Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 AM   #41
Racer Boy

Chevy or Audi V8?

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:55 PM   #42
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Neither, simply because it's been done. The engine I have has to my knowledge and extensive internet research, never been put in a 986, or any other Porsche.

For that matter, it's insanely rare, period.

I want to wait until it's in the car to share the info, but I will share some hints:

1: It weighs roughly the same as an M96.
2: About twice the power, before I fettle with it. (Not doing anything crazy, but necessity dictates a custom intake, exhaust, and ECU.)
3: Not American.

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 10-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #43
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSmokey View Post
Neither, simply because it's been done. The engine I have has to my knowledge and extensive internet research, never been put in a 986, or any other Porsche.

For that matter, it's insanely rare, period.

I want to wait until it's in the car to share the info, but I will share some hints:

1: It weighs roughly the same as an M96.
2: About twice the power, before I fettle with it. (Not doing anything crazy, but necessity dictates a custom intake, exhaust, and ECU.)
Ima guess an infinity VK45DE. 'Cuz that's what I would do.
Or a Nissan KA24DETT.

ANY HINTS? ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #44
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
You've got three hints already!

Okay, another hint then.

4.2 liters of displacement.

Tie that to the other hints and you might get an answer.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 AM   #45
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
You've got three hints already!

Okay, another hint then.

4.2 liters of displacement.

Tie that to the other hints and you might get an answer.
Audi V8????
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #46
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Got the 2.7 out today. ANyone want to buy an M96 with 150k miles and a slight timing chain rattle?

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 11-09-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #47
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Quote:
Audi V8????
Someone already guessed that!

Quote:
The engine I have has to my knowledge and extensive internet research, never been put in a 986, or any other Porsche.

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 11-09-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #48
Racer Boy

Cadillac twin-turbo V8?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #49
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Quote:
Cadillac twin-turbo V8?
Quote:

In other news, got the rear of the car stripped and ready for the new engine.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #50

Maserati Quatrtoporte 4.2 V8
azanardifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #51
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Yep! I was wondering how long until someone got it.

At the moment, the engine and trans are up at a place in L.A. Found a place that specializes in custom engine/transaxle adapters.

Other than that, the engine is going to be running a full Haltech 2500 ECU. I've already de-wired the back half of the car, as it's all getting redone. Even down to the brakelight wiring, i'm just going to simplify as much as possible. Did you know there's over 50 lbs of wiring in a 986 just from the driver's seat back? That's a whoooole lot to reduce. (Hoping I can get this car to below 2400 once all this is done.)

One thing I'm very much looking forward to is that for any SCCA events I do, the car is now in XP, which has a lot less restrictions on certain things, like aero. While I absolutely love the PHAT WANG that me and my codriver made from a piece of sheet aluminum and some home depot hardware, the XP class allows for a proper wing, and quite a large one, too, as well as a splitter. Even though auto-x typically features lower speeds, some really aggressive aero can make at least some difference at 40-60 mph.

We're not going to try and get the regional championship in 2020, what with getting the car running, then getting it running right, then getting it dialed in just so, but we are going to make as sincere of an effort as possible for the 2021 season. The goal is regional championship, and do our damnest to get to nationals. It's quite a severe departure from the beginning of this thread, where I mentioned that I was doing this just for giggles and etc., but we feel like it's a possibility, so why not?

However, before any of this, we gotta get the motor in. Stay tuned.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #52
Racer Boy

Just curious. why did you choose the Maserati/Ferrari engine? Those are really cool motors, and sound great, even with the 180 degree crank. Was it the power, engine packaging size, or just that it's something different?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #53
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
There's actually a lot that went into deciding on it. Myself and my codriver spent many, many evenings (and drinks and cigarettes) debating and researching engine choices. All in all, it's the best choice in almost every way:

1) It weighs 20 lbs less than the M96.
2) 400hp at the crank, bone stock.
3) It's about the same length and much narrower, and surprisingly not much taller. (4-5" at the top of the manifold, if i remember correctly.) As well, the location of the engine mounts makes it pretty easy to sit anywhere.
4) It's a dry sump engine. Good for racecar.
5) They're well proven to be extremely reliable engines.
6) You can pick these, a legitimate Ferrari designed and built V8, off ebay for less than $5k all day long out of wrecked/totaled Maserati QPs. They're so cheap because transmission and electrical problems led the the car itself being cheap. We truly feel like this engine is a hidden gem and will get more popular in the swap communities, especially if someone well known like Tavarish or someone of that nature (Maybe this will be OUR claim to fame) publicizes one.
7) It's a f******** Ferrari V8. How neat will that be!?!!??
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #54
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
So, I know i havent posted much in a while, but fear not! This project is very much active. The current hurdle, which is very nearly cleared, is the engine to transaxle adapter and custom clutch. After that, it's getting the engine in and mounted. As far as actual progress, well.....

Engine out, engine bay prepped. Found some new wheels in 5x130 bolt pattern! Some nice 3 piece units. 17x9 front and 17x11 rears. They even weight less than the BBS ones coming off. Plus, they have badass offsets that means no spacers are even needed. They're off getting cleaned and powdercoated at the moment, should be getting them back tomorrow. Pictures to follow.

The engine and trans should be getting back in the next two or three weeks, then I can start getting down and dirty with this girl.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #55
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage

Finally got my new wheels back from being powdercoated!! 17x9 fronts, 17x11 rears. Don't know that actual offset, but they go on and don't rub anything except the fenders. No spacers needed. Don't have tires for the yet, will probably wait until the car is running and all. Haven't weighed them yet, but they're lighter than the 996 BBS 5 spokes on it now.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #56
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage

In case you were wondering what it takes to attach an F136 to a Porsche transaxle. The whole kit was engineered and manufactured by Kennedy Engineered Products (obviously.) Now I can get down to the real work!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #57

I am living vicariously on the inter webs with this build!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #58

Quote:
So, I know i havent posted much in a while, but fear not! This project is very much active. The current hurdle, which is very nearly cleared, is the engine to transaxle adapter and custom clutch. After that, it's getting the engine in and mounted. As far as actual progress, well.....

Engine out, engine bay prepped. Found some new wheels in 5x130 bolt pattern! Some nice 3 piece units. 17x9 front and 17x11 rears. They even weight less than the BBS ones coming off. Plus, they have badass offsets that means no spacers are even needed. They're off getting cleaned and powdercoated at the moment, should be getting them back tomorrow. Pictures to follow.

The engine and trans should be getting back in the next two or three weeks, then I can start getting down and dirty with this girl.
Gonna put some strut braces or tube the chassis?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:45 PM   #59
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
The idea I have right now is that the engine mount is going to double as a brace. However, I made sure not to remove anything structural, so it shouldn't make much difference.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #60

I'd at least put something from strut mount to strut mount. That bulkhead that separates the trunk from the engine compartment/interior seems quite structural.

If it were me I'd take a piece of tube steel and make a mount at the left front of the engine compartment and run it to the RR strut mount. Then reciprocate it for the LR strut mount. Then make another tube steel mount from the RR strut down to the top of the LR subframe connection (and again for the LR side). Then a final one to connect the tops of both strut mounts.

You won't gain much weight by using some small tube steel but the rigidity will help more than you can imagine.

It does look cool without the trunk.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 02-25-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote