View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
rastta

Starter woes - starter won't start when hot

I was aware of this problem with the car when I bought it - as the seller indicated that he'd have problems and eventually ran a hose to the starter to help keep it cool. After problems at my first event - when my wife and I share the car - it has little time to cool down in between sessions. It turned out the battery was bad and was replaced. However - since then the problem hasn't been completely solved. When the car is cold and the battery fully charged - it starts no problem. During or after a session when the car is hot - the car won't start and it's as if the battery is low. Shortly after installing the new battery I changed all the connections at the battery as well.

Also - after my last event in October - I put a heat wrap starter blanket around the starter and directed the cooling hose under the blanket. Still has solved the problem. I can jump start it when hot - but otherwise it just cranks really slow before simply not cranking at all.

Engine is a crate 3.6 996 motor and I believe the standard Boxster S six speed trans. I even have dual cooling fans above the engine to help keep it cool.

Is this a common issue? I'm going to go through all the cabling to make sure I have good solid connections - but at this point - I'm thinking I might just put a new starter in.

Any help would be appreciated!
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote