Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Garage
986 with a 3.8L GT3 Engine

Hi I'm just starting up the build of a track car for a client.
We has just bought a cheap 2.7L 2001 model to start with and the idea is to build a competitive race car from it for a open class racing series.
It had just arrived a 2008model 997 GT3 donor car that we gone pick some parts from to start.
I have never put 997 parts in a 986 so al kind of help is welcome. As I have a company that make light weight body parts cor racing we gone substitute the mayor of the body for composite items.

El Vikingo Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #2

We had a customer that installed a 3.8 Turbo engine in a 2001 986, when he was finished, it ended up costing more that if he had just gone out and bought a complete running and drivable 997 Turbo car. View ain't worth the climb..............
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

I think it's worth every dollar.

Why buy a 997 Turbo everyone else has when you can have something unique, and truly your own.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

i'd be interested to know where the costs, issues, etc., were on this project. i'm thinking more gt3 than turbo engine, so I presume less space required.

also, a lot of guys seem to go through a lot of effort to match the metzger engine to the boxster transmission; would it not be easier to use a g96 transmission and reverse the final drive? fitment issues? modified engine and transmission mounts?

one issue is the location of the oil filter - is there any way to relocate it? otherwise you gotta cut the firewall.

otherwise, it should just be fueling and ecu issues, no? adapting these to a Metzger should be no different than some of the 996/997 conversions already happening.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Garage
What engine

First of all I have to tell you that this client has no special interest in Porsche so hi dosent care if I put in an engine from an udder brand! He just want a fast and trouble free car to race with.
The start budget on this car is +25.000 € this year and the same for next year. So we has to look around on the Porsche junkyard for parts to make this little car fast.
As I'm a fan of Porsche I'm gone try to make the car with as much original parts as possible.
But at this moment I'm on a tree week holiday in Europa ones I'm back the real work start.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Subscribed......
mmporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vikingo Tropical View Post
First of all I have to tell you that this client has no special interest in Porsche so hi dosent care if I put in an engine from an udder brand! He just want a fast and trouble free car to race with.
The start budget on this car is +25.000 € this year and the same for next year. So we has to look around on the Porsche junkyard for parts to make this little car fast.
As I'm a fan of Porsche I'm gone try to make the car with as much original parts as possible.
But at this moment I'm on a tree week holiday in Europa ones I'm back the real work start.
I know this is a Porsche forum and I love my Porsche, but if his goal is a fast and trouble free race car may I recommend 700hp in a 2,150 lbs mid-engine car?

The World's Fastest Lotus? - /TUNED - YouTube

not sure about the trouble free part, but I believe they were using toyota engines for a while in the lotus so that should be a relatively good engine, and even 300 or 400hp would be massive in a 2,150 lbs vehicle
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
I'm subscribed, too.
Odds are stacked against you for putting the GT3 engine in the Box for 25K Euros this year, but I'm rooting for you!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #9

€50k on a two year spill for junk yard parts, meant for a trouble-free race car, sorry but until today this does not exist. If I'd be you, I'd send this customer next door on rollers and concentrate your business toward realistic and profitable projects instead.

Sorry to be a bit straight forward but I know a performance garage owner who "had" plenty of customers (dreamers) who fancied stuff of the like. Results are always the same; customer is never satisfied and WILL make YOU responsible for this.

Run away from this mate. My advice
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10

Garage
GT3 No

I just had a lock at the GT· engine and it's haven't the same pattern as the normal 911/boxster.
So no we has to look at udder possibility's...
1. I have in the work shop an Cayenne turbo S engine that I bought cheep It has the power but to heavy for my taste.
2. By a normal 997 3.8L engine cost around 8000€ and have ok power and is easy to put in.
3. Purchase an corvette C6 engine and an adapter kit from US.

To be honest I don't know but I have to do something so we se what to do!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

You can do #3 fairly easily because many of the custom parts (motor mounts, etc) are already done by a company in Las Vegas: www.renegadehybrids.com
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I think it's worth every dollar.

Why buy a 997 Turbo everyone else has when you can have something unique, and truly your own.
Where do you live that everyone else has a 997 Turbo?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #13

was it intentional or unexpected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
We had a customer that installed a 3.8 Turbo engine in a 2001 986, when he was finished, it ended up costing more that if he had just gone out and bought a complete running and drivable 997 Turbo car. View ain't worth the climb..............
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #14

if you're considering doing an LS swap, message me.

I swapped my 996:
996ls1.blogspot.com

white out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Where do you live that everyone else has a 997 Turbo?
Sorry, let me rephrase. Matt Le Blanc sang the same tune when he was on Top Gear.

If any regular person can go out and buy a nice sports car, wouldn't it make sense that a petrolhead have that same car, but a little better? :P
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
was it intentional or unexpected?
Bit of both, the Metzger engine is totally differnent than the M96/97 (much taller), uses a true dry sump system with externally mounted de areation and storage tanks for the oil (lots of it), needs to have plumbing for the intercoolers, twin oil coolers, etc., etc. Everything is in the way of everything. Lots of fabrication, and having to find places to stash components that the car was never designed to carry.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by white out View Post
if you're considering doing an LS swap, message me.
I swapped my 996:
996ls1.blogspot.com

OH MY! Can you give us a summary of the job and the results?!!?!!!?!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #18

LS1 into 996
Old 10-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #19

I actually contacted the guy as I picked-up on the fact that he's running a depowered steering rack in the car. he says the steering isn't heavy at all even with big 18x8 rims on the front. also says there is no dead spot in the middle (as can happen with converted racks). so, if you don't want to hook-up an electric PS system, consider manual - lots of threads on the interweb on how to de-power 944 and Miata PS racks.

I guess point of this post is that he's a nice guy and will answer questions (although he's flooded right now since his car got listed on bringatrailer.com).
Old 11-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #20

Garage
Has to be a POrsche engine

As I like Porsche engines I want no udder brand of engines.
So I have an Cayenne Turbo S engine in my garage but its to big and heavy, to be honest it looks like an truck engine!
So the only udder option is an 997 3.8L engine with 385hp I can get a low km unit over her for 7000€.
This how the car looks at the moment.

We are taking the suspension from a 997Cup car as that car was improved with better things.
Attached Images