Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #1

First Track Day with the Box, what should I replace?

Its finally time to take the Boxster to VIR, besides the usual tires, brakes and fluid changes do you have any recommendations? For example I just replaced the coolant tank since that's a soft spot am I going to replace those shift linkage cups that are known for breaking on the track. Any other Boxster week points to address? Right now it sees 20 or so Autocrosses a year and is running an SCCA B Street setup so it should be fairly ready to go.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Its finally time to take the Boxster to VIR, besides the usual tires, brakes and fluid changes do you have any recommendations? For example I just replaced the coolant tank since that's a soft spot am I going to replace those shift linkage cups that are known for breaking on the track. Any other Boxster week points to address? Right now it sees 20 or so Autocrosses a year and is running an SCCA B Street setup so it should be fairly ready to go.
Replace your drive belt. Even if it doesn't look bad. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #3

Drop links are always going out on my car prematurely. If you have 50k+ miles on the car and the front motor mount hasn't been replaced, it's probably shot.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

IMHO, a well-maintained Boxster is a very good track day car in terms of both performance and reliability. And since you've run AX on a consistent basis the majority of weak spots would have already raised their head.

The big difference between AX and a continuous lapping event will be higher speeds and longer duration so tires, brakes, and fluids become more important.

The only thing that I will add is to be sure to take care of yourself in terms of rest the night before and proper hydration and food through the day. You'll find that maintaining 100% focus through four or five 20-30 mins sessions to be both mentally and physically exhausting. Hydrate early and often along with eating foods that "agree" with your personal metabolism.

Let us know how it goes and post up some pic's and/or video after the event!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 04-14-2015 at 11:51 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Replace your drive belt. Even if it doesn't look bad. Cheap insurance and peace of mind.
Excellent idea! I believe I changed it three miles ago so its probably about time.

As for the links all the suspension is new (M030) and the front bar and links are GT3. The GT3 bar is a great addition to those who haven't done it yet

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote