Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #41
Boxster Abuser

Mold is made! First carbon fiber roof out of the mold is on my car and ready for fitment. We need to make sure everything is good with the mold and that we don't need to make any changes.

This carbon fiber version weighs in at 19lbs. That will grow once we add the lexan windows and latches but it is going to be a great weight saving over the stock roof, clam shell, and rear lid.

We're aiming to keep the price of the carbon roof under $2k. Shipping will be the biggest hurdle to conquer, I think. We don't have any plans of a fiberglass model because the roof structure really needs the carbon to be rigid enough.

4.0L Dry Sump Boxster GT race car - HRG #23
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Eric523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #42

Looking good buddy...
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #43
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If the price comes in under 2k, I will be one of the first in line
Old 04-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #44

Very nice looking --

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric523 View Post
Mold is made! First carbon fiber roof out of the mold is on my car and ready for fitment. We need to make sure everything is good with the mold and that we don't need to make any changes.

This carbon fiber version weighs in at 19lbs. That will grow once we add the lexan windows and latches but it is going to be a great weight saving over the stock roof, clam shell, and rear lid.

We're aiming to keep the price of the carbon roof under $2k. Shipping will be the biggest hurdle to conquer, I think. We don't have any plans of a fiberglass model because the roof structure really needs the carbon to be rigid enough.

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #45

I am truly interested in this! I have a 2001 986S that I will be converting to a racer in the next year. My goal is ICSCC ST (10:1 max) and NASA GTS3 (11:1max). Your car is a great inspiration and I may just have a few questions for you. Beyond that, this top looks like a great option at a minimal premium over a FG copy of a factory hard top.

I am in Portland so I can find some racer to transport it up here hopefully. Definitely watching this!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #46

Very interested

Please keep me on the short list when you go into production.
I could a little aero.
Thanks
K.C.
986 S w/ 3.6ltr gt3 rs motor, flipped trans & more bars then a college town.
Great fun
986gt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 PM   #47

Looks awesome, it makes it look like a different car. Reminds me of the "Mugen" top for the Honda S2000. They have a carbon fiber top that extends to the back of the car for aero, and if I recall, it was nearly 7 grand for a solid carbon piece.

And are those 997 turbo brakes?
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #48
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeExpert View Post
Looks awesome, it makes it look like a different car. Reminds me of the "Mugen" top for the Honda S2000. They have a carbon fiber top that extends to the back of the car for aero, and if I recall, it was nearly 7 grand for a solid carbon piece.

And are those 997 turbo brakes?
Thanks!

The brakes fit a few models and a 997 Turbo with PCCB is one of them, except the paint on these is red instead of yellow for the street cars with ceramics. The unique bolt spacing on these makes them a little rare but they fit with my 996 GT3R front uprights.
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #49

Wow, I actually love this thing.

I do have experience in composite tooling and fabrication, and there has been some good discussion. I actually liked the poster who put up the low numbers because it brought forth some more correct assumptions.

The tooling at that low dollar amount would be crude and not very durable. If you're going full boat you want to make a tool heavy and with excellent surface finish. Also, $300 worth of fiberglass would be just this side of chopper gun work - polyester resin, cheap gelcoat, heavy layup. Would look fine from 15' and may work okay for racing car fit and finish. But then you'd have to deal with whiny P car aficionados that expected mirror finish and no gaps.

The concept of loaning out tools reminds me of back "in the day" when that was how fiberglass kayaks were made. The problem is the owner of the tool depends on people using proper release methods, not hammering the crap out of the edges trying to pop their part loose, etc.

If you're really going to be able to produce a carbon fiber prepreg part with even half way reasonable finish, no headliner, etc for under $2k then my hat is off. It looks sexy! I'm going to be watching for these to be available to mere mortals. I'd drive to CA just to pick it up.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #50

Interested in your top shell for our project vehicle. I understand the need for CF rigidity in some applications, but ours is a bit different so could work with knitted glass fiber and wet layup (if properly spec'd). Do you have any interest in producing and selling us a shell only in polyester or epoxy? Would like to discuss this with you.
captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #51
Boxster Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captzoom View Post
Interested in your top shell for our project vehicle. I understand the need for CF rigidity in some applications, but ours is a bit different so could work with knitted glass fiber and wet layup (if properly spec'd). Do you have any interest in producing and selling us a shell only in polyester or epoxy? Would like to discuss this with you.

The current delay has been available time and also rigidity of the carbon construction. Because of the shape, light weight, thin B pillars, and thin overall construction, we're working on increasing the rigidity so even the carbon version is suitable. I don't expect to be able to produce a top that works out of glass fiber. I think the pricing will be such that the carbon works out OK.

