Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudin801 View Post
Background:
I recently mounted some Kumhos, they're used tires that I basically got for free. I whole heartedly regret replacing my completely bald Michelins for these pieces of junk. Should have ran them to the wires. I bought the car with the Michelins, I'm thinking they're Pilot Sports, didn't pay much attention to them. I get no grip with these tires compared to the previous ones, it's really drastic. Makes me hate driving the car hard, especially in corners -breaks traction easily.

Now on to the original posting. I plan on tracking the car this coming spring; I joined the Porsche Club. What do some of you experienced owners/weekend racers suggest. I have two sets of wheels, so I'm thinking street legal race tires for the track wheels and (fill in the blank) tires for day to day driving. I'd like a summer tire with sticky compound. Any suggestions?
Are your running standard 17" rims? If so you can put a 225/45 on the front and a 255/40 on the rear. Lots of very good tires in these sizes.

For a relatively inexpensive Rcomp tire that you can drive on the street for short distances I like the Nitto NT01; they wear well, have a lot of grip but like any Rcomp they need negative camber in the front--more than -1.0 deg. Hoosiers also need lots of negative camber or your outside edges will cord after a few events.

Personally, I like the extreme street tires like the XS, Nitto NT05 and Hankook RS-3. You can drive them to an event, can take the heat like a dedicated track tire, give you a bit less dry traction than an Rcomp but provide a controlled slide with lots of audio feedback before they let go. R comps--some-- just let go; grip, grip then no grip--and they need a lot of negative camber that you may not have. I drove the XS with -1.0 negative camber in the front end for nearly two years at track like Mid-OH and they wore evenly--the tire cycled out before the tread wore out.

Before I forget, get the most aggressive alignment you can before the track days start; your tires and savings account will be better off for it.

Last edited by MikenOH; 03-01-2012 at 08:29 AM.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
I like the extreme street tires like the XS, Nitto NT05 and Hankook RS-3.

Before I forget, get the most aggressive alignment you can before the track days start; your tires and savings account will be better off for it.
+1 Same as my experience.

When you go to R-comp's, you'll need adjustable lower control arms to get more negative camber otherwise.... Need more negative camber!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #23

Which Kuhmo model tire did you install ? All 4 ?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
'00 Boxster S Carbon Grey

i just got a set of 4 new Nitto INVO on my Yr.2000 Boxster S.

I'm using 18" 987 Boxster S wheel and now with front 235/40/18 Rear 265/35/18
ed.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM   #25

My $0.02 worth... My first consideration for tires was "where I live". If I lived in Phoenix or San Diego, I would have gone with summer tires. I live in Ohio. It rains and snows here... a lot some times. So I went with all seasons, Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Did I sacrifice dry weather performance? Yes. But I extended my driving season and I can drive the car in the rain without worrying about every ditch I see.
My thoughts.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudin801 View Post
Background:
I recently mounted some Kumhos, they're used tires that I basically got for free. I whole heartedly regret replacing my completely bald Michelins for these pieces of junk. Should have ran them to the wires. I bought the car with the Michelins, I'm thinking they're Pilot Sports, didn't pay much attention to them. I get no grip with these tires compared to the previous ones, it's really drastic. Makes me hate driving the car hard, especially in corners -breaks traction easily.

Now on to the original posting. I plan on tracking the car this coming spring; I joined the Porsche Club. What do some of you experienced owners/weekend racers suggest. I have two sets of wheels, so I'm thinking street legal race tires for the track wheels and (fill in the blank) tires for day to day driving. I'd like a summer tire with sticky compound. Any suggestions?
For your regular street drive you can not go wrong with the Pilot Sport PS2 they may not wear the longest 10 to 15 K but they are forgiving and hold like they are cemented to the road. Cotintntal Sport contact hold but they are easy to put into a slide. and the front end of my car pushes with them on.

I got a set of Hankook RS-3 for on the track they hold better than the PS2 in corners they are not a class penelty on AX because they are 140 dot rated. In a 30 minute session on track they could get a little loose in the last lap or 2. I am happy with them for my experience level.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
2006 987

Garage
Bumping because I'm looking for tires
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #28

^ you need to tell us what you are looking for in a tire.
and your wheel sizes would help too ;-)

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #29
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
^ you need to tell us what you are looking for in a tire.
and your wheel sizes would help too ;-)
Yep, all tires are a tradeoff. Typical priorities:

Wet grip
Dry grip
All weather/Summer
Ride comfort
Road noise
Low Price
Longevity

A very high grip tire will not last too long. An all season tire will give up some dry grip.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #30

Garage
I think tires are last on his mind now. See Overheated to 250, died on side of highway, left stranded

Best of luck to you 986 Inquiry. Let us know how things turn out.

Boxster586 is offline   Reply With Quote