Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

detachable steering wheel

Putting finishing touches on my seats, harnesses, but need a detachable steering wheel. Looking at the momo's. What else is needed to besides the wheel. Spacers, latches etc. Cannot seem to find an inventory

jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

alright got most of this set, seems i need
1) steering wheel hub adaptor
2) spacer
3)quick connect
4) wheel

Is there a hub adaptor that does not require a spacer?
Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasjmac View Post
Putting finishing touches on my seats, harnesses, but need a detachable steering wheel. Looking at the momo's. What else is needed to besides the wheel. Spacers, latches etc. Cannot seem to find an inventory
Mine is basically a 2 piece unit - the hub that attaches to the steering column and the second piece that incorporates the quick release mechanism that attaches to the wheel. Then of course the wheel.

Mine is similar to this:

Steering Wheel Quick Disconnect-Rennline - Porsche Performance Parts, Accessories & Race Parts for Porsche, BMW & Audi
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

hub adaptor - required to adapt the splined steering column to the momo bolt pattern (a generic pattern typical on omp, sparco, etc., steering wheels).

quick release (QR) - this mounts between the steering wheel and the hub adaptor (ie, momo bolt pattern on each half). street car? then you will need one that allows you to continue to use your horn (NRG make one).

steering wheel - tends to be generic momo-style bolt pattern, unless you go with an atiwe or something with the three bolt pattern.

if momo then presume no airbag. in that case you need a resistor to fool the computer, or run with a warning light (if I recall correctly you need a 4.7 ohm half watt).

make sure the hub you get is designed to work with the 986/996 - the steering column is a little longer on these cars and you often needa spacer to make Porsche hubs fit.

check out fvd for Porsche-specific packages ...

FVD Brombacher Online Shop - FVD34710003 - Steering Wheel "Rally Style" black suede, incl. retro fit adapter and horn pad w/logo - Tuning → Interior → Steering_Wheel → Sport_Steering_Wheels
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post

if momo then presume no airbag. in that case you need a resistor to fool the computer, or run with a warning light (if I recall correctly you need a 4.7 ohm half watt).

To defeat the warning lights just take the binnacle off and remove the light bulbs, takes about 15 min. You can also remove any other offending warning light bulbs then as well.
P993C2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #6

Wheel is in. the flat bottom gives me another inch of leg room where every inch counts! Getting the horn hooked up to the buttons on wheel is another matter
Old 10-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #7

Looks good!
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

Are you aware of the 964 part to power up the horn. Will work with the boss you have.

jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote