Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Flag workers love the 911

This is a short clip of this past weekend after I passed a 911 and then got a blue flag waved at me seconds later at the following corner station, presumably due to "the 911 that caught up to me and that I was holding up"?

Corner workers love the 911. Later in the weekend I was stuck behind a Carrera 4 for 3-4 laps with nary a blue flag to be seen.

Has anybody else seen that? It is kind of a running joke with the Boxster/944 guys that I run with

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Racer Boy

It happens all the time. The turn workers see what they think is a "faster" car behind a "slower" car and give the blue flag. When I was racing my Spec Miata, at one race a bunch of Porsches (all 911's) entered our race group, which was unusual. The thing was, they were all driven by yahoos that were way slower than their cars. They would hold the Miatas up terribly in the turns, then blast away down the straights. Of course they never got the blue flag!

Most of the Spec Miatas out-qualified the Porsches by a few seconds, which is an eternity. Before the race all the SM drivers got together to come up with a plan to prevent the Porsches from ruining our race - once the green flag flew, we would all spread out across the track and block the Porsches from passing us on the straight. Once we got to the first turn, it was business as usual, which meant a hammers-and-tong battle all race. We we came up to lap them, the workers never gave the 911's the blue flag, but when we freight trained by them, then we got the blue!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
It happens all the time. The turn workers see what they think is a "faster" car behind a "slower" car and give the blue flag. When I was racing my Spec Miata, at one race a bunch of Porsches (all 911's) entered our race group, which was unusual. The thing was, they were all driven by yahoos that were way slower than their cars. They would hold the Miatas up terribly in the turns, then blast away down the straights. Of course they never got the blue flag!

Most of the Spec Miatas out-qualified the Porsches by a few seconds, which is an eternity. Before the race all the SM drivers got together to come up with a plan to prevent the Porsches from ruining our race - once the green flag flew, we would all spread out across the track and block the Porsches from passing us on the straight. Once we got to the first turn, it was business as usual, which meant a hammers-and-tong battle all race. We we came up to lap them, the workers never gave the 911's the blue flag, but when we freight trained by them, then we got the blue!
SWEET! That sounds like a plan!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Here is another session, stuck behind a Carrera 4 for a few laps with no point by...

Old 06-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

Everyone knows that Boxster'z and 944'z aren't real Porsche anyway!

Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

Hello steved0x,

i think you have to put big 911 stickers on the front, sides and back of your car.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

I'll do like Pedro and put a GT3 front bumper so folks can't tell I am a boxster from.behind....
Old 06-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Mind you - I'm in my "lowly" S4 (430whp). Apparently Johannes van Overbeek was in the right seat giving "pro coaching". Never mind the fact that the guy couldn't enter or exit at all.........

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Mind you - I'm in my "lowly" S4 (430whp).
Damn that track looks fun, scary as he'll with some of those blind summits, but fun all the same.

Yeah, porsche driver was a bit of a d-bag, reminds me of a chap I came across on track (Snetterton ) in England, he was in an English Type jaguar, I was in my GTR (R33), old git would not get his mobile chicane out of the way!!
jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Mind you - I'm in my "lowly" S4 (430whp). Apparently Johannes van Overbeek was in the right seat giving "pro coaching". Never mind the fact that the guy couldn't enter or exit at all.........
You showed amazing restraint. And you made me miss my lowly B5 S4 avant!
egress91506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by egress91506 View Post
You showed amazing restraint. And you made me miss my lowly B5 S4 avant!
LOL - yeah. I was pretty pissed - especially since there were passing zones and it wasn't open passing.

You know - I loved that car - but it was always having one issue or another. As for Avant's - I've owned 3 - B5, B6 and B7 A4 Avants.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote