Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

fs:2005 porsche boxster

Hi guys,

Decide to sell my 05 boxster. New body style, 987, 5 speed manual. Silver exterior with grey interior.Clean title in hand, no accident. Asking $24K OBO

Carfax, autocheck records available upon request. VIN:WP0CA29895S710377. Prefer local bay area buyer, or someone willing to pick it up.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1888917273.html

Below list are the factory option codes
MNR Type Description
342 Heated seats
397 18 inch Boxster S wheel
446 Wheel centre set
490 Sound Package Plus
551 Wind deflector incl. storage box
P12 Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor.

Last edited by liuyu79; 08-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.
liuyu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

what's going on

wow, posted for 1 week on this site and craigslist, not even 1 lead. what are you experts thinking? Is it the price too high? I think 23.5K is fair for 05 boxster.

Is it just the soft market? bad economy? unemployment?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 AM   #3

Lets pretend I'm shopping

I see a '05. Maybe least attractive of the new body style. Pictures show a minor interior issue that would be a pain to fix, minor exterior issue that would be maybe $600 to fix. Minor top issue I could live with. Car is not an S. Not highly optioned.
So those are its negatives.

When earlier Ss are available for 9k less and base models of earlier cars for less than $10k, there has been a lot of pressure on the early 987s in terms of prices. But there is nothing wrong with your price. On a national basis, it is in fact low. And well marketed. Only suggestion is to also list the original manufacturer's sticker price.

Add in the economy or at least uncertainty and a reduced number of people who want to drive a Porsche when their neighbor's house is being foreclosed. Or who want to buy a pleasure car with its probable financing. Not to mention the generation of potential buyers who have never driven a stick and are scared of the hills in the Bay area.

So yea...a tough market. And you aren't selling in April when the sap rises.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #4

987 or not

good point about 04 986 Ss could be had for much less, then again 987 is totally different car.

Just out of curiosity, for under 25K, what will be your favorite fun car to own?

987 Boxster,
996 carrera
04~05 M3
wrx sti?
whatelse?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #5

Now lets pretend I'M shopping...I see an '05 - the MOST attractive of all (well, the 05-08s are) Boxster variants.

I do agree though, that it is most likely the economic/financial factors cited below by MikeFocke that may make the car slow to sell; I mean, a high-end, two-seat, mid engined, rear drive roadster is about as discretionary as an automobile purchase can get. I agree that your price is fine, based on the research I did and the price I ended up paying for my CPO 05 S earlier in the year: yes, in Spring.

Having said, that, I would offer a few comments:

1. It's only been a week, that's nothing! I've sold two roadsters before, my TT, and my old Boxster, and both took a little while to get going.

2. Craigslist may not be the best place for such listings, though that may be different in your area - here, it wouldn't be the first place I'd look. I definitely recommend Autotrader. And if you look in the classifieds on this site, you'll see that there aren't that many cars for sale, (and almost all 986s, usually) or very much responding traffic. You might try Planet 9 (started off as a 987 site) or Rennlist, too, to improve your odds.

3. I might even delete the reference to and pictures of the crease/scuff in the top - most of them get that after a few years, though (I'm told) this is very unlikely to actually lead to a perforation. Other than that your top appears in good shape, so many potential buyers (especially non Porsche, non-roadster experienced, non-enthusiast types) won't even notice it. And if you got the dealer to fix it under warranty, that's great - you're doing better than most.

Shame that you're selling it, but good luck with the sale. A silver 987 just says 'Boxster' to me, more than any other.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuyu79
good point about 04 986 Ss could be had for much less, then again 987 is totally different car.

Just out of curiosity, for under 25K, what will be your favorite fun car to own?

987 Boxster,
996 carrera
04~05 M3
wrx sti?
whatelse?
2006 Lotus Elise I paid $ 19,900.00 for it and I must say it is 10X more fun then my 99 Box.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #7

Agree with the above comments. You need wider exposure than Craig's List. Try some of the others mentioned plus Pano. Tough market and not the best time of year to sell a convertible. Good luck with the sale.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

thanks for all your feedbacks. I will try some of other websites. btw, that's a deal for a lotus under 20K, assuming it's got a clean title.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #9

i didn't get any responses here on my 02-s that i sold a week or two ago. It took a month or so to sell.
I listed it on craigslist, pca.org, cars.com and other non p-car sites.

Mine was no where close to perfect but it was priced accordingly.

you just need to be patient.

My buyer saw the ad on craigslist.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #10

Thumbs up fs:2005 porsche boxster

The Porsche Boxster is a mid-engined roadster built by Porsche. The Boxster is Porsche's first road vehicle since the 550 Spider that was originally designed as a roadster.The first-generation Boxster (the 986) was introduced in late 1996 as a 1997 model; it was powered by a 2.5 litre flat six-cylinder engine. In 2000, the new Boxster S variant was introduced with a larger 3.2 litre motor, and the base model received a more powerful 2.7 litre engine. In 2003, styling and engine output was upgraded on both variants.