Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

Nitto NT01

hey y'all:
In the spirit of racerboy's hankook thread (but not wanting to hijack it) I thought i.d start another discussion here about another favorite tire.... and some questions.

So I bought a set of these NT01's for the PCA HPDE last weekend. I was VERY impressed with them, as far af their grip goes. Especially when they start to slide: so incredibly predictable and tractable. I loved them for that.

I mentioned in another thread that they were slipping around the wheel. This is somewhat disconcerting, but set that aside for a moment.

Here's my "concern", such as it is: so many people are saying they "wear like iron", and have lasted an entire season for some. But you'll see below the photos I just took. This wear is from a total of (5) 20 minute sessions. It seems like I might get 3 more Sessions out of them, tops. ??

What am I missing?

I'm running 225/45/17 and 255/40/17
3d negative camber in front, and maxed out at -2.35d in rear.

I started at 28psi, cold, and kept bleeding down to 34psi f&r.

Help?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #2
Pathological Tinkerer

Top one is in the stack is the right front? So harder on it with the counter-clockwise track configuration?

From my view from the pit, you were chasing down multiple cars each session. Especially the last session when you ran 1.49. Is it possible that the anecdotal evidence of 'lasting a full season' comes from people not as fast so they aren't wearing them out quickly?

Inner bead temps were around 10 degrees higher than the inners until the last session where there was a six degree difference. That and based on the chalk marks on the outer radii disappearing, you were definitely using the whole tire.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 AM   #3

I think they have 6/32" of tread depth/rubber, and shaving to 4/32" leaves only the 2 circumferential grooves, so the tread is only 2/32" deep, or 1/3 of the useable rubber, if you run all the way down to 0. With even wear, you should be able to run it all the way down until it cords. So less than 1/3 used up so far, so you may be able to extrapolate from that.

My first set of NT-01 lasted a really long time. I went to other tires, and my second set lasted less time, because i was faster. But i still got decent life out of the 2nd set, i can look it up and see. Just not "forever" like my previous set from 1-2 years before when i was slower but still a decent amount.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #4

Also key is rotating them side to side after each event (so on a clockwise track for example you aren't beating up only one side) and possibly flipping them on the rim halfway through their projected life to even out the wear. 1/3 wear for the tread. Then 1/3 to the wear bars. Then 1/3 wear till it looks like a slick. 2/32" + 2/32" + 2/32". You can also use the dimples in the tread to gauge depth and evenness of wear.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:15 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Also key is rotating them side to side after each event (so on a clockwise track for example you aren't beating up only one side) and possibly flipping them on the rim halfway through their projected life to even out the wear. 1/3 wear for the tread. Then 1/3 to the wear bars. Then 1/3 wear till it looks like a slick. 2/32" + 2/32" + 2/32". You can also use the dimples in the tread to gauge depth and evenness of wear.
All good stuff... thanks to both of you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #6

I get like 5 events or between 12-15 days out of a set. Yours look basically new and you can absolutely run them to the cords.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #7
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I get like 5 events or between 12-15 days out of a set. Yours look basically new and you can absolutely run them to the cords.
ok.... that's good to hear.

This would make sense with MaxD's comment that "eventually they're slicks and they aren't s great int he rain". haha.

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
It does vary somewhat based on heat, track configurations, and track surface but I typically get 8-10 days from a set of NT-01 before they cord. I swap L>R if running the same track multiple days and mount tires based on anticipated wear for the day.

I have run a bunch of different track tires over the years but NT-01 are still among my top 3 favorites after shredding about 20 sets. A good DE/TT tire that is predictable and manages heat well. RS4s last longer and are better in rain but are not as good dry grip wise. RE-71r seem to be just as fast but don't like heat and are gone in 4-5 days.

Last edited by Topless; 06-05-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #9

I always come back to the NT01. Like others have said - swap them side to side and you can run them to the cords. I get about 10-12 days or so on a set. They don't heat cycle out like other Rcomps that I've run.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote