986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Almost lost it but no! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/74413-almost-lost-but-no.html)

AZ986S 01-19-2019 05:40 PM

Almost lost it but no!

I don't know if that was the correct way to recover, but hey it worked... kinda...

https://youtu.be/_HvYuEx0XTc

thstone 01-19-2019 08:03 PM

A recovery is a recovery! :cheers:

maytag 01-19-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 587703)

Right!? That's what I'm saying too. And it was much cleaner than MY last incident, hahaha.

Watching the video is making me Jones abit though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JayG 01-20-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 587703)

Yup

Nice job!!!

steved0x 01-20-2019 06:38 AM

Spin it to win it! Nice job!

BYprodriver 01-23-2019 06:27 AM

Public Service Announcment

The following is a public service announcement:

Every automobile sold in USA is engineered to go straight unless the driver makes it turn. If you find yourself in the predicament demonstrated in the video, simply release your grip on the wheel & allow the steering wheel to spin thru your hands until it stops with the wheels pointing straight ahead as it was designed to do.

The car may not be heading the way you want it to, but you will be able to steer whichever way you need to go instead of sliding out of control. You can practice this technique during right angle turns on most public turns to get the feel of it.

Also while driving, in addition to looking as far away as possible, look where you want to go which will not always be straight out the windshield. Your hands tend to steer in the direction your eyes are looking.

MaxD 01-23-2019 07:04 AM

Well done - good car control.

AZ986S 01-23-2019 03:39 PM

Thanks. Good advice. Over compensating is a hard habit to break... When I watched drifting videos, I did notice that the guys just let the wheel straighten out and grab when straight again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 587900)
The following is a public service announcement:

Every automobile sold in USA is engineered to go straight unless the driver makes it turn. If you find yourself in the predicament demonstrated in the video, simply release your grip on the wheel & allow the steering wheel to spin thru your hands until it stops with the wheels pointing straight ahead as it was designed to do.

The car may not be heading the way you want it to, but you will be able to steer whichever way you need to go instead of sliding out of control. You can practice this technique during right angle turns on most public turns to get the feel of it.

Also while driving, in addition to looking as far away as possible, look where you want to go which will not always be straight out the windshield. Your hands tend to steer in the direction your eyes are looking.

The Radium King 01-23-2019 04:31 PM

we'd get in ******************** for that at our track - once we off we are supposed to stay off. brings crap onto the driving line, and our shoulders are pretty significant; an agressive move to get back on often results in you shooting across to the other side and hitting anything in the way as you do so.

husker boxster 01-23-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Radium King (Post 587943)
we'd get in ******************** for that at our track - once we off we are supposed to stay off. brings crap onto the driving line, and our shoulders are pretty significant; an agressive move to get back on often results in you shooting across to the other side and hitting anything in the way as you do so.

This was my initial reaction. We're taught and teach that if you put wheels off, DON'T immediately pull back on the track but SLOW DOWN, regain control (ie straighten out the wheel), and then re-enter the track with all 4 wheels. Proceed at a reduced speed and off the race line to the hot pit for an inspection. Pulling back onto the track at speed can result in uneven traction per side and wild results, esp if the track is narrow at that point or if you're in traffic.

Not trying to pile on, just discuss a teachable moment. Immediately pulling back on track is the natural instinct but if we engrain the better maneuver in our brains before it happens, we'll have a higher percentage chance of remembering it when the situation arises. Things happen quickly on the track and instincts take over.

Thanks for posting the video for discussion. We can all learn from it.

steved0x 01-24-2019 09:50 AM

You did better than me last Sunday morning:

https://youtu.be/z7K1cnsvO-4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z7K1cnsvO-4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Let me give all my excuses:
  • It was my first session of the day, in the 2nd run group to run
  • R-Comp tires, cold, and air pressures probably too low (set from the afternoon before)
  • It was rainy and cold (40's I think?)
  • It was only the 2nd hot lap and my tire weren't warmed up that much I bet
  • I was tired of being stuck behind whatever kind of cup looking car this was, held me up at VIR and several times the day before, and I had been stuck behind him the warmup lap and the first hot lap
  • I was pressuring for a pass and it was too much... I think if I had fully tracked out and stayed there, I would have been good

When it let go it really snapped, it wasn't a "regular" slide catchable by a regular person :) I can catch some, but this one was really fast :)

It was a good learning experience, not to do all of the stuff I listed above :)

AZ986S 01-25-2019 04:31 PM

Were you able to drive away? or did you have to get pulled out?
Looks like you initially tried to correct but then just gave up and held her steady to a dead stop.:)

jaykay 01-25-2019 07:07 PM

I have done both these put together in one incident....but managed to keep it on the road....facing the other way.....let it spin and put two feet in after going through numerous oscillations on corner exit and then getting it on straight section where I could lock it up going "straight".

I think I got into trouble by unconsciously lifting in in an a serious oversteer slide (rain/oil) when I would have been okay with keeping my foot in it and not moving the wheel too much.....there was too much concrete around and really fought it to avoid serious damage....not sure I could have let go of the wheel in this case.

Don't know the technique and will have to read up on it...not sure I could make it work for me as I fight like a dog in these situations.

steved0x 01-26-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ986S (Post 588015)
Were you able to drive away? or did you have to get pulled out?
Looks like you initially tried to correct but then just gave up and held her steady to a dead stop.:)

I was able to drive away thankfully. I made a feeble correction effort to catch it, but it was too little too late...

The weekend before i did get stuck in the mud, so when this happened i was like not again....

thstone 01-31-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 587960)
When it let go it really snapped, it wasn't a "regular" slide catchable by a regular person :) I can catch some, but this one was really fast :)

Remember how everyone raves about the Boxster's low moment of inertia? You just experienced it. In the right conditions, when it starts to go, it goes incredibly fast and you'll need very quick hands to catch it. Keep at it - practice makes perfect.

The Radium King 01-31-2019 08:24 PM

with a perfect 50:50 weight distribution it really doesn't care which way it's pointing, and will sometime let you know with vigour.

Pretzel 03-11-2019 11:43 AM

The weight distribution thing is huge, these cars are so tricky to catch once they start to go especially if conditions are at all slippery. You don't really have to worry about understeer much, but snap oversteer is always lurking around the corner.

rastta 03-11-2019 03:59 PM

I had the car a little over a year when this happened at Sears Point. You can see the point-by by the guy in the Cayman, who is a GT3 class podium driver. He later told me he had engine trouble. I pinched the turn to get around and the back just let loose. Should have left the wheel center, but I was trying to avoid going into him. Lesson learned.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NJ7jmqw5U3A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Racer Boy 03-11-2019 09:18 PM

I've found that it is often better to just let the car spin than fight it until you end up hitting something.

My best spin story was at the start of a wet race. I got a good start and passed a couple of cars, then passed about four more going into a downhill hairpin (this was at Pacific Raceways). Exiting the hairpin turn, I lost it and spun quickly. I knew that if I fought it and stayed on the track, I'd get collected by the pack behind me, so I put both feet in and cranked the wheel the wrong way, hoping to get all the way off the track. I'd like to say that I skillfully pirouetted the car 360 degrees and went on my way, but that wasn't the case. I luckily spun 360 degrees and went on my way! Of course all hell broke out behind me, so I'm pretty sure I didn't win the most popular driver award that race weekend!