Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #1

FS 1998 Tip Black w/ Full Red Interior Needs Transmission Seal

I needed something more practical and reliable to get around so I decided to get rid of the boxster after over 5 years of fun. It's a 1998 Tiptronic with around 144,000 miles.

Details about the car:
-Non-operational because of transmission seal that needs replaced (lost fluid and towed home)
-I had the vehicle inspected and will post the quote for repairs
-Just a daily driver for the last 5+ years and never taken to the track
-Full a/c system replaced last summer for ~$3000
-Water pump, front engine mount, drive belt, coolant reservoir tank about 6 months ago ~$1,500
-New GAHH convertible top installed about 2 years ago
-Alpine type-s speakers in dash and doors and sony b/t head unit
-"PORSCHE" satin black badge on trunk and newer front Porsche logo badge
-Michelin Pilot Super Sports tires with plenty of life in them
-Lip spoiler color matched
-Litronics headlights
-Aftermarket bbs style wheels (not sure who made them and came on the car, finish is not great on these)
-Depo halogen taillights and smoked LED third brake light (3rd brake light has a section on one side of the LEDS not functioning)
-I have both keys but the electronics died in the remotes. I also replaced the door lock mechanisms
-Boxster red full leather interior thats in pretty great shape overall. (seat leather and steering wheel was replaced just before I bought it)
-Exterior panels are all free of any significant damage. Just a couple minor door digs that came with the car. Exterior looks almost new when clean.
-Smoked hella turn signals
-LED interior and trunk lighting (driver door LED died recently)
-Red top optima battery died at the shop but was working fine
-Hella supertone horns installed
-I used royal purple street performance synthetic oil the last few years
-While I had it I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug tubes, AOS, vacuum lines, starter motor, right a/c vent, speakers, airbag mount, horns, convertible top, sway bar end links, door lock mechanisms, cleaned the throttle body and a bunch of items I am probably forgetting.
-Engine was clear of codes aside from a set of vacuum line related codes that popped up after having the engine mount etc. worked on. The car ran and shifted fine prior to the transmission seal losing fluid.

Vehicle and repair info:

Estimate was performed by:

Car as it sits today:

Email me at Brandonchaney89@gmail.com with questions or offers.

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #2

I should probably mention that the car is located in Tulsa, OK for trailer/towing pickup.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It looks nice. I like the black with the red interior. The last thing I need right now is another project or Boxster, but I'm not far from Tulsa and have a trailer. I'm guessing that your price is more than I'd want to pay for a roller and don't want to insult you with a low-ball offer. Post an asking price? ...or pm me if you want it gone.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:34 AM   #4

Needs price posted.
CBRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #5

I don't mean to be that guy, but please remember that when you price your car that the 97-99 tiptronic trans is practically unrebuildable. The parts aren't really available, and if you can find them the rebuild cost is 2/3 the cars value.
I sell these transmission used for 2k plus
diff operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diff operator View Post
I don't mean to be that guy, but please remember that when you price your car that the 97-99 tiptronic trans is practically unrebuildable. The parts aren't really available, and if you can find them the rebuild cost is 2/3 the cars value.
I sell these transmission used for 2k plus
The engine and transmission don't need to be rebuilt. It needs the $22 input seal and fluid. If someone has the tools and ability to work on it then it should be good to go. There is no damage. The transmission slipped a few times because of low fluid and lost the rest when I stopped. 1700 repair quote was 1450 for labor.

I spent 5k on it in the last year alone which I don't expect to get back but I believe the running engine/trans, interior, litronics, GAHH top, full new a/c system/coolant tank/motor mount would help the value. I wouldn't consider it a roller because it's just in need of that repair. If I wasn't in an apartment complex now I'd be fixing and keeping it myself.

Feel free to make offers and email me as I don't have any price in mind. Whatever seems fair.