricing wise. I have a 1999 2.5L manual that has a blown motor from overheating and I'm trying to see what to do with it pricewise. (please move to another thread if this isn't the right place for it.)

I'm trying to see what I could realistically get from it if I were to sell it as is. I'm thinking $4-5k? Beside the motor, everything is pretty good condition wise as it only had 79K. I've already looked into swapping the motor and that'd be the next course of action if I can't sell (please keep the discussion on pricing as I already know what I'm in for swapping).

Leftturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #2

I can tell you from my own personal experience. You wont get anywhere near $4k for a car that doesn't run or drive regardless of condition. a 99 with a 2.5 is at the low end of the 986. I just picked up another 986, 2003 S with it needing a clutch and only paid $1200. Under 100k miles, brand new top & tires and it runs & drives just doesn't shift well.

Where you are at will also play into it. Look through recent ads here as there are a couple people trying to sell.

Best of luck with it but you will need to be more realistic with the pricing in my opinion.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #3

Garage
Agreed. I got a 2002 S in good shape, new top and tires, bad engine for $3000--and that's out here where there aren't many of us!
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #4

My guess would be $2,500 would be a very fair deal for you.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Prices are way up on all used cars right now, but $4-5K sounds pretty optimistic. I have not seen non-running cars go up in price nearly as much as general used cars. In 'showroom condition', $5k with a blown engine would probably be a hard sell for a '99. (1999 Boxsters are my favorite model year)

"...everything is pretty good condition wise" Can mean very different things to different people.
A blown motor from overheating can mean a lot of things too. It may be scrap or it may be fairly easy to repair. I'd bet on scrap if I was a buyer.

Generally I have seen 'rollers' sell for $2500 - $3500. If I buy one I'm looking at the parts value as my top dollar. I have bought a couple under $2000 that were in 'pretty good condition', but those deals don't show up often and don't last long when they do. The $1,200 car that STL bought is an outlier and not good as a data point. If it is common where he's at, I'll head there with my trailer ASAP.

Thoughts on price: New high-end tires, perfect paint, and a refreshed suspension should add a lot of value to a Boxster. A good used 2.5L engine can now cost about $3,000. DIY installation can add a few hundred in misc parts. A good paint job can cost significantly more. A nice set of Michelins installed is over $1,000. Updating a suspension that is over 20 years old can also run into thousands. Having a dealership do maintenance such as a coolant tank or water pump can easily run over $1,000. Fixing a car with cracked leather seats, windows not working properly, and a bad top can cost more than a replacement engine.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #6

I am inline with your thinking on the 'extras' impacting the bottom line price.

I have a datapoint for you. Just bought and promptly blew up a good-condition Alpine Silver 01 S.

I'm asking $6500 for my roller, I justify this with brand new michelin pilot sport tires, BBS wheels, new brakes all around with perfect red calipers, pristine top with perfect clear window, touch-screen bluetooth, bilstein shocks with H&R springs and updated suspension, great condition Litronics HIDs.

My thoughts are, the parts listed above are near my asking price.

I'm an anecdote, but maybe this helps you price yours.

Last edited by beater986; 08-09-2021 at 11:56 AM.
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Jon has a good buy, but the key there is that it SHOULD add value. Not always the case.

What it really comes down to is what someone is willing to pay. For me if something is non drivable then it is scrap value regardless of condition and I look at it in the way that a junk yard would...what could I make off it by parting it out. If I fix it, great, if not I'm not going to go into it with the midset of losing money either.

Prices for used cars are stupid expensive right now. Already have a buyer lined up for the newest car an an insane markup. Going to have a shop just drop in a new clutch, rms, clutch slave and then get rid of it. For what I was offered I can't say no. Best thing, I wont even be putting it in my name, just flipping it.

In the end, the market will dictate the price. Ask too much and you will sit on it for a while. Ask too little and someone will pick it up, but you wont get as much as you potentially could. It's all a gamble.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #8

Appreciate the input guys.

Leftturn is offline   Reply With Quote