Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

1997 Porsche Boxster Canvas top

This is brand new and might fit more then just a 1997 Boxster. I am asking $150 plus shipping. I paid extra for the smoke tinted rear plastic. Top was bought last yr for 350.00

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #2

Is the top black? Will it fit a 1998? Anyone know if one can install oneself? Or how many hours a mechanic needs?
Czrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Rooster,

I did my top myself (with my wife too) and it took the better part of 8-10 hours. It is a project but we were very cautious and made sure it was right. 2 years later I still get compliments on the car as if it were new.

I am sure a professional could do it faster. It was a great project and I think on a 1-10 scale I would put this a 3. It does take time so be patient and it will turn out awesome. I have one small wrinkle and all I need to do is make a few tension adjustments and I am sure it will work itself out. Good luck.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Rooster, it will fit you car no problem.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Doable, but be prepared for a LOT of work and a LOT of patience. I read everything I could about this install, read up on the job in pelican's 101projects book, read up on all the advice from several different Boxster forums, and bought all the right parts. Took 7.5 hours. And, yesterday it rained hard and a lot. Didn't see a single leak. I guess I got it all back together successfully! But, I do have a slight wind noise from the passenger side. Sort of a very quiet whistling sound. Just sitting in the driver's seat, the seal at the top of the window doesn't quite look straight. I'll readjust it this weekend and I'm sure that wind noise will go away.

Rag Top Replacement

I checked with a local upholstery shop that specializes in replacing tops. They wanted $500 to do the install if I were to bring them a top. If you're not sure about doing the job yourself, I suppose $500 is cheap insurance to insure it gets done right. And, you don't have to spend a whole day trying to figure it all out.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Garage
Everyone has a valid point, but if you have the patients then do it yourself. Knowledge is everything when it comes to cars!! If it's done by you, you know how to fix it. Like the whole wrinkle in the roof. Now you know how to fix it. You know where all the tensioners are and how everything goes together (for the most part).

Boxster tops are fairly straight forward, but don't drink to much beer while you do it....
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

I would also like to know what color the top is please? And what brand? Thanks.

986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote