Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

2001 Boxster S ONLY 26k miles! IMS retro complete!

Hello all. I'm the second owner of a gorgeous mint 2001 Porsche Boxster S. The coolant flush, rear main seal and IMS retro kit were all installed by Redstone Performance Engineering in Lebanon, IN. This shop works on half million dollar Ferraris and Porsches and is currently restoring several Indy Cars. The car is as mint as a 986 can possibly get and even has the original paperwork from the previous owner who ordered the Boxster S with the following options:

Sport Touring Package (Option P64) as well as the 18" allow "turbo look" wheels (Option 413).

Other options include Porsche Stability Management (476), Self-Dim mirrors and rain sensor (P11) Savanna Beige Floor mats (M6S) and Special Chassis Rigidity Tuned (030).

The tires have plenty of tread with less than 5k miles on them and exhibit no signs of cracking or any other deficiency. The car has been inspected and anything with even the slightest hint of necessary TLC has been replaced.

Many pictures were taken during inspection and replacement of parts and are available upon request.

In the last 2 weeks the following has been done:

Cabin Air Filter: Inspected and replaced with charcoal embedded Mann filter

Engine: Inspected and replaced Mahle air filter. Hoses and belts inspected for cracks. Oil and oil filter replaced with Hengst filter and Mobil 1 0w40 Synthetic. New drain plug washer installed. Slight oil seapage between transmission and engine. Rear main seal was replaced during IMS retro kit install. Oil filter inspected for debris with none present.

Throttle body: Removed and inspected. Slight residue buildup on butterfly. Throttle body and plenum cleaned inside and out. Computer calibration completed.

Oil/air separator: No abnormal oil residue in throttle body or plenum.

Spark Plugs: Replaced with Bosch 7413 plugs.

Coil pack check: Inspected for cracks.

Engine bay check: Cleaned with damp rag and inspected.

Battery check: Battery was load tested. New battery installed.

Brake system check: Hydraulic fluid flushed. Pads and rotor thickness inspected. Caliper piston seals inspected. Master cylinder tested. Brake booster tested.

Cooling system: pH tested. System checked for leaks or cracks in hoses/radiator. Coolant system flushed with G40 coolant.

Tire and wheel check: Tires show no cracking or dry rotting. Front wear aprox 75-80% remaining. Rear wear aprox 70% remaining.

Clutch condition: Engagement / slippage checked. Friction disk and flywheel inspected during IMS/RMS install.

Transmission check:
All gears were smooth and precise. Drive shaft boots inspected for cracks.

Convertable top conditoin: Cloth cleaned and inspected. Rear window plastic cleaned and inspected.

Rear spoiler: Functions normally.

Exhaust: Inspected for abnormalities. Very slight rattle near converter hanger when idling but not audible inside vehicle.

Body: Front bumper shows very minor wear acceptable for age/miles. Bumper was removed and painted then installed back on vehicle. Body inspected for dents/scratches with no obvious issues. Paint washed and waxed.

Glass: No obvious marks,cracks or scratches.

Interior: Audio system checked. Auto dimming mirror repair and was then installed back in vehicle. Windows checked. Locks checked. Horn checked. Cruise checked. Carpet shows no obvious wear or marks. Door panels/dash shows no obvious wear or marks. Leather seats show no cracks or obvious wear. Dash guages and lights tested. Convertable power top operation checked. All electronics and buttons function. Leather cleaned and conditioned.

Suspension: All struts checked and bump tested. Bushings checked. Alignment checked.

Steering: Steering feels smooth and returns to center. Hydraulic system checked.

Misc: Original user manual, window sticker, and purchase order present. Battery storage charger present. Both original keys with valet key present.

Drive test: Throttle feels smooth with no hesitation and is strong throughout RPM band with most power felt in upper RPM band as predicted. No audible suspension noises or abnormalities over bumps. Handling feels firm during corners with a smooth but quick weight transfer as expected. Alignment satisfactory with no abnormal tendencies. Brake application has good bite and does not pull left or right. Interior road noise level normal. Audio system is normal. Convertable top operates as normal.

Below are the most recent pictures of the Boxster S. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. You can easily reach me on my cell at 317 496 4893, Dan.

[IMG]20170207_133831[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_133926[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_133852[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_133940[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134047[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134117[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134151[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134206[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134306[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]20170207_134324[1] by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

dsmithwc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Did I miss the asking price in the post?
ericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #3

My apologies, asking $18,500. However, Ive got my eye on a particular F 348 and if I can sell the Boxster soon enough I will be able to buy it.

With that in mind I will take $17,000 to make a quick sale. Im not aware of a Boxster S that is as nice for that price. IMS retro jobs with 30k service are $3800-5000 depending on location and if your using an indy mechanic or dealership. This beauty is ready to enjoy.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Well, looks like I made the deal on the F348. Need to move this beauty so throw me any reasonable offers.

Please, no low ballers. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #5

Garage
You are asking way too much. $15K max.

I bought my 2004 S with maintenance history and TuneRS IMS fix for $14.2K. Looks just as nice as yours. Mine also has Litronic and upgraded wheels. Only work needed is rear trailing arms which I'll attack in the spring.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Garage
I got my 01 S with 35K miles for 10K. No IMS work or AOS as it is running perfect, no metal in oil filter as evidence of IMS issues came with new Good Year tires...maybe I was lucky
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the info.

Ciao, you got a steal. However, the original failure prone IMS bearing may go tomorrow or in 20k miles. Nobody really knows and there is generally no warning. Prepare to spend around $3k as an average cost for a retro kit and finding a shop thats trust worthy to do the job right isn't always easy. If you plan on going to the dealership prepare for a $6k bill according to two dealerships that I called. They do wash the car for you though..

This car needs nothing and is ready to enjoy the driving season. Here are some pictures I just took today now that warm sunny weather is here.

After several messages from members of the community I'm going to drop the price to $15,900

Keep in mind this car has the IMS fix, good tires, good brake pads, new spark plugs, new filters, all fluids flushed and replaced, had the full 30k service as well.

[IMG]Front by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Side by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Back2 by dsmithwc04, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 02-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #8

Very nice car. I wish it was closer!
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #9

Thanks for all the interest folks! Looks like a gentleman has now spoken for the car and send a deposit. I will put a pause to the thread as "SOLD: PENDING" I have been extremely busy the last few day so I apologize for not getting back to a couple of the PM's but I had spoken with most of the interested parties as of today.

If anything changes I will let you all know. Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

Arrived home after a turn-around Toronto-Indianapolis drive! So amazed to own this great Boxster S, and my first Porsche. Thanks Dan, for the immaculate care you gave the car - I will do my best to continue that and I can't wait for the snow to melt and the streets to be swept, so I can begin the enjoyment of the drive! Great to meet you and wish you all the best with your F348 - a work of art!
-L-

pidj is offline   Reply With Quote