986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster Racing Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/)
-   -   Front Sway Bar? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/31986-front-sway-bar.html)

Mrmaddbrad 12-10-2011 08:15 PM

Front Sway Bar?

Does anyone run a Large Front Sway Bar? Just curious. Maybe a GT3 sway bar? I'm assuming the fit?

Does it make it understeer?

Looking to build a C-Stock Autocross car

Brad Roberts 12-12-2011 07:58 PM

We will need more info!! what tire/size?? what spring/shock combo?

We run a LOT of Boxsters with SCCA. 99% of them are running the GT3 bar for more adjustment to conditions/driver.

B

Mrmaddbrad 12-13-2011 05:17 PM

Running typical 17" Boxster tire set up... And stock springs.... Plan on buying some adjustable Koni Shocks.

Still. If everyone else is running GT3 Sway Bars, then thats probably the way to go....

I did say i was building a C-Stock Boxster. Therefore implying stock rim size/width and stock springs.

stephen wilson 12-14-2011 05:06 AM

I believe the GT3 bar is stiffer than stock (even at the softest setting), which will increase Understeer.

Brad Roberts 12-14-2011 08:37 AM

I'm not familiar with C-stock rules :) Most of our cars are in prepared classes BSP/FP/XP

That being said.. stick with the stock bars and buy some BoxsterS bars (MO30) I typically carry with me 3-4 rear bars and just swap them out until I have a stock shocked car balanced the way I want it. The rear takes 10min to swap out.. the front takes a little longer.

Bars I go to the track with (and AutoX)

Tarrett
MO30
Stock

I believe you can backdate/update in C-stock?

B

Boxster44 12-14-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 268592)
I believe the GT3 bar is stiffer than stock (even at the softest setting), which will increase Understeer.

for what it's worth.... I have an old sheet from Ira at Tarett and it shows the front GT3 bar at softest - is 50% stiffer than stock S bar.

kj

stephen wilson 12-14-2011 11:32 AM

I was looking for that information today! I knew I had seen a list comparing the stiffness of the various roll bars that are available.

thstone 12-14-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster44 (Post 268642)
for what it's worth.... I have an old sheet from Ira at Tarett and it shows the front GT3 bar at softest - is 50% stiffer than stock S bar.

kj

Any chance you could scan it and share with us? :D

Mrmaddbrad 12-14-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen wilson (Post 268592)

That is if you're already Understeering... But it could potentially just reduce oversteer, and body roll as they are designed to do...

Boxster44 12-14-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 268686)
Any chance you could scan it and share with us? :D

I would normally, but it's from a known source and Ira created it. I really don't want to step on toes and duplicate without permission.

However, I'm pretty sure Ira would be okay to give out to people who ask.... he's really very generous that way. It's called "Boxster Sway Bar Stiffness Ratings"

... sorry if it's inconvenient.

kj

Kroggers 12-15-2011 12:45 AM

So if the GT3 bars are a recommended upgrade, where is a good place to get them from - direct from Porsche or e-bay or?

Topless 12-15-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kroggers (Post 268751)
So if the GT3 bars are a recommended upgrade, where is a good place to get them from - direct from Porsche or e-bay or?

Porsche 996 & 997 Hollow Adjustable Sway Bars

FYI,
I may be running in a different competition class next year that requires Porsche sways. If I do, my Tarett F/R bars & drop links may be for sale. PM for more info.

Kroggers 12-15-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 268784)
Porsche 996 & 997 Hollow Adjustable Sway Bars

FYI,
I may be running in a different competition class next year that requires Porsche sways. If I do, my Tarett F/R bars & drop links may be for sale. PM for more info.

Depending on price, I would be interested...

Brad Roberts 12-15-2011 10:23 AM

The GT3 bar is the Tarett front bar

stephen wilson 12-15-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 268729)
That is if you're already Understeering... But it could potentially just reduce oversteer, and body roll as they are designed to do...

No, a stiffer front bar will increase understeer. The only unusual case where it MAY not, is on a high CG, front-heavy car, with poor camber control ( like a 60's muscle car ). In which case the reduced roll (and reduced positive camber), adds more to the front grip than the increased weight transfer (from the larger bar) removes . A Boxster certainly doesn't fit into this catagory.

There are plenty of books that explain the affects of weight transfer in detail.

Brad Roberts 12-15-2011 12:43 PM

Ira emailed me the GT3 bar versus the stock bar info. I'll post it up shortly.

I will tell you running the short drop links with the GT3 bar, decreases the effectiveness of the bar in corner. As you input more steering wheel, it UNLOADS the outside tire in the corner :barf:

He was at our shop late last week test fitting some new parts :) I don't have to ask for permission :)

Bhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1323985398.jpg

Stroked & Blown 12-15-2011 01:48 PM

Brad,
That chart is great, thanks for posting.
A couple questions:
- Do you have a common comparison for the H&R rear bar?
- Can a Cayman front bar be fitted to a 986?

Brad Roberts 12-15-2011 01:57 PM

The CaymanS bar will not fit :(

I have personal "butt" experience with the H&R rear bar, but I do not have numbers in comparison for it. I do know it is stiffer on full soft than the Tarett rear on full stiff. I have taken them out of several of our race cars. Just too stiff for some of the open diff cars.

My biggest issue right now is the rear drop links everyone sells for the rear bars. They are too short. Take a look under a Cayman Interseries car and notice the rear "pry bar" they have going on. The rear links are way way to short for those cars. Everyone sells a replacement heim based drop link for STOCK replacement. Stock replacement is GREAT for STOCK shocks/springs at euro or USA ride height, but when you lower the car, the upper link mounting point goes UP in the chassis!!! and in turn it points the rear bar into the SKY!!

B

Kroggers 12-15-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 268853)
I have personal "butt" experience with the H&R rear bar, but I do not have numbers in comparison for it. I do know it is stiffer on full soft than the Tarett rear on full stiff. I have taken them out of several of our race cars. Just too stiff for some of the open diff cars.

How about on a Boxster S with a lsd?

jaykay 12-16-2011 06:07 AM

Thanks for the chart! What short drop links??? Stock ones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Roberts (Post 268842)
Ira emailed me the GT3 bar versus the stock bar info. I'll post it up shortly.

I will tell you running the short drop links with the GT3 bar, decreases the effectiveness of the bar in corner. As you input more steering wheel, it UNLOADS the outside tire in the corner :barf:

He was at our shop late last week test fitting some new parts :) I don't have to ask for permission :)

Bhttp://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1323985398.jpg