Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

I love my little S

Had some new brakes put on this week just in time for a 1 day of instructing at CoTA.
My student didn't have a right seat -- so we did lead follow. Including running my own sessions -- I did 9 x 25 minute sessions yesterday in 90+ degree heat.

Lap times at the end of the day were as good as they were in the beginning of the day and not a whimper out of the poor girl.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Good on ya!!!
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Man, I find it so cool that there are tracks whers people are running 986's foŕ PCA DE days! Up here at Tremblant, people have too much money! All GT3's and stuff! Makes me feel like the poor cousin!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Glad that you had a great day!

And 9 sessions in one day? Damn, that's a lot of track time!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:02 AM   #5

It looks like you got your money's worth of track time. Are you participating in any other events at COTA or TWS? I need to buy a helmet and start getting out there
Old 06-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Man, I find it so cool that there are tracks whers people are running 986's foŕ PCA DE days! Up here at Tremblant, people have too much money! All GT3's and stuff! Makes me feel like the poor cousin!
Well at CoTA, there is no lack of money -- but someone has to represent the 99%ers.

The smile factor per $ of my Boxster is just phenomenal.

I've never been in a GT-3, and that's probably a good thing :-)

My 911 RSR is a a lot of fun, but a handful -- but there is something about
just being able to check air pressures, torque lug nuts, top off oil, clean the windshield and drive to and on the track and back.
The PITA factor is so low, I have to really want to drive the RSR to goto the trouble -- and I don't know I have that much more fun. But it certainly looks and sounds cooler :-)

Mike
Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
man, been wanting to rant about this for a while. you go to the rennlist canada regional forum (really, it should be rennlist toronto) and it's all db's sharing photos of their gt3rs' (guys who own two of them and have professional photogs take photos of them side by side) pages of discussion about the gt3 wait list (but don't worry they say, because they've got another $250k car to drive in the meantime) etc.

i mean, it's bad out west too - lots of arrivers (vs drivers) in their gt3's, but lots of hotshoes too, looking for the fastest thing. at the track there are always several gt3 and gt4's, as well as big $ italian and american rides, but for every $100k+ car there is a boxster, miata, s2000 and a a$$ton of brzs.

the best part is showing up in the oldest, cheapest, least hp car, and running with (often passing - last session i reeled in an aventador and a gt4) the big dogs. i love my little s too.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

I love my Boxster S and it's probably perfect for me just starting in HPDE - 2 last year and my first of 3 for this year just over a week ago. At the HPDE's I've attended, there have been lots of GT3's, a GT3 RS, some GT3 Cup cars and plenty of exotic stuff. But also lots of Boxsters, Caymans, 944s and older air cooled 911's. My instructor at my last event had a 991 GT3. Nice guy and a good teacher for me. He took me out in his GT3 during one session and he could and did really drive it!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Yep....one can safely it is 911 country up here. The second track car might be a 944. When I went out on track I was the only Boxster at times; I recall being looked at like a space alien...

The S is perfect just needs another 50hp at the wheels

Dunno if things have changed......I am karting my ribs out this season. Just wondering if this endeavour is going to ruin any regular driving skills I might have had a while back. The technique is radically different but it's intense racing right now.....

Last edited by jaykay; 06-16-2017 at 02:12 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Had some new brakes put on this week just in time for a 1 day of instructing at CoTA.
My student didn't have a right seat -- so we did lead follow. Including running my own sessions -- I did 9 x 25 minute sessions yesterday in 90+ degree heat.

Lap times at the end of the day were as good as they were in the beginning of the day and not a whimper out of the poor girl.

Mike
While I love my S -- I bought a Spec Boxster -- so I need to part ways...

Track Prepared 2000 Porsche Boxster S

Surely someone here can get her the track miles she craves...

Mike
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
still plays with cars...

Garage
Mike, what a sweet looking ride.
It's stanced just right.
I'd like to lower mine and have it look just like yours.
GLWS.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote