Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

How to launch 986

Is there a preferred way to launch the 986 MT? I'm coming from a Miata - on track day I would rev to 4k then side-step the clutch for a good launch. I've been doing AutoX for about 2 years, but always with my Miata. Looking forward to going with the Boxster though

Borin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
Treat your Boxster like an old Chevelle or apparently a Miata even, and it will quickly throw up its dual mass flywheel. Maybe it's just me, but that's past the line of abuse.
These cars don't tolerate that type of "driving" very well and it'll cost you dearly to fix.
Get the clutch up as quickly and smoothly as possible and do your accelerating while rolling. And no power shifting either, although it used to be a hoot to do in my old Mustang GT.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Boxsters don't launch. Best done in 2nd gear at about 30mph.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borin View Post
Is there a preferred way to launch the 986 MT?
Rev to 4,500rpm, drop the clutch, and peg the throttle on the floor!

This is the technique that I used to take the lead in a standing start race. Be ready to counter steer a little if the rear end squirms and be ready to shift to second when the rear tires hook up or you'll hit the rev limiter and lose momentum.

Its hard on the clutch, flywheel, and everything else, but its quick! (and a lot of fun). And yes, this might be considered somewhat abusive but that's racing.

This is how Brad Roberts described the start on Facebook;
This was so friggin COOL!! First time I've had a SPB involved with a standing start! I told the customer to launch the car around 3500rpm, that the tires would still be warm! He opted for 4500 and left a 50ft long black mark lol I'll post his in car video shortly, you see the car fish tailing slightly at launch...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-10-2016 at 02:41 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Boxsters don't launch. Best done in 2nd gear at about 30mph.

+986. It's just as fun to run away from 2 meters away from the light as it is to run away from the light, and the car is much more happy about it.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 AM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I'm glad this post is in the racing forum. In autocross, the difference between a win and second or third often comes down to tenths or hundredths of a second. A launch that boggs down or spins excessively is tough to recover from both mentally and through driving skill.
For me, there are two factors that affect a good launch: tire temp and "launch pad" condition. On my first run I'll rev to around 2500 rpm and let the clutch out quickly, but never with a sidestep. In temps below 60 degrees, that's usually about as high as I can get with out a big spin. When temps are 80+ and the tires are hot, I can get up around 3500-4K and still get good grip. If the asphalt is loose or there's just no rubber down, rpms tend to be around 3k.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

I agree, 3-4K with decent traction, release quickly so you get a bit of wheelspin. Don't try to feather/slip the clutch for an extended period, it's easy to overheat, and actually results in slower acceleration for me (987).
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
I agree, 3-4K with decent traction, release quickly so you get a bit of wheelspin. Don't try to feather/slip the clutch for an extended period, it's easy to overheat, and actually results in slower acceleration for me (987).
Beg to differ, respectfully. The launch is all about the clutch slip. The fastest launches i get, in a car or moto, is to rev to the middle of the power band, around 5k, then the moment i start to let the clutchout i peg the gas to the floor and from then on its all slipping the clutch. I modulate thd clutch so that i stay in the power band , 4-6k and if the wheels spin too much i slip the clutch more to regain traction. Same thing if i start to bog. Slip the clutch to get the rpms up.

Its a very delicate and very fast dance with the clutch but it works. But beware. This is very brutal on the clutch

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Rennzenn

Garage
I agree that it is a delicate & fast dance. My setup is an Aasco LWFW, Spec Sprung stage 3 clutch and 275 35 18 Hoosier A7 rear tires. All three of these bits are in play... YMMV, adjust accordingly.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:18 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Borin is offline   Reply With Quote