Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 11:23 PM   #1

Widening the track results?

I have the elephant racing front control arms which allow me to widen my front track by two inches (without messing with the suspension geometry but was thinking about widening the front and rear by 4"s total. So 2" wheel spacers in the rear and 1" spacers, plus control arm adjustments in the front. I'm assuming I would need to change out my spring rates and would end up with a increasing the scrub radius a bit (also my poor wheel bearings...) Has anyone widened their track? How were the results? Also, I understand I'd have to add some flares to accomplish this

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

I assume this was an oversight, when you said "without messing with the suspension geometry". But you will absolutely be impacting your camber. And, likely also impacting your caster dramatically. Unless the elephant racing control arms have the adjustment on the outboard end, but I have never seen that?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I assume this was an oversight, when you said "without messing with the suspension geometry". But you will absolutely be impacting your camber. And, likely also impacting your caster dramatically. Unless the elephant racing control arms have the adjustment on the outboard end, but I have never seen that?

The control arms extend and I have camber plates up top which I’ll slide over. So (according to elephant) be able to extend the arms and the camber plates to widen the car without changing geometry (I will be adding leverage on the springs though)
Old 02-05-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
The control arms extend and I have camber plates up top which I’ll slide over. So (according to elephant) be able to extend the arms and the camber plates to widen the car without changing geometry (I will be adding leverage on the springs though)
Yyp, that makes sense. What about your thrust arms? When you push that LCA out, that thrust arm will pull it forward, unless you're adjustable there as well. And I dunno.... where does caster become an issue?

Sorry, I'm not really addressing your real question about track width, only about how to get there. You're probably way ahead of these questions, Haha.

I don't have any fhe regarding widening the track as dramatically as you've described. I would have the same concerns you do. I'd be willing to deal with changing bearings regularly, if the change benefited me. But the scrub radius may be something to be more concerned about.

O1WTFO.
YOLO.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

This is interesting.....do the ER LCA have that much adjustment in them??? I would think scrub radius wouldnt change as you are keeping the upright king pin the same off set from the wheel centre line as before. I would think the only thing thing increasing steering effort would come from widening the track....if there is any effect at all.

I think have seen BBI autosports do this on one of their 996 projects.

I have front spacers on to give me higher steering effort as I dislike the shopping cart feel of zero scrub. I think your set would end up being far superior

Yes your effective spring rate will go down and bearing loads will go up. Are there higher capacity replacements available?

Last edited by jaykay; 02-05-2020 at 02:42 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:59 AM   #6

The ER arms can exceed the stock width by 1” per side. The more I’ve looked into widening the car the more daunting it becomes. I wish there was some data that would suggest if it’s worth it or not.