Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Roll cage opinions

My next move is to have a roll cage installed in my dedicated track car(99 Box). Do I use the Stable Energies cage for $1500 or a custom welded in cage at apx. $3000. Is the more expensive cage much better, if so why? Bill, Pgh, PA

wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
JUST an opinion, but I think the welded in cage will add value to your car. Have you seen how much spec Boxsters are going for?
And for the facts - the welded in cage will add structural rigidity to the car, and it is safer if things go way wrong.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Have you seen how much spec Boxsters are going for?
They aren't selling for anything near the listed prices. I looked at a brand new build two months ago that was listed for $23,000 and the owner was willing to sell to the first person who handed him $16K.

Even at the price, I decided to put $4K into the suspension on my car rather than put that much cash into a dedicated track car that would sit parked 90% of the time and it seems that I'm not the only one making that kind of decision in this economy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

More to the point, there was a good article in the POC Velocity magazine this month on roll cages. PM me with your address and I'd be glad to send it to you.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
SPB racer

Garage
PRECISION CHASSIS**** WORKS************ - HOME

Have a look at the pictures of Kent's specBox roll cages and you will know there is no comparison between these and a bolt in cage.

Kent did my SpecBox and it is a work of art. Provides double bracing in the roof and rear sloping plane, is attached solidly to the chassis in multiple places and ties the entire A pillar into the structure. The result is a much stiffer chassis and I suspect the ability to withstand enoumouse accident damage (never tested).

For a dedicated track car I cannot imagine why you would skimp on a what is probably the most important upgrade.

Having said that my 70 911 which is used primarily for the Targa Newfoundland and as a sunday driver otherwise has a stable energies cage and I am very impressed with the fit and quality. I went that way because I wanted to be able to remove the front half of the cage 11 months of the year. I did weld the rear half in.

Laurie
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
SPB racer

Garage
As an aside and in response to the statement that adding a cage may add value. Bollocks. Do it because you want to race your car and your happy to pay the price of entry.

If you want to do it cheap buy someone else's already set up race car. At this stage I suspect my SpecBox has cost me roughly double what it is worth. Good news is I love it, I know ever bolt in it, I know I have done everything I can to ensure that it is as well set up as it can be and that, because of the time and money invested, it will be as reliable as possible.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
PRECISION CHASSIS**** WORKS************ - HOME

Have a look at the pictures of Kent's specBox roll cages and you will know there is no comparison between these and a bolt in cage.

Kent did my SpecBox and it is a work of art. Provides double bracing in the roof and rear sloping plane, is attached solidly to the chassis in multiple places and ties the entire A pillar into the structure. The result is a much stiffer chassis and I suspect the ability to withstand enoumouse accident damage (never tested).

For a dedicated track car I cannot imagine why you would skimp on a what is probably the most important upgrade.

Having said that my 70 911 which is used primarily for the Targa Newfoundland and as a sunday driver otherwise has a stable energies cage and I am very impressed with the fit and quality. I went that way because I wanted to be able to remove the front half of the cage 11 months of the year. I did weld the rear half in.

Laurie
+1
A dedicated track car deserves an excellent welded-in cage that meets all requirements for the events you plan to run. Precision Chassis is one of the best.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

I would strongly reccomend getting a custom cage and if you have the ability you should have it done by Kenny at Werkstatt in Charlottesville, VA.
He is part of the Flying Lizzards team and the depth of his knowledge is truly amazing. I was very suprised at the roominess of the interior of one of their builds...
1989 944 S2 R - Stock except.....
2003 Boxster S ( Euro delivery ! )
1990 944 S2 sold
sponsored by PDandM.com, General Contractors.
Building the Highest Performance Homes in the SML area.
smlporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Rennzenn

Garage
+1 on Kenny Shreves at Werkstatt.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

I agree, based on your location on the eastern side of the country, I would recommend Kenny. Not that I wouldn't love to help you out, but shipping might make it cost prohibitive.

kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote