Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #1

WTB stock 2000-2004 Boxster S (or Spyder) for Autocross car

Looking to run a Boxster S in C-street this year. Since it'll be an autocross car, it probably shouldn't be a well kept example. While AX isn't as hard on a car as other forms of racing, repeatedly hitting cones does take its toll...

What I really need on the car:
--STRONG 3.2L motor. I can live with any sort of mileage as long as the power isn't down on the motor.

--Stock. No short shift kits, muffler replacements that include changes to the catalytic converter, etc. Anything that'll kick me out of the stock racing class.

--Manual Tranny

What Options I'd like:
--M030. Not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it. I'll put one on if it it's not there. But it'd be great not to do that.

--Any other options I've missed?

--It'd be nice if it was located near Santa Fe, New Mexico. However...I'd be willing to travel farther.

The rest of the car I'm pretty ambivalent about. I don't really care about color. The paint can be in whatever condition. There can be dents, ripped seats, etc. So, if you've got a somewhat ugly car you don't think anyone would want, I might be the guy looking for it if the price is right. I'd like to keep the cost below $12K because I've got $5-6K in parts I need to put on it. The farther below $12K, the better...it'll help offset travel costs during the season.

Edit: If you've got a Spyder, I'd go above the $12K mark.

Last edited by Rotmilky; 03-15-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo on motor and Spyder
Rotmilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 AM   #2

Garage
There's a 2001 Boxster S for sale at a used car dealership in Stow, MA. I did a test drive in it last year and decided bot to buy it because it needed the kind of TLC you don't care about. I suspect he sill be willing to take $7-8K for it if you bargain hard. PM me if you want more information.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

Hey the 986 Boxster S dropped down from B-street to C-street, and I think you can run some mods in STU which is where I would run if I do any SCCA autox this year.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

I think it *might* be competitive in C-street, so I'm going to first try stock. If it doesn't work out, my thought was to move into something like STU.

At the very least, I'd say several options currently exist for the Boxster S to be competitive for the first time in...well ever?
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #5

I know, usually they move Porsches in the other direction, up the chain and less competitive. This might be the year for the Boxster! In which case it will probably go back up a class
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Don't forget "needs manual transmission". No tiptronic!!

And best of luck!!
Old 03-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Don't forget "needs manual transmission". No tiptronic!!

And best of luck!!
Oops. Good point. I've edited it to reflect the 'manual' transmission.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #8

I have one for sale..
PM'd you.
jpc1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

I have one available in CA. 9000$

I had bought it to run stock class. But I prefer road racing and will be running Spec E30s . Bone stock. 110K miles engine doesn't burn oil and doesn't leak and is still very strong. Currently my daily. IMS and clutch replaced at 98K miles.
1987 325IS (Soon to be Spec E30 racecar)
2001 GSXR-600 (Almost warm outside!)
WorkInProgressK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #10

I have a 2001S with 65000 mi LN ims brg and factory m030 and psm with new Bilstein sport replacement shocks 18 wheels new tires, brakes ,rotors and EBC red pads would like $11000 near Detroit has aftermarket big secondary convertors but I have originals also have aluminum flywheel not installed
johnsjmc@sympatico.ca

Last edited by johnsjmc; 03-22-2017 at 04:16 PM.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

I think I've replied to everyone so far...

I'm still looking at the moment. There have been a couple of outstanding cars turn up on the other side of the country from me. Like almost as far as you can get from me within the continental US. I'm really really hoping something closer turns up. Heck, I'd take located on the Pacific coast as being closer. At least it's closer than the Atlantic coast.

As it stands, I don't need a car today...but I probably need one within 3 weeks. I'll wait a couple more weeks in hopes of something 'close'. If I don't find something by then, Long Island and Detroit suddenly don't seem all that far away...
Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #12

I've been lurking here myself for the same reason. From what I can tell, best ticket would be an 03-04 non-PSM car. PSM is too intrusive for AX. And I hear that the late motors have better midrange.

Still think think the ND is going to be the car on 99% of courses, but it might be close enough to give it a shot. Good luck.

I found a thrust chart someone made, little Miatas have some poke where it counts:
SCCA_AX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA_AX View Post
I've been lurking here myself for the same reason. From what I can tell, best ticket would be an 03-04 non-PSM car. PSM is too intrusive for AX. And I hear that the late motors have better midrange.

Still think think the ND is going to be the car on 99% of courses, but it might be close enough to give it a shot. Good luck.

I found a thrust chart someone made, little Miatas have some poke where it counts:
Thanks for the chart! I had made one of those myself but couldn't find any different torque curves between the 00-02 and 03-04 cars. About the only useful piece of info I've found to add to that is that that the earlier cars seem to be 55-60 lbs lighter. That said, I've found weights all over the map.

I think you're right about the Mazda -- it's likely the better car on many AX tracks. Especially if it's slow and tight. If the course is a little more wide open and fast, with fast sweeping turns...maybe the Box has a chance. Both courses at last years nationals seemed to be pretty fast if I remember them right. All of this is strictly academic, though, since I'll go out and drive like an idiot. Add in the idiot penalty and I probably couldn't get a GT4 around faster than a NA Miata.

In any event, it seems like a fun thing do try to build up and give it a try. Maybe, if I can find a car, at nats there will be this lone Boxster among a sea of Miatas hooning it up.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

Sold! Errr....bought! Thanks for all the tips everyone. I managed to find one 2 hours away. Thankfully -- I was starting to think a one way drive of 34 hours wouldn't be so bad.