Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Starter woes - starter won't start when hot

I was aware of this problem with the car when I bought it - as the seller indicated that he'd have problems and eventually ran a hose to the starter to help keep it cool. After problems at my first event - when my wife and I share the car - it has little time to cool down in between sessions. It turned out the battery was bad and was replaced. However - since then the problem hasn't been completely solved. When the car is cold and the battery fully charged - it starts no problem. During or after a session when the car is hot - the car won't start and it's as if the battery is low. Shortly after installing the new battery I changed all the connections at the battery as well.

Also - after my last event in October - I put a heat wrap starter blanket around the starter and directed the cooling hose under the blanket. Still has solved the problem. I can jump start it when hot - but otherwise it just cranks really slow before simply not cranking at all.

Engine is a crate 3.6 996 motor and I believe the standard Boxster S six speed trans. I even have dual cooling fans above the engine to help keep it cool.

Is this a common issue? I'm going to go through all the cabling to make sure I have good solid connections - but at this point - I'm thinking I might just put a new starter in.

Any help would be appreciated!

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Been searching online about this issue. Seems like it might be the cable between the Alternator and the Starter. Lots of heat and corrosion issues related to voltage drop and hard starting when hot. Ordered one with some other maintenance parts as it was pretty inexpensive. We shall see.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

It can also be a faulty coolant sensor on the front of the engine.
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Spent the weekend redoing all the positive cables (near 15 feet of it including my direct to starter jump cables) by replacing the 2 gauge cables with 1/0 cables, replaced the OEM cable from the alternator to the starter AND the starter. I also wrapped the starter and the solenoid in thermal wrap for starters and keep the cold air feed that goes from the side scoop to the starter which the original owner had done.

Redid all the cable ends and replaced some of the negative cables throughout. New terminals on the battery as well. The car had two battery grounds and I kept those as well as replaced the engine to body ground at the rear.

Car fired up effortlessly - much better than it's ever has previously - even when cold. Hopefully it will do so when hot as well.

Battery was relocated to the front by the original builder - I just replaced the cables.

Remote kill switch - it's wired to a pull lever in the car and on the outside by the drivers side mirror.

Remote jump lugs behind the passenger seat - direct wired to the starter.

New cable in housing through the tunnel.

Into the fire wall.