Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #121
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSmokey View Post
JayG, I'd love to read the pm you sent me, but for some reason that page won't load. I've been in contact with or visited most of the Porsche shops and various race shops all over town at this point, though, so I probably know them. Besides, there's not much Porsche left for them to work with!

Qingdao, sounds like you're staying pretty well on target for weight. As far as torque, you're aiming to have a bit more than I do, are you putting it through the 5 speed?
here is the info
Http://volligautowerks.com/

Adam Gill is the owner/head mechanic
858-693-9300

Tell him Jay G sent you

Adam know his **************** and how to set up a car
He also knows what he doesn't know and who to ask

He works on a good number of PCA and POC members cars

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSmokey View Post
Qingdao, sounds like you're staying pretty well on target for weight. As far as torque, you're aiming to have a bit more than I do, are you putting it through the 5 speed?

Wasn't really aiming for anything LOL just kinda what happened. I went with the lightest cam that would keep the engine RPMS where I need them (just so happens its the best cam for stock heads). All this was done for supercharger noise and reliability; I didn't know that the 5 speed was so weak till after I'd made the engine choice. Had I to do it over again I'd put a Honda 2.4l four cylinder with a blower on it. That engine would be good and reliable and it would make much less power than the 4.3.

250 - 300 at the wheel seems like a correct number. Stock Vortec heads make about 50ish torques per cylinder at max flow, and I'm probably gonna have half an atmosphere pushing down on it. 75 per maybe then take into account my more than likely not perfect tuning. Cram 450 through a poor transmission 250 - 300 is a good estimate IMPO.

Yup, the el-cheapo 5 speed. Gonna put it to the test. I don't drag race or track my car, its just gonna be my new daily driver. Even if I have to replace the trans 5 times it'll still cost less than switching to a 6 speed. So after this trans goes, I'll just replace it and rebuild the old one. Keep the old trans on the mend while I break the one in the car.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #123
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
JayG - I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Qingdao - I did the same thing. Though, if I had known the 5 speed's limits ahead of time, I probably would still have done it anyway because of how cheap it is. I can have three or four spares laying around for less than a 6 speed!

Instagram: @squonkwerkzgarage
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #124
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
More shots from the impromptu 'meet' over the weekend.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:08 AM   #125

I'm facebook friends with the guy who races this rallycross boxster in England. He has an Audi 2.7 twin turbo in it and prefers to use the 987 5 speed. He goes through a transmission every year and told me he usually blows second gear out when he is coming off dirt and onto tarmac. The 987 gear ratio is similar to the early 2.5 gearboxes. My other friend with the 3.4 also uses the 987 five speed and both believe the 987 transmission is stronger than the 986. Externally it looks the same as a 986 gearbox though. I believe the transmission code on top of the bellhousing for a 987 is GAL

Last edited by itsnotanova; 10-28-2020 at 05:11 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I'm facebook friends with the guy who races this rallycross boxster in England. He has an Audi 2.7 twin turbo in it and prefers to use the 987 5 speed. He goes through a transmission every year and told me he usually blows second gear out when he is coming off dirt and onto tarmac. The 987 gear ratio is similar to the early 2.5 gearboxes. My other friend with the 3.4 also uses the 987 five speed and both believe the 987 transmission is stronger than the 986. Externally it looks the same as a 986 gearbox though. I believe the transmission code on top of the bellhousing for a 987 is GAL

Does it take different axles? Bellhousing is the same I take it.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #127
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
If the 987 5 speed is stronger than the 986 5 sped but it nearly identical, I'll keep it in mind. But they're also about twice as much as a 986 box. If I have an issue with blowing my current box too often, i'll consider it.

Quick google search, and they certainly look pretty similar, if not the same.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #128

I talked to my friend with the 3.4 boxster that was previously a spec boxster. He works at Porsche of Plano and only works on race cars. He said that the synchros inside the 987 transmission are thicker, but everything else is the same as the 986. He swapped the 987 flanges for the 986 flanges because the 987 uses 10mm bolts and the 986 uses 8mm. The 1997-2002 986 inner cv joint is better for extreme angles and he's running 4 degrees of camber. He could have used 2003/04 axles (03/04 inner cv joints use a 10mm bolt with 8mm threads) but he felt the thicker 97-02 axles would last longer. The five speed is a good transmission if babied but you can't subject it to any kind of shock load. He uses the 987 5 speed because his car was already set up for a five speed, weight(6 speed is tough but heavier), and gear ratio.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:36 PM   #129

