Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: TN
Posts: 14
I was surprised

That the cost of parts for a basic engine rebuild was so high. I bought the car because it was advertised as needs work. The last couple weeks I've researched about swaps. Looked at all I could find and adding up cost of each in my head sorta realized it would be about the same price within reason to do a swap, with a fresh motor. So I cleaned the tb/ MAF and put a crank sensor in it. Started it up and was a completely different sounding car. It made it past the dieing point so I drove it down the road. The suspension is tired, brakes need to be done and a mount of some sort is broken. Other than that the engine pulled strong and surprised me on how it felt. I'm going to drive it some more and search about flat 6's more. I think I let the research I did get into my head about failures.

Berryhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #2
Registered User
 
AZ986S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 375
Even just a top end refresh. New head bolts $250, all gaskets seals $300 ... Then sensors, water pump etc... That's if the bottom end is ok. If not then you are looking at $4k for a decent rebuild without new cylinder liners. The issue with these engines that I have found is lack of affordable aftermarket bearings and the fact that the crank case can not easily be reused if dammaged. This has been debated ad nauseum but if you rebuild you know what you have vs a used engine that has unknown history.
__________________
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 624
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryhill View Post
....The suspension is tired, brakes need to be done and a mount of some sort is broken....
Common issue is the front engine mount. It is just below the front pulleys on the engine.
__________________
"YouTube Certified in Various Specialties"
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: TN
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Even just a top end refresh. New head bolts $250, all gaskets seals $300 ... Then sensors, water pump etc... That's if the bottom end is ok. If not then you are looking at $4k for a decent rebuild without new cylinder liners. The issue with these engines that I have found is lack of affordable aftermarket bearings and the fact that the crank case can not easily be reused if dammaged. This has been debated ad nauseum but if you rebuild you know what you have vs a used engine that has unknown history.
I'm probably going to say it a supply and demand is the reason there's not much aftermarket parts, plus learning about the cylinder walls creates a problem. I can't believe I engine with 100k can cost more than I give for a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Common issue is the front engine mount. It is just below the front pulleys on the engine.
I'm gonna get back under there and look. Engine rocks forward so I assume it is the front.

Berryhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page