Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #1

Garage
My second track day......video inside

First of all, thanks to MikenOH and others for pointing me to RaceChrono and the whole gps data logging bit. It's incorporated in the video below.

I also tried to mount my camera to show my steering inputs and shifting but my camera mount was worthless in the necessary position. I ended up mounting it on the rear view mirror again.

As mentioned in another post, I got nauseous after riding as a passenger in my instructor's M3. It took me awhile to recuperate and my track times steadily improved. I'm a little bummed that my best lap time only equaled my best lap time on my first track day in June. Having said that, it was warm out and I ran with both windows open whereas they were closed in June.

I made many mistakes in this session. Namely......I braked too hard, too soon, and for too long and lost a lot of momentum. I also turned in too soon at several places and the rear either broke lose or I had to let off the gas and correct my lines. There are a few other things that I'll do different next time but for the sake of brevity I'll stop here.

Feel free to provide input. Thanks.

8 6 12 session 5 Part I - YouTube

Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

Garage
You can't really compare times across weekends ... conditions differ too much.

I got a little queasy once riding with an instructor who was going no faster than I was. I think it depends on whether the steering wheel is in YOUR hands or not. I prefer to be the one driving.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #3

Garage
Glad to hear RC worked out for you. This program might require a lot of moves to get the data to show what you want, but it does work.
A few questions:
-what type of data logger (phone) are you using?
-Still using the elph camera--the video was very good; mine is still fuzzy but not as bad--it may have to be replaced.

Nausea in the passengers seat--I used to get this all the time, but has diminished with Bonine or Dramamine.

Regarding the camera mount--yours looked very stable; how did you secure it to the rear view mirror?
If you ever decide to move it to the roll bar, chase cam makes a nice mount for about $40 that will work there.

Last edited by MikenOH; 08-11-2012 at 05:41 AM.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
Glad to hear RC worked out for you. This program might require a lot of moves to get the data to show what you want, but it does work.
A few questions:
-what type of data logger (phone) are you using?
-Still using the elph camera--the video was very good; mine is still fuzzy but not as bad--it may have to be replaced.

Nausea in the passengers seat--I used to get this all the time, but has diminished with Bonine or Dramamine.

Regarding the camera mount--yours looked very stable; how did you secure it to the rear view mirror?
If you ever decide to move it to the roll bar, chase cam makes a nice mount for about $40 that will work there.

Hello Mike.

I bought the Qstarz 818XT and ran it at 10hz. I used RaceChrono on my Motorola Droid X2 phone to capture the data from the Qstarz. I'm still using my Elph 300hs camera. I THINK the image stabilization feature helped to reduce the fuzziness from car/engine vibrations.

For a good laugh, I'll post a picture of the mount when I have time. It's basically a three legged Gorilla Pod tripod wrapped around my rear view mirror (mirror still very usable) and reinforced with two big rubber bands. I'll check into the chase cam roll bar mount for next time.

I'll have to take some dramamine with me the next time I go.....just in case another opportunity arises.

Thanks again.....the additional data on the vids sure make them more fun to watch. I'm still very envious of ChrisZang's videos though
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Careful taking dramamine or any other drugs while driving and especially driving at the track. Any drug that causes drowsiness isn't a good idea on a track day.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
Careful taking dramamine or any other drugs while driving and especially driving at the track. Any drug that causes drowsiness isn't a good idea on a track day.
I've had better luck with Bonine--maybe it's their marketing working--than I have with Dramamine. I had a Dramamine patch that absolutely zonked me went I did a cruise, but I didn't get seasick . I tried cutting the patch in half and still felt a little off and then tried Bonine which seemed to work better. Bonine also comes in a children's size--much smaller dose-- which may be the way to go.

I never get sick behind the wheel but it's different as a passenger. The all time worst was the ride around Bondurant track in AZ our first thing on our first day in a 12 passenger van just to let you know how a big vehicle could get around the track with a good driver. Unfortunately, we were way in the back, had a really big breakfast of stuff I probably shouldn't have eaten and when we hit our second curve in the van van I new it was going to be bad day. I hung tough for a few hours but after the slalom course I was done. I spent half a day trying to recover and downed Dramamine before we went out the next day. This was a 3 day course, so if you get sick early, you could be out a bunch of $

Other things I try are to make sure I've got a relatively full stomach and keep some ginger ale handy.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I've never taken anti-nausea meds and hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
I've had better luck with Bonine--maybe it's their marketing working--than I have with Dramamine. I had a Dramamine patch that absolutely zonked me went I did a cruise, but I didn't get seasick . I tried cutting the patch in half and still felt a little off and then tried Bonine which seemed to work better. Bonine also comes in a children's size--much smaller dose-- which may be the way to go.

I never get sick behind the wheel but it's different as a passenger. The all time worst was the ride around Bondurant track in AZ our first thing on our first day in a 12 passenger van just to let you know how a big vehicle could get around the track with a good driver. Unfortunately, we were way in the back, had a really big breakfast of stuff I probably shouldn't have eaten and when we hit our second curve in the van van I new it was going to be bad day. I hung tough for a few hours but after the slalom course I was done. I spent half a day trying to recover and downed Dramamine before we went out the next day. This was a 3 day course, so if you get sick early, you could be out a bunch of $

Other things I try are to make sure I've got a relatively full stomach and keep some ginger ale handy.
Bonine can cause drowsiness too. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be comfortable if I knew someone sharing the track with me was on such a med. I'd be even more uncomfortable if it was my instructor and I was getting a ride with him or her.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-11-2012 at 09:12 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Yes, please leave the dramamine at home on track days. Putting your car on the roof at 120 mph because you were DUI is a lot worse than a case of motion sickness.

Before my Porsche life I use to do yacht racing. Bonine is a much better alternative for most people but simply eating light on track days along with some ginger snaps to control nausea is the best plan. Save the heavy chow for after the event.