Since I blew up my 3.6L engine, I've invested too much $$ into developing a dry sump oiling system and a high compression 4.0L and 3.8L engines. Which of course had eaten up the hardtop resources. Now that most of those parts have been machined, we can get back onto the roof. Car has been down for over a year for these projects and its about time to go race again...
2005 Cayenne S - DD

Last edited by Eric523; 10-01-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #52

Thx for the quick reply. The thin B pillars don't worry me since we'd be filling in the side windows behind the B pillars with air inlet scoops and would have plenty of opportunities to reinforce and support the top at several locations from the roll cage structure so am not too concerned about panel rigidity. Also don't need a rear window or side window "glass". What I'm trying to do is avoid having to make a plug and a mold for a one-off top for my project vehicle by adapting what you've done with yours. In fact, if you are cutting the window openings after pulling the part from the mold you wouldn't even need to do that for us.

Are you planning to do wet layup or prepreg/autoclave fabrication?

We have a long way to go with this project, so not in a big hurry. Would appreciate your keeping me advised of your progress.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #53

Just want to say that the top is gorgeous! I'd love to buy one, but have a few other big things that need to be done to the car before I could jump on something like this.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #54
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I saw this on an Auction site (Copart) and thought it might be one of your tops. Now I see its similar, but not. I hardly even recognized the car as an '01 986 at first.

Looked pretty sexy 'till I saw her ass.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #55

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I saw this on an Auction site (Copart) and thought it might be one of your tops. Now I see its similar, but not. I hardly even recognized the car as an '01 986 at first.

Looked pretty sexy 'till I saw her ass.
LOL good one!
todds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #56
Sam Mammano

interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric523 View Post
The current delay has been available time and also rigidity of the carbon construction. Because of the shape, light weight, thin B pillars, and thin overall construction, we're working on increasing the rigidity so even the carbon version is suitable. I don't expect to be able to produce a top that works out of glass fiber. I think the pricing will be such that the carbon works out OK.

Since I blew up my 3.6L engine, I've invested too much $$ into developing a dry sump oiling system and a high compression 4.0L and 3.8L engines. Which of course had eaten up the hardtop resources. Now that most of those parts have been machined, we can get back onto the roof. Car has been down for over a year for these projects and its about time to go race again...
Please contact if & when these become available .Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #57
Outlivin' the Dean.

Whoa. PM'd.
JeremyConnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:14 AM   #58

Still interested

Still interested in a raw shell of this top, per my earlier reply to this post (1 Oct 2014).

Any progress?

thx
Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #59
Boxster Abuser

Hey All,

We're ready to make these things happen. The product will be a mix of carbon fiber, fiberglass cloth, foam stiffener, and vinyl ester resin. I have one unit in stock and ready to be sold, and there are two more in production. It takes us about two weeks to produce each roof with the current process. The price will be $2100 for each roof plus shipping charges and tax within CA.

I can prepare these roofs with epoxy if desired, but the cost will be higher and there will be no gelcoat on them.

A deposit of 50% will be requested to place an order, and I'll need up to four weeks until they are ready to ship.

The lexan for this roof is available from: Five Star factory stock dimension racing windows for Porsche 911, 914. 944, 991, 993, 996, 997 & Boxster

It uses a 911 rear window and 996 rear quarter windows.

The roof is designed for racing purposes only. It fits great with 996 cup car doors and their frames! I cannot speak to other configurations on street cars, using 996 glass door windows, or anything else since that is not what the roof is designed for. It will be the buyers responsibility to test alternative fitments as I don't have the cars or parts to test them with. My 986 is strictly a race car and I've sold my 986 street car...

Final fitment and prep of the roof will be necessary. The exterior finish will have a gel coat but is not ready for paint without primer and sanding. Edges will need to be fit and sanded once mounting has been completed. The roof does NOT include any mounts. Due to the highly modified nature of race cars, one set of mounts will not work for everyone. The roof should be secured at the window frame in front, at the base of the quarter windows, and also the rear at a minimum. Shipping and storage of the roof needs to be done with care, as extended periods of unsupported storage will cause the roof to distort in shape.

If interested, please let me know at eric@herg.net

Thanks!
Eric
2005 Cayenne S - DD
Old 01-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #60
Boxster Abuser

I also have my original prototype available. It is a mix of fiberglass and foam. It was used to make the mold and it quite a bit heavier than the production roofs. It is also the original roof I used on my race car for a year. It has been refinished with primer since it had the blue paint on it. If anyone is interested in that unit, I'll sell it for 50% off, at $1050. Remember, it was a prototype so the underside is not as nicely finished as the exterior. I'll take some photos soon...

2005 Cayenne S - DD