Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Garage
Front Sway bar? LSD??

Hey everyone!! A few quick questions for those of you running your boxsters in C-stock!! Do people run bigger front sway bars?? Is it necessary or does it just give you to much under-steer??

Anndd on R-compounds, does anyone notice the lack of a limited slip? Or does the open differential do just fine?

Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
Over the winter I had my trans rebuilt and I added a Guard Torque-biasing diff. The change is significant. In a straight line, both wheels hook and the car accelerates MUCH better. Around corners, the rear end is predictable and controllable. It's much easier to manage throttle steer and rotate the car, and it also seems easier to avoid pushing the front.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #3

Garage
Hmm alright! Cool! Seems like its worth it then! At least if i'm dying to spend mass amounts of money XD

Mind me asking how much that rebuild cost you?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

I've only been on a track a couple of times in my 2000S. But I really didn't miss the limited slip differential. It depends on the track and skill level, of course, but I never had trouble with getting the power down. Especially with hot tires. I'd actually like to have it, but I don't think I need it.

I'm on the M030 suspension. I think it does a nice job of giving the car very neutral handling.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
The rebuild plus the diff was $4000. In hindsight, I overpaid. I believe you can buy a rebuilt trans directly from Guard for $3600 with the diff. Whatever you do, get the G-Box detent and swap it for the stock detent. It's $100, an easy job, and the trans will not pop out of second or third gear ever again.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #6

Garage
I believe the mod you are talking about will put you into a street prepared class. The limited slip differential is not an allowed replacement in stock. Sway bars are allowed to be changed if they are stock on a car of the same year or older and the part or vehicle don't have to be modified to install it.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I believe the mod you are talking about will put you into a street prepared class. The limited slip differential is not an allowed replacement in stock. Sway bars are allowed to be changed if they are stock on a car of the same year or older and the part or vehicle don't have to be modified to install it.
Haha no no no. According to SCCA Solo rules, front sway bars may be removed or replaced without limit as long as it has the same mounting point, but rear sway bar may not be touched. And STR (Street Touring Roadster), and all ST classes for that matter, allow for the use of ANY differential. :P

Yay for spending way to much time with a rule book XD
Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
FWIW, my car is in BSP. Along with those damn Subaru WRX STI's. In the hands of a skilled driver, those are freakin' fast.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Haha no no no. According to SCCA Solo rules, front sway bars may be removed or replaced without limit as long as it has the same mounting point, but rear sway bar may not be touched. And STR (Street Touring Roadster), and all ST classes for that matter, allow for the use of ANY differential. :P

Yay for spending way to much time with a rule book XD
14.10 ENGINE AND DRIVETRAIN
Engine and transmission must remain unmodified, including emissions
equipment,
K. Limited Slip Differentials
ST, STS – No limited slip differentials are permitted except for factory
standard viscous coupler type units.

This directly from the ST class solo rules The differential in a boxster is a part of the transmission and may not be altered. Swaybar may be changed in ST but only stock component changed in STOCK I'm not sure what SCCA book your looking at but these are directly out of the national 2011 book
Street prepared and above allows LSD changes

When I looked again the boxster is not considered in the STR class at all or any ST class in the class section it defined as
Street Touring Class (ST)
Class Requirements and Restrictions:
Coupes/Sedans - 4 seats minimum
(non-sports car-based)
Engine Displacement:
Up to 3.1L normally aspirated
or
Small turbocharged engines
specifically listed below
No Limited-Slip Differentials
except factory standard
viscous types
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 09-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Garage
If you want to change the sway bar on a boxster and run CS you can by adding the M030 suspension package if your car is I think a 1998 to a 2004. But you have to add all 4 struts all 4 springs and both sway bars and bushings. Because that is the way it was delivered through the dealers as a package.

If you change manufacturer to any body elses you can not run CS and then your in BSP class. If you modify your tranny IE LSD your in BSP class.
look at j.fro's comment

Last edited by jsceash; 09-29-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #11

Garage
Yes! But STR was added this years as a national level class which means it should be in next years rule book. And this class allows for any differential...
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #12

Garage
http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20SCCA%20solo%20rules.pdf
It may be important that you read chaper 14
It may also be important that you read Apendix A, read pages 175 and 176
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 AM   #13

Garage
http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/2010-Solo-Rules.pdf
The 2010 solo rule book Same chapters
Apendix A pages 171 and 172

Porsches allowed in this class have not changed over the 2 year period, and do not include a boxster.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to doosigoubbano
---

It still that?
doosigoubbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #15

Garage
I wasn't arguing about boxsters not being in CSP. I already knew they were only allowed in BSP...

But STR, which as of this year is considered an official class, is not in this years rule book. I was just assuming some one ran in it at this years nationals. Oh well! maybe i'm wrong. But i guess as of now, i am wrong :P

Thanks everyone! Huge help!!
Old 10-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #16

Garage
First you said with a boxster you can change to a LSD in STOCK which you can't
Then you said no you ment ST class you still can't
Then you said about STR being a new class this year where you can change to a LSD in a Boxster, which from what is in the rules STR was a new class in 2010.
The only porsche you can race in STR is the 911 with a 3.2 motor the 928, 968, or the 944. Form the 2010 rules and also the 2011 rules
The porsche boxster can not be raced in STR
Look at the links I already posted for you to read.

Last edited by jsceash; 10-01-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #17

Garage
Oh gosh man. Im sorry. I totally didnt see what you were getting at with the STR thing...

Woops... Now i feel dumb lol
Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #18

Quote:
The rebuild plus the diff was $4000. In hindsight, I overpaid. I believe you can buy a rebuilt trans directly from Guard for $3600 with the diff. Whatever you do, get the G-Box detent and swap it for the stock detent. It's $100, an easy job, and the trans will not pop out of second or third gear ever again.
You'll find out over another year or so, that this does not solve the problem of jumping out of gear. It buy's you more time (on a used tranny) That's it. When your tranny starts leaking from the shift selector bushing on the side? and it jumps out of second or won't stay in? The bushing for the shift selector is bad. *Hopefully* when Gbox did your tranny.. they replaced that bushing that is wearing out on ALL of tranny's

B

Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote