Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2007, 08:13 AM   #1

987 oil overfill

One of the posters on ppbb -- whose 987 is having its engine replaced at 27K miles after intermediate shaft failure -- says he checked his service records and found the dealer was overfilling oil by two quarts. I checked my own records for one year service on my 987S and found that I, too, was charged for 10 quarts when the manual calls for "2.05 U.S. gallons" for an oil change that includes a new filter. My gauge seems to read OK, but I gave the dealer almost 20 bucks for the missing two quarts.

Apparently 986 requires 10 quarts, while 987 takes less. Anyone here have the same experience?

longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
bmussatti

I have had 2 oil changes on my 987S by the P-dealer, with no issues. First one done at about 1,200 miles and again at 7,500 miles, just before winter storage. They have used less than 10 quarts each time, for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #3

Maybe I should not tell you this.

With the filter change it is 9 quarts and a little bit more. My dealer uses the 1 quart containers. You get charge for 10. But 10 did not go into your car. The mechanic keeps what is left in the container. People freak out for no reason when they see 10 on the invoice.

If you need coolant and they take a cup or two out of a 1 liter bottle to put in your car then you pay for the liter.

If they need to use a shot or two from an aerosol spray, such as cab cleaner, you pay for the entire can.

The mechanics stash away the leftovers. I have been offered and have used some of these leftovers, because I know the mechanics at my local dealership.

This is the way it has been for the 8 years I have been hanging around the shop. My dealership got sold last year and I have not checked out if this practice has changed.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #4

I'm not shocked or surprised. Porsche blatantly overcharges for service anyway, so what's a few dollars more? But if the manual says about eight quarts (including new filter), why would the dealer try to put in nine?

I would bet that most people who take their cars in for service -- regardless of make -- are overcharged or pay for work isn't done. My worst cases were when I paid for shocks and front brake rotors and the cars were released to me without the work being done. In both cases, the dealership made good, but you have to wonder whether the repairs and maintenance that you can't see are really being done.

My Mazda dealer provides exceptionally good service, but their gimmick is to offer a "recommended" service package at a particular mileage level. It usually includes way more services than the manufacturer suggests, including some like the early changing of filters and other parts and the use of fuel additives and other unnecessary items. If you don't know enough to demand only the manufacturer's recommended services, you can get a bill for routine service on a $20K+ car that rivals something from Porsche or Mercedes.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

Smile 9.5 qts seem to working for me.

I have always done my own oil changes- (126K) on the odometer and no problems.
I use exatly 9.5 qts. (Mobil 0ne 0w-40. Obvisouly this is with filter chenge as well.
Frank Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #6

Basically:

What you get CHARGED for is not necessarily how much they dumped into your car.

When in doubt, check the dipstick/oil level display.

And remember, they ROUND UP when tallying materials usage!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #7

How can you overfill by 2 quarts? You mean overcharge for 2 quarts more than it takes?

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #8

The owner's manual says that our cars require 9.5 quarts. That's why you have to pay for 10. They have to charge you for that half quart. I guess they do reclycle the remaining half.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #9

Well, if they are using 9.5qts of oil and the charging you for 10qts, you should be asking for that last bottle with 0.5qt, so that next time when you check the engine and it needs a little oil you can use that! If you paid for it, it is yours not the dealers!!!!
People seem to forget that they are paying for that stuff, the dealership is not giving you anything free, it is your right to ask for that 0.5qt.
LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #10

20 BUCKS FOR TWO QUARTS?

I buy my quarts $5.99 each

Do you guys recommend changing oil often ... ? It costs $350 from the dealer which sounds ridiculous to me.