Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2021, 02:05 PM   #1

Suggested price

I am considering selling and would be interested to hear thoughts about selling price, '99 with 33,300 miles, excellent condition, everything works perfectly, new tires, brake rotors/pads, plugs, many others.
Atlanta, GA area.

Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

Depends on the IMS status.
scrambledeggs728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs728 View Post
Depends on the IMS status.
I'll play your silly game... Depending on IMS status, what would your suggested price(s) be?

---------------------------------

My (worthless) opinion; right now car prices are up on everything. Clearcoat and leather in excellent condition? With a good PPI, I'd say $10,500 in a major market that is short on nice examples.

Well documented and presented on BAT, probably more:
Old 04-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #4

BAT prices aren't representative of normal channels. Also it isn't "silly", the Clutch/LN Engineering IMS documented repair is worth several thousand dollars alone, maybe $3000.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambledeggs728 View Post
BAT prices aren't representative of normal channels. Also it isn't "silly", the Clutch/LN Engineering IMS documented repair is worth several thousand dollars alone, maybe $3000.
Right. The silly part is posting in a thread where someone is asking for a suggested price for a car and implying that you have some special info, but won't give a suggested price for the car.

Any ideas on the value of the car? With IMS done? Without? Lots of people (many buyers) don't care much about the IMS being done on a 1999 with the dual row bearing, but lets not debate the IMS. Stephan asked for a price for the car and there's plenty of IMS threads already.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
asking prices

IMS is not a huge concern with this car, dual-row failure is low, but peace of mind is worth something to people...but not 3K.
this appears to be an excellent example, very low miles and well kept. Assuming its a manual?
10,500 is a sweet-heart deal, low end IMHO.

Ive only dealt in the "s" model and my high-mileage examples sold recently for well over this price. If you move on, I expect you get your price.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Right. The silly part is posting in a thread where someone is asking for a suggested price for a car ...
Can't say three words without triggering an internet argument. It would be silly to give a price without sufficient information, the IMS bearing problem is the number one thing people ask when looking at these after the year and mileage.

Whether a buyer "doesnt care much" about it, whether it is dual or single row, the IMS was a design defect and it is only a matter of time before the music stops on at this point a 22 year old sealed bearing.

Last edited by scrambledeggs728; 04-19-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #8

Garage
Could probably get 15k for it on the east coast
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:12 AM   #9

It is a sellers market right now and has been for about a year. It will swing back to a buyers market around winter time I think.

I would say between $8k-$12k.

While it does have low mileage, that isnt always a good thing but if you have service records it helps. Being a 2.5 it might not bring as much as a 2000 with a 2.7 in the same condition, miles, etc or an S.

Of course, it's never worth more then the person that is going to buy it.

As for the IMS being the number one thing that people ask about...it isn't. While there were failures and yes it could go bad, it doesn't even crack the top 10 things I would ask or care about. If a buyer is interested they would know which years this impacts and not just watch Youtube videos that never go into the details. The OP is asking for opinions on price given the information he provided.

BAT is a possible option, could reach out to them and see if they select your car. That would bring you the most money, followed by facebook marketplace, maybe CL and also rennlist. You could also reach out to your local PCA and see if they have a classified site for their region.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #10

+1 to previous reply! Used car prices are crazy. BAT would be gold if they take your car.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #11

Just to add some context. I regularly see 986 cars through wholesale auctions selling for around $9k with way more miles and no known service history and no where near as good of condition as the car in the pictures. It is getting kind of stupid the prices that cars are selling for the past 18 months. One of the biggest drivers is that there is less new inventory for all cars due to pandemic impacting parts companies and the tech sector.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #12

Garage
Bring it up to Western New York, lol. It took me 4 months to find one and I paid well over your asking with 70k miles. Everyone is trying to find these cars right now it seems.

trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote