986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Harness bar or use factory roll bar for 6 point belts? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/78926-harness-bar-use-factory-roll-bar-6-point-belts.html)

PaulE 10-16-2020 05:07 PM

Harness bar or use factory roll bar for 6 point belts?

Today I bit the bullet and picked up a pair of Porsche GT3 "alien" seats to use for HPDE track days. I am going to install them tomorrow without any harnesses and use my factory seatbelts for 1 HPDE at the end of the month, but over the winter I will buy harnesses and a HANS device. The shop I use for safety equipment is recommending a custom harness bar they offer rather than attaching the shoulder harnesses to the horizontal section of the factory roll bar. I think all the street driven Boxsters I have seen at the track have the shoulder harnesses attached to the factory roll bar. I am between 6-2 and 6-3 on my best days. I think I understand that the harness bar would sit lower and therefore make the shoulder harnesses more secure. If you have 6 point harnesses in your street Boxster, are you using your factory roll bar or a harness bar for your shoulder harnesses?

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1602896811.jpg

Van914 10-17-2020 07:27 AM

I'm using the factory roll bar in mine.

Quadcammer 10-17-2020 08:51 AM

I am also, but do a search on the correct belt angles and check out the results with the stock bar. As i recall it you want about a 10 degree down angle from shoulders to bar

PaulE 10-17-2020 03:34 PM

Thanks, I think I'll end up with the harness bar. I'll probably be taking the bottom seat cushion out when I'm on the track for the extra headroom with my helmet on. I did get the seats installed today, but it took me almost the whole day-had to figure out the factory seat belt receptacle attachment, remove duct tape glue from the back of the seats where the receptacles were, and get the correct seat belt receptacle hardware on inboard sides of the seats.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1602977577.jpg

steved0x 10-20-2020 06:15 AM

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and am running recaro Profi XL seats that are floor mounted and I ran my belts wrapped to the factory harness bar. The angles worked for me which made it simpler.

I ran my seat belt receptacle through the seat hole, otherwise I found that the seat belt didn't really fit tight against my body if the receptacle was on the outside.

That seat belt receptacle inner hardware, that is a tight fit ain't it :) That was a tricky part of the installation for me as well...

Here is a guide with some details if you haven't seen it before:
https://www.schrothracing.com/doc-share/schroth_installation_checklist.pdf

PaulE 10-20-2020 11:43 AM

Thanks for the instructions Steved0x! For whatever reason, Porsche provides an anchor for the receptacle on both sides of the seat, maybe the seatbelt anchor goes there instead of the the chassis in some applications, and they are not the same on both sides. For whatever reason they were backwards on my seats and I had to switch them around.

I drove 100 miles round trip to tech inspection last night in the seats. They are great once I'm in, but getting in and out is an ordeal, so the street seats will be going back in after this HPDE at the end of October. The seatbelt receptacle on the outside of the seat is ok, I don't know how it feel against my hip if on the inside, it's already a snug fit.

1thenaton1 11-01-2020 04:02 PM

I purchased the harness bar from stable energies, highly recommended. Sure you could get away with using the factory bar but you have a nice car, nice seats, why not do it properly. Seats and belts are a great upgrade, you will love it! No more aches the next day from holding on to the steering wheel around corners :)

PaulE 11-02-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 (Post 626259)
I purchased the harness bar from stable energies, highly recommended. Sure you could get away with using the factory bar but you have a nice car, nice seats, why not do it properly. Seats and belts are a great upgrade, you will love it! No more aches the next day from holding on to the steering wheel around corners :)

Thanks! Stable Energies is my shop for all my safety equipment, so it will be their harness bar. I just did our club's VIR HPDE with the new seats and stock seatbelts and a CGI seatbelt clamp. It was an improvement from the stock seats and next year will be even better with the harnesses. Now the seats will come out for the winter. They were fine for a 1,400 mile trip - about 1,100 miles of highway and the rest on the track, but getting in and out of the car is tough and I'm afraid I'll wear out the leather on the side of my seat getting in and out of them if I use them year round.

SGK 06-14-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1thenaton1 (Post 626259)

Hi 1thenaton1, if its not too much trouble, can you please share more details about the product, I can't seem to find it online.

1thenaton1 06-20-2021 09:11 PM

Try sending them an email, i think they make a batch of them every so often. It's not a complicated thing, just a bar with a coupe of custom brackets to attach to the factory roll hoop. If you search my posts on here i've posted a picture of it.

If you get in touch with them, I would love another set of the brackets! Lost mine in storage and have the harness bar collecting dust after I went full cage on my car

PaulE 06-25-2021 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGK (Post 637424)
Hi 1thenaton1, if its not too much trouble, can you please share more details about the product, I can't seem to find it online.

Yes, call Stable Energies or send them an email. I picked mine up from Stable Energies in January or February, they just had a batch made. They have them custom made in small batches.

bls72bmw 06-10-2022 05:12 AM

Unavailable

Hey Team, the Stable Engergies Harness Bar is not currently in production, and they didn't have a date for production.

Is there a different one out there that people recommend? I see a lot of generic ones on the internet, would any of those possibly fit?

Thanks!

Sveach756 12-06-2022 07:08 PM

Brey Krause (likely spelled wrong) harness bar