Quote:
I talked to my friend with the 3.4 boxster that was previously a spec boxster. He works at Porsche of Plano and only works on race cars. He said that the synchros inside the 987 transmission are thicker, but everything else is the same as the 986. He swapped the 987 flanges for the 986 flanges because the 987 uses 10mm bolts and the 986 uses 8mm. The 1997-2002 986 inner cv joint is better for extreme angles and he's running 4 degrees of camber. He could have used 2003/04 axles (03/04 inner cv joints use a 10mm bolt with 8mm threads) but he felt the thicker 97-02 axles would last longer. The five speed is a good transmission if babied but you can't subject it to any kind of shock load. He uses the 987 5 speed because his car was already set up for a five speed, weight(6 speed is tough but heavier), and gear ratio.
Yusss Thanks dude, and dude's internet friend from over the pond.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #130
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Hell yeah dude, that's great info!

Old 11-07-2020, 05:51 AM   #131
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage

tire letters are cool.

HELL YEAH BROTHER!

Old 11-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #132

Quote:

So funny to see that much suspension travel in a Boxster.

One thing about the Brits is they are true enthusiasts.

Wizard - Rock on. That car has to be a hoot!
SPB #50
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #133
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Apologies for such the delay in any updates. Haven't been doing much actual work to the car lately, other than driving it around, taking pictures, going to shows and showing it off.

(even in a line of classic Ferrari and Porschii, including a RUF Yellowbird, we still pull the crowd!)

But that doesn't mean we have been absolutely idle! The cheap oil resivoir we've been running keeps gurlging out the cap, so we dropped some real money on a nice Moroso unit. No problems since!

Also, the entire timeline of the car is now written on the hood. This started way back when we started racing it, as a way to keep track of who was faster. Now it includes all the work of the engine swap with dates. We plan to keep doing the lap time documentation, as well.

We have also decided to attempt a new exhaust setup. The 3" hater honkers were fantastic, but simply way too loud, even with the two Borla mufflers. So we've decided to drop down to 2 1/2 inch pipes. But that's not all! We're going to try 180 degree headers.

Yeah, this'll be fun.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:35 PM   #134

Wait... took me a while but 501??? are you a Star Wars fan?!?

Yeah, I can't stop driving my car too. TOO much fun to drive and I'm so confident in the engine after I dropped the compression from 11.1:1 down to 9.0:1. I've put over 300 miles since I got it back together last weekend. 87 octane NO PROBLEM.

So when are you gonna weld those doors shut, remove the links and guts from them? You know all that unnecessary weight. LOL

Old 12-07-2020, 12:39 AM   #135
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Hahaha, yes! 501st, baby! Although, that was done before the new trilogy came out....

Gutting and welding the doors has been something we've been planning on doing for a long time. We usually just hop the doors to get in and out, anyway. We just haven't gotten around to it.

Glad you've been enjoying your car! You've got one hell of a cool build, too. I also really like the hardtop. I want one, though we'd have to massacre the rollbar for it to fit.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #136
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Hey guys! I just realized that I haven't actually posted any updates here in almost exactly a year.

To put it shortly: Between work and moving to the opposite side of the country, the Porsche has had very few updates. It's been driven a good bit, and broken a few times, but the only real new thing on it are some cheap bolt-on fender flares on the rear.

Taken it to a few events, and a lot of shows. Haven't really raced it, though. However, that's because we've decided it's no longer going to be a proper 'race' car. It simply doesn't fit in classification for many race series anymore, and the few it can get in, it would be in some insane 'outlaw'-esque class. You know where it fits right in, though? Drift! Yeah, it's gonna be a drift car.

Until then, it's just a righteously insane hotrod.

Oh, and one other small update: I bought a bus and we hacked it into a car hauler/camper.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #137
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Two quick clips from our most recent outing:

Taking the car on a quick coffee run

it spits fire

Old 03-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #138

Just borrowed my dad’s ‘12 Quattroporte with the 4.7 F36. Holy shi+, that would be wild in my Boxster.
Showed him your thread but he wouldn’t come around
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:09 PM   #139
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Hell yeah! The 4.7 has even more power! The only reason we didn't go with a 4.7 was that it's wet sump instead of dry sump.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #140
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage

Wow, been a long time since I've posted here! Okay, long story short because I don't feel like typing a novel at the moment;

I put the back of the Porsche into a wall and bent the frame. Our solution was to build a tube frame for the whole rear end.