Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

fuel cell

help! looking to prep a car for next year. regs in may area state that I can run in ST or GT with my car (boxster with a 3.6 swap). in ST I would have to weigh 3178 lbs which is too heavy. in GT I can weigh 1900 lbs but need a fuel cell.

so, any ideas on fuel cells? I can find two companies that make 996/997 cells which I assume will fit the boxster, but we are talking $7k and crazy prices like that. any alternatives? anyone fit a generic cube in the frunk and survive tech? any other options? solutions? work-arounds? free fuel cell giveaways?

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
SPB racer

Garage
I wonder if you shouldn't speak to your organizers about an exemption for the Boxster. It has a very flexible tank mounted in a fairly remote place and I suspect that a Cell mounted forward of the current tank would actually be more vunerable to rupture than the current set up. You would actually be installing it in the crush zone rather than behind it. NOTE : I am presuming (without knowledge) that you would fit a standard cell into the frunk rather than have a custom made job done for the stock tank location.

Failing that just search fuel cell and find one that will fit in the frunk. I suspect you could get something to comply with stupid rules for less than a couple of grand. All you need do is bracket itin and connect the two hoses.

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote