Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #1

Question Fireproof underwear price vs comfort

Do you have any advice for what to look for when buying my first set of fireproof underwear? There are no racing shops here, so I will need to order online. As such, I'm unable to check out the differences in quality and fit before buying.

I'm wondering what the differences in price and fabric entail. I won't use it much, so looking to save money, but I don't want to sacrifice too much comfort either. Are different fabrics warmer than others? I'm in Norway, so the temperature wont go above 28C/80F, but staying cool is always nice.

I need it to be FIA certified and as such I assume the level of fire protection will be similar across brands and price points. Where should I "level up" and where can I focus more on price? I'm thinking socks and balaclava can be affordable, while spending slightly more on trousers and tops may be worth it.

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #2

well, some thoughts ...

- make sure what you order has a sewn-in fia/sfi label, otherwise it can fade and not be visible during tech.
- if you get a 3-layer suit then you don't need the nomex underwear (depending on your rules).
- how hot does it get there? you might want to think about a coolshirt.
- i've not used it, but the new carbon-x stuff is supposed to breathe a lot better than standard nomex.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:56 AM   #3

Thanks. For the tips.
What do you think about flatlock seams? Do you consider it necessary?

- I don't think a coolshirt is needed. Average summer temperature is 24C
- I'll look into the carbon-x stuff.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 12-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

You can't go wrong buying Nomex underwear from any of the major brands : Sparco, OMP, Alpenstar, Stand 21, etc. All make FIA approved products. SFI is an American thing separate from FIA.

Optimal is two long sleeve shirts, a single long bottom + a couple pairs of socks and a balaclava or two. If you didn't size you helmet with a balaclava it may be a bit tight. Not running events over a whole weekend, one of each is sufficient.

I always wear some form of Nomex under my suit. It is up to 42C here during Utah summers so I have a few short tops and bottoms. Not FIA but I know the risks. I usually don't run a coolshirt unless it is over 28-30C.

The carbon-x and like finishes help a bit with garment funk over a weekend. Don't think it makes you feel cooler.

Tops and Bottoms can be rather pricey. Look for sales over the holiday.

My sizing - I'm an extra husky 5'7" - 195ish guy. Sparco M/L or OMP L Top/M bottom.
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:59 AM   #5

Agree w/ above. Stick with the name brands/top end. My experience has been the cheaper stuff fits weird.
P Cars: 1997 Spec Boxster - SPB #94 / 2022 Macan GTS / 2018 Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo ---- Other cars: 2021 F-250 Diesel / 2019 Golf R
Gone: 2020 GT4, 2004 GT3, 2003 Carrera, 1982 911SC, 2005 Lotus Elise and lots of other non-Porsches.
PCA National DE Instructor #202106053
nickshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:19 AM   #6

Sorry for the late reply and thanks. I got some Sparco bits, but have still not bought the shirt and bottom. Hoping to find some on sale.

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway