Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2023, 07:49 AM   #21

honestly, dunno if i would trust hardware store fittings for a harness bar. if you forget about porsche-specific gear and go to a racing site like summit racing and search 'harness bar' you'll see that they have a bunch of generic options that might work for you.

otherwise, what kind of seats are you running? i ask as i've been using the factory roll bar with gt3 seats for my harness and, while the geometry isn't perfect, it ain't the worst.

the little loops are for a cargo net.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 06:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
honestly, dunno if i would trust hardware store fittings for a harness bar. if you forget about porsche-specific gear and go to a racing site like summit racing and search 'harness bar' you'll see that they have a bunch of generic options that might work for you.

otherwise, what kind of seats are you running? i ask as i've been using the factory roll bar with gt3 seats for my harness and, while the geometry isn't perfect, it ain't the worst.

the little loops are for a cargo net.
I've got nrg frp300 bucket seats. Very similar to sparco evo. The geometry is way off. You must be super tall if your shoulders are that high! I'd love to get my hands on some alien seats, but they're probably worth more than the damn car. Lol.

Im not usually too nit-picky about minor details with projects, but the harness install is different. If your shoulder straps are mounted above your shoulders, it will allow for vertical motion during a collision. Now that "close clearance" of the broomstick test becomes your head fully clearing the hoops (kinda like the reverse of submarining, if that makes sense). Look at the pic below and you'll see what I'm trying to avoid.

I agree with your sentiments about the hardware fittings. I think that I've over thought this and looked for something that's too fancy. my truck's gooseneck uses u bolts that are rated to 30,000# and with a 1/8" steel backer plate I think they'll do the job. I'm gonna try to get it rigged up in the next few weeks and I'll post some pics. Now I've just gotta find the damn 1.5" dom tubing that hardware stores DONT sell lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #23

i do understand the geometries required (hence my reference to such in my previous post) but would add that the gt3 seats appear to have a bigger opening for shoulder straps than does you momo seats. and while i'm not the tallest person around, the HANS adds an inch or two (and you should have a HANS on if rocking a harness ...).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 05:56 PM   #24

Sorry, I wasn't criticizing, I'm impressed that you were able to get the geometry right (I get preachy about the safety stuff and a lot of people don't understand the importance of it)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2023, 11:22 AM   #25

The spacer idea is pretty cool, then you could relocate the convertible mount holes down. But for all the effort it probably makes more sense to pay a fab guy to make one as tall as the silly Brey Krause thing.
Kind of surprising no one over sold such a thing for as much track use these cars got over all the years

986tate is offline   Reply With Quote