Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2024, 07:19 AM   #21

thanks for the replies guys.
yeah I'm thinking through some of the same rationale.
Prestone MAX definitely is sounding the most appealing.
Going to porsche will be expensive, and its a different formulation anyway from what came in the 986 era.
other suggestions in my research have seen:
HavolineŽ DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
Chevron DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant
G40 Zerex
VW/Audi OEM G13 Coolant G013A8J1G

main point or takaway I've seen fairly constant is that it should be phosphate free.
also a flush is a must since don't even know what is in there.

so far the only stuff i can find easily locally are the VW/Audi stuff and Dexcool.

if I'm going the flush and don't have the vaccum pump to suck it all out, as long as I'm pullnig the drain plug and main hoses would it be enough to lift the front of the car higher to fully drain the rads?

serialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 07:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialize View Post
thanks for the replies guys.
yeah I'm thinking through some of the same rationale.
Prestone MAX definitely is sounding the most appealing.
Going to porsche will be expensive, and its a different formulation anyway from what came in the 986 era.
other suggestions in my research have seen:
HavolineŽ DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
Chevron DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant
G40 Zerex
VW/Audi OEM G13 Coolant G013A8J1G

main point or takaway I've seen fairly constant is that it should be phosphate free.
also a flush is a must since don't even know what is in there.

so far the only stuff i can find easily locally are the VW/Audi stuff and Dexcool.

if I'm going the flush and don't have the vaccum pump to suck it all out, as long as I'm pullnig the drain plug and main hoses would it be enough to lift the front of the car higher to fully drain the rads?
how much does your local dealership charge for a jug of Porsche coolant ? CAD ? .. the porsche stuff is concentrate so may not be such a bad deal as you cut it 50/50 with distilled.

i used a little compressed air on mine but not much more came out.
theiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 07:26 AM   #23

Based on JFP's advice, I used the Porsche coolant when I replaced my water pump. If I recall correctly, I bought it from an on-line seller when they had a free-shipping promotion. With free shipping, it wasn't that much more expensive than the other options. If I avoided a problem by using Porsche coolant, the extra money was well spent.

I have followed JPP's guidance on several projects and I have concluded he knows what he's talking about.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 997 adaptive sports seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 11:42 AM   #24

Checked with the dealer and they said now they just use their G40 on all models.
$35.00 a jug of 3.78 litres of concentrate, so not much more expensive then other options.
So really the most important part of this will be flush and not so much the coolant as long as its compatible.
Parts guy there was nice enough to call back after and he said he asked the tech for some extra detail who said this new G40 is the same Zerex G12 formulation and backwards compatible in the event that not all the fluid is completely flushed out. Good news anyway, and thanks for the replies and info really appreciate this forum!
serialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 06:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Checked with the dealer and they said now they just use their G40 on all models.
$35.00 a jug of 3.78 litres of concentrate, so not much more expensive then other options.
So really the most important part of this will be flush and not so much the coolant as long as its compatible.
Parts guy there was nice enough to call back after and he said he asked the tech for some extra detail who said this new G40 is the same Zerex G12 formulation and backwards compatible in the event that not all the fluid is completely flushed out. Good news anyway, and thanks for the replies and info really appreciate this forum!
thats cheap .. which dealer ?? that cant be a 4 litre jug ... its Porsche , i would expect that for 1 litre lol

if its concentrate that would be the same as 17 bucks for a 4 litre premix.. cant be right ...
Old 09-25-2024, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
thats cheap .. which dealer ?? that cant be a 4 litre jug ... its Porsche , i would expect that for 1 litre lol

if its concentrate that would be the same as 17 bucks for a 4 litre premix.. cant be right ...
This was what the parts guy quoted me at PFAFF Porsche Centre Vaughan.

3.78 litres for $35.35+ tax = $39.94 for a jug of concentrate.

I'll probably pickup 4 jugs next week if heading down to the city.

Sounds the same as any other brand, but this is the new G40 Porsche formulation.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:20 PM   #27

Quote:
This was what the parts guy quoted me at PFAFF Porsche Centre Vaughan.

3.78 litres for $35.35+ tax = $39.94 for a jug of concentrate.

I'll probably pickup 4 jugs next week if heading down to the city.

Sounds the same as any other brand, but this is the new G40 Porsche formulation.
yeah for sure .. im in Cambridge but would drive it if they are only charging that