Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Tire Suggestions Needed

I have 2 sets of wheel and it's time to buy new tires. I'm working toward spec racing but still 1-2 years away from taking a run at it. Car is stripped, PSS9s & Swift springs and at 2860lbs last time I checked. No cage but seat and harness installed. I've joined a track club and need to drive about an hour on the highway to get there on the track days. I'll still be doing a track weekend a month this summer in addition to the weekday trips. Just not sure what to purchase. Should I stick with Toyos? RA1s since I'll be driving on the highway, RRs to get seat time on the competition tire? Go for another brand all together? Any suggestions appreciated.

I can get storage for a set at the track but I'd rather not change wheels prior to running on the track days. It's also a Midwest location so I don't want to get caught on the highway on RRs in the rain.

Thanks for the help

P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Look at Bridgestone RE-71 and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec

Both are good street/Track/AX tires

The RE-71 is probably the fastest "Street" tire around, but they do nbot last very long. The Star Spec's are just a tad slower than the RE-71's, but will last alot longer

If you are running Boxster Spec, you have to use the tires that are spec'ed for that
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #3

The Spec Boxster tire is the Toyo RR. Despite being technically street legal, Toyo and their dealers have a policy against selling them to anyone who plans to use them on public roads. I tried, they wouldn't.

I also drive my Spec Boxster to the track for DE days, and I went with the Toyo RA1. It's good, but not as good as the RR (which I had on for a couple of track days). The RA1 used to be the spec tire. I'm told by guys who raced them back then, that they just get better and better as they wear down, the best right before they cord. The RRs on the other hand have an optimum number of heat cycles, and then they trail off, long before they cord.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I would suggest getting the most practice time on the tire that you're going to race on (if you can afford it).

I use Toyo RR's and drive them on the street to/from events. I have bought them from retail stores, TireRack, and other online stores without any problem. Not sure what's going on up in NorCal!

I have also driven Toyo RR's in the rain several times on the way to/from the track and its not as bad as everyone makes it sound. Sure you have to slow down and it helps if you can follow the tracks of the car in front of you. But its not like you'll automatically die. If you know how to drive, you will be fine (just go slow enough not to hydroplane).

The RA1 should be shaved before use on the track otherwise they will squirm around like crazy for a few sessions.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

The only bad thing with Bridgestones is they generally are a very heavy tire. Usually about 4lbs heavier than comparable other brands.

I run R888's on the Boxster now - and have another set of wheels with Yokohama Advan Slicks. I got decent use out of my last R888's - but they heat cycled out before wearing out. I like the R888's because if it's wet out they work pretty well - not in lots of water - but then again I don't really go out if it's raining hard.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

I would put a set of RR's in track storage and run with RA-1's back and forth. If the day is dry swap to RR's, if not run with the RA-1's as they are an excellent rain tire until they are too worn.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
RA-1, R888, NT-01 as excellent practice tires you can drive to the track and learn the car. Once you enter competition you will need to go with the RRs to be competitive in BSR.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
I would put a set of RR's in track storage and run with RA-1's back and forth. If the day is dry swap to RR's, if not run with the RA-1's as they are an excellent rain tire until they are too worn.
This is probably the best way to go for me.
P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #9

Agree with Rastta, when I shopped for tires to replace Potenza re040 with Hankook EVO -12 the Bridgestones were 2 lbs heavier each. Ishihashis are heavy.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

i'd give a nut for on-track tire storage.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote