Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Looking at a 2001 S

I am considering buying a December 2000 production S. the local shop suggests a bore scope over the standard visual and computer inspection. Is that really necessary on a 3.2?
The car has no maintenance records, but lived most of its life in Ontario. Is there a way to find the records?

zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Is it a race car? (this is the racing section). If so, then it shouldn't be too hard to find the previous driver/owner since race cars are usually pretty well known in their home region.

If its not a race car, then you'll need to find the previous owner or where they might have had it serviced. Try calling around to a few of the local shops in Ontario and ask if the car was ever serviced there. Remember that some owners do their own work so there might not be any formal records.

A boroscope is usually used when trying to diagnose a specific problem or concern. A compression and leak down test might tell you more than a horoscope but the more info you have, the better decision you can make.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Is it a race car? (this is the racing section). If so, then it shouldn't be too hard to find the previous driver/owner since race cars are usually pretty well known in their home region.

If its not a race car, then you'll need to find the previous owner or where they might have had it serviced. Try calling around to a few of the local shops in Ontario and ask if the car was ever serviced there. Remember that some owners do their own work so there might not be any formal records.

A boroscope is usually used when trying to diagnose a specific problem or concern. A compression and leak down test might tell you more than a horoscope but the more info you have, the better decision you can make.

Thanks mate!
I unfortunately posted in the wrong section of the forum. This is not a racing car, can any of he moderators move it? Thanks.

I called all the official Porsche dealership in Ontario and only one had two oil changes on record. I guess my best bet is to call the indie ones now.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #4

Since the thread wasn’t moved, a bore scope isn’t necessary. A sump drop would much more beneficial and getting all the data read on a PST or Durametric.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #5

Northern engines have a higher rate of scoring and that's probably why they want to look
Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #6

Just a quick follow up.
I had the boroscope done to the car, and while it was driving fine it showed cracks on two cylinders. I am glad I invested some money for it.
I walked away from it and picked up a C4S cab instead
Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

Garage
Dodged a bullet
Old 01-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenocchio View Post
Just a quick follow up.
I had the boroscope done to the car, and while it was driving fine it showed cracks on two cylinders. I am glad I invested some money for it.
I walked away from it and picked up a C4S cab instead
Wow, good deal then. Not something usually done during a PPI. Did it have any symptoms to suggest going more in-depth? Just curious.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Wow, good deal then. Not something usually done during a PPI. Did it have any symptoms to suggest going more in-depth? Just curious.

No symptoms that made me believe that there was an issue. The car drove fine.
I figured out also why there were no maintenance records on it. Simply no maintenance was ever done to it. It still had the original spark plugs and coils.