Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #1

Removing EVAP components and charcoal canister...?

I also posted this at the end of a long-dead thread, but I'm trying again here for better visibility.

I'm hoping somebody may be able to shed a little light on what I can and cannot do with regard to removing the EVAP system components from my 2000 Boxster S race car. In the interest of simplification and weight loss, I'm trying to get rid of as many of these EVAP parts as possible.

Eight or more years ago there was an extensive discussion on this topic, but my parts look a little different than those that were shown at the time. Also, and importantly, I can't find any mention of whether or not I need to keep the fuel vapor purge valve and related components.

Here's my whole system:

Here is a close-up of the purge valve:

And here's a close-up of the charcoal canister:

The letters on colored backgrounds show the various hoses and wires and are the same on all the photos for easy reference.

Here's what I think I know...

1. A, B, and E all go down toward the gas tank.
2. B seems to go INTO the gas tank (I can hear bubbling if I use compressed air in it).
3. C seems to come from the purge valve to the charcoal canister.
4. D comes from the gas filler "cup" in the fender, and down into the purge valve.
5. E goes between the purge valve and...? Not sure. Maybe the gas tank. I can't tell where it ends up, nor which way the flow may be.
6. F and G are electrical connections on the purge valve.

My questions:

1. Do I have to keep the purge valve, or can it be removed, too?
2. Either way, which of these parts do I need to keep (and/or connect to one another) and which can I remove?

I've tried blowing air down all these hoses and, so far at least, I haven't been able to hear anything at the back of the car...but I may need to have an assistant help me with that.

Any help you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

JSG1901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:26 AM   #2

to my understanding, if you don't care about the check engine light, just create a vent off the filler neck with a ball valve and that should be it.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
to my understanding, if you don't care about the check engine light, just create a vent off the filler neck with a ball valve and that should be it.
Maybe I´m a bit slow but what exactly does this filler neck do? Eg when would the ball valve be used? Open when refueling?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #4

Robert, the line from the filter neck is a vent that allows fuel to flow freely when fueling. Don't mess with this, it is the source of agony for those whose have gone awry.

B should be your tank vent. Don't block that off or you will have problems. A should be the filler neck vent line, see if you can trace it to the valve housing at the top of the fill neck

E should run back to the intake manifold and insert where the AOS connection is located. Pop off your inner panels and connect the dots. You may just be able to tell by the hose diameter.

This would mean that the system is set up as follows - 2 vents come into the canister, and when the purge valve opens the vapors flow into the purge valve via C to mix with neck overflow from D and then onto the intake via E.

I think the most important thing here is to confirm that the lines running into the canister are vent lines and to not block them off. I would just Y them back into the purge valve via C. Theoretically you could remove the purge valve assembly and Y everything together but I'm not sure what that would do in terms of unmetered fuel entering the system and it worked likely throw a CEL if you disconnect the wiring harness for those two solenoids.

I should say that I have no idea if any of this is correct, I'm guessing based on my (limited) knowledge of what should be there. This project is on my build list but I probably won't get there soon, but when I do I'll let you know.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk