Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 12:35 PM   #1

Porsche coolant...the exciting conclusion!

For those of you eagerly anticipating the exciting conclusion to my critically-acclaimed "987 Coolant loss FYI" post...

987 coolant loss FYI

...Previously I'd been adding only distilled water but since I figured at the rate it was dissipating I'd soon have a weakened mix suitable for drinking, I managed to scrounge up an extra $56.37 in loose change between the cushions of my sofa and went over to Pioneer Porsche for some Porsche coolant.."the good stuff".

As one of the few Boxster owners silly enough to spend that kind of money on coolant I thought I'd share the secret recipe, so you can compare it against your engine-beverage of choice, a debate that comes up from time to time on Boxster boards, and possibly save yourself a buck or two...or fourty-six.

Contains: Ethylene glycol (107-21-1), Diethylene glycol (111-46-6), Sebacic acid (111-20-6), Sodium hydroxide (1310-73-2), Water (7732-18-5), Corrosion inhibitors, defoamer, silicates, and dyes.

Yes, the rumors are true. The coolant is pink in color.

A picture of the Holy Grail is attached, which doesn't show much other than the Porsche coolant is as suitable for human consumption as Prestone.

It's obviously a(nother) busy day at the office !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-09-2007 at 12:48 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #2

$56.37 for a gallon of coolant. Makes me mad.

Have a drink on me.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #3

So why can't we just buy the universal coolant that is out there. I mean, I know that some manufacturers say you must use there coolant because there have been problems with some coolants not mixing well together and gunking up and clogging the radiators. But there are a few new coolants that are sold TODAY that are suposed to be universal and SAFE FOR ALL other type of coolant already being used in your car. Are these not to be trusted? Other than the color being yellowish-green, they are not suposed to cause clogging problems like some older brands have done in the past. Sound true?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3772&pid=18113&mode=threaded&start=#entry18113

Next time save yourself the money and just buy either;

HavolineŽ DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
Chevron DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

Same thing w/o the Porsche label.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
So why can't we just buy the universal coolant that is out there. I mean, I know that some manufacturers say you must use there coolant because there have been problems with some coolants not mixing well together and gunking up and clogging the radiators. But there are a few new coolants that are sold TODAY that are suposed to be universal and SAFE FOR ALL other type of coolant already being used in your car. Are these not to be trusted? Other than the color being yellowish-green, they are not suposed to cause clogging problems like some older brands have done in the past. Sound true?
Hi,

No such animal as Universal Coolant, except H˛O. There are all sorts of Cooling Systems out there using a variety of materials and each has it's specific needs. No Coolant is totally compatible with them all. What you want is a Phosphate-free OAT (Organic Acid Technology) Coolant such as Sierra, Prestone 5/150 (longterm), etc.

Porsche doesn't make Coolant, nor do they spec the Coolant from a Supplier. IIRC, the Porsche Coolant is made by a joint venture by Elf, a european chemical company and ChevronTexaco, marketed as Arteco. This same formula is available here in the US as Havoline DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant and
Chevron DEX-COOL Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant.

I looked up several Coolant Brands MSDS sheets to cross reference the chemical composition to that of other OAT Coolants to see if there are any identical formulas. I suspected that there are only dye and other minor diffences amongst the latest OAT Coolants. The exception is whether or not a company uses either Potassium or Sodium based 2-ethylhexanoic acid for their OAT Coolant .

HOAT is another story. Zerex makes this as G 05. Hybrid OAT (HOATs) Coolants use a low level of Silicate in addition to organic acids to resist cavitation better than straight OAT.

The problem with OAT coolants is that if they are neglected; if the system is alowed to run low - not kept topped up, air contaminates the fluid, and cavitation can occur reducing the overall Heat transfer. G 05 is more resistant to cavitation if the cooling system is slightly neglected.

G 05 is used by Ford and Daimler-Chrysler in their newer vehicles. Mercedes has also used G 05 coolant in their cars exclusivley.

It is not a good idea to mix an OAT Coolant with a Silicated Coolant. This will cause gelling, sludge, and sediment buildup.

G 12 (G 30 in europe) is OAT based. It is phosphate, silicate, borate, nitrate, amine and nitrite free. The Porsche Coolant is G 30.

G 34, Opel and GM in europe, (here, it is commonly reffered to as "Dex-Cool) was originally distrbuted by Havoline, but is made by Arteco-Coolants, and is also an OAT based coolant. It too is phosphate, silicate, borate, nitrate, amine and nitrite free.

If the composistion in the MSDS of G 12(G 30 in Europe) matches that of the MSDS availible for G 34(Dex-Cool), then chemically, G 12 and Dex-Cool would be the same, minus the color. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #6

So Jim, should we be using the Dex-cool or the G-05?

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
So Jim, should we be using the Dex-cool or the G-05?

Patrick
Hi,

While the G-05 is arguably better, you should use the Dex-cool because G-05 uses Silicates which are a No-no for the Porsche coolant system which was filled previously with the Elf fluid. Switching to G-05 without a thorough Flushing will result in some gelling of the fluid...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-10-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
boggtown

Ya dude, you gotta flush it completely. Bad things happen when you mix elf fluid and dwarf blood... baaaddd things.....
Old 03-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea id flush that too.
theres a DIY somewhere that i did, and you can definitely get a cheaper coolant that is just as good.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #10

Thanks Jim, this is on the list of tomorrow's projects now that its spring (or well almost lol)

Patrick
Old 03-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

No such animal as Universal Coolant, except H˛O.

I topped off with Peak Global,

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

They are advertising it as a Universal top off, so are you saying that's not true?
demonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Speaking of coolant...isn't the system not supposed to need regular top off? I would think that if you're having to top off 1 quart every few months, you've got a leak in the system somewhere, no?

I once had this problem of having to add coolant every few months. Discovered finally that I had a small coolant tank leak. No harm in having the dealer check it out as you're still under warranty on that 987, IMHO.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #13

You can also go to VW and buy their Autobahn coolant, just another color but half the price. There are a lot of threads about coolant on the 944/928 boards, Dexcool works fine but I use the VW coolant as I like the color
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonz
I topped off with Peak Global,

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html

They are advertising it as a Universal top off, so are you saying that's not true?
Hi,

No, it's not true. This is an ethylene-glycol based OAT Coolant, and so while it is OK for the Porsche (But only the Global Lifetime and Sierra - no other Peak products are compatible), it is not acceptable for some types of Cooling systems.

Peak makes several products and I don't want to start OK'ing Brands here because someone will invariably use the Peak Blue, or some such, and this is bad for the car.

What you want is a Coolant which is Silicate and Phosphate Free and is either G 12 (G 30 in Europe) or G 34...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-11-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #15

Just swapped mine out with Zerex Dex-Cool, apparently to no point as the old coolant came out crystal clear so probably didnt need to be done. Oh well, I suppose I feel better knowing its done and done right with a full flush with distilled water and a 60/40 distilled/ coolant mix in it now.

Next project before spring is gearbox lubrication....

Patrick
Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
... apparently to no point as the old coolant came out crystal clear so probably didnt need to be done...

Patrick
Hi,

Not necessarilty true. Coolant can undergo several chemical changes as it ages, reacts with the various materials used in the Cooling System, etc. Generally, Coolant increases in Acidity as it ages because of this. This fluid now has a greater ability to attack the Cooling System components. For this reason alone (though there are others), it's worthwhile to change the Coolant every 5yrs. or 150k mi. Hope this helps...