Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #1

Yet another "good deal" question

Hello everyone,

Still looking for the right car, as the last two I wanted were sold right before I pulled the trigger (like hours). Looking at a 2002 Boxster S with 45k mi. with tip, windscreen, CD. Dealer (non Porsche) is asking $23,995 or $26,290 after tax title license.

I asked about 45k mile service and was told I would have to take care of it. The clearcoat on the brakes is chipping off. Could this be from tracking the car, like from heat damage? I assume it could be fixed, but it looks like crap. Also, there is a small dent about the size of quarter right above the rear right wheel well.

I offered $24,750 out the door and they said they couldn't do it. Another salesman said the price is dropping because they want to sell it before they have to send it to auction. You would think they would take my check just so they wouldn't have to deal with it. Sorry for a long post, and thanks for the input.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #2

If it is the car you "really" want, then buy it. If you think you can do better, ask the dealer honestly what is the best price you can give me. If it is not in your ballpark, then walk and kindly ask them to call you if they change their mind.

There are plenty of cars out there!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

I certainly would not want a car that was driven so hard as to wear the "clearcoat off of the brakes". Audioguy is right, there are a lot of cars out there. Make sure you get the right one for you.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #4

In my searching experience, there are TONS of Boxsters out there. I'm in Austin, and though there were almost none locally, if I included DFW, Houston and San Antonio (which are all within a couple hundred miles), just on Autotrader, I would find 50+ Boxsters. When I narrowed it down to my price range, I found at least a dozen or so.

YOU hold the cards... if they're potentially going to auction a car, they're not likely going to be making anything off of it, so they should rather sell it to you for a small profit, than get rid of it for nothing.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschegeorg
I certainly would not want a car that was driven so hard as to wear the "clearcoat off of the brakes". .
There's cause and effect, here?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 AM   #6

To clarify on the clearcoat coming off, you can see where there is a deep red, shiny clearcoat and then there is a dull, almost chalkish red where it looks like it came off. I was just wondering if that could be from extreme brake heat, like from tracking the car. If so, I would not want this vehicle.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #7

The brake paint issue could simply be spilling of brake fluid during a flush. It is my understanding that brake fluid is very bad for paint which is why I will immediately clean up any brake fluid that gets on the calipers (from opening/closing the valve).

It would be very hard to determine if a car has been tracked without knowing the previous owner.

I'm with AUDIOGUY's suggestions on price.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #8

NEXT...

look for a lower mileage Boxster. There are tons of garage queens.
Have you posted on the Porsche Club of America classifieds?
Steer clear of any body work needing to be done, unless its a ding, which
(if looking to buy from a dealer) they usually take care of themselves before selling it for $70 a panel, probably less for them since they use the Ding guy regularly on the cars on their lots. If the ding is still there then the ding guy probably couldn't get it out and then its auto body work time and a nice bill for the new owner.

p.s.
How many miles do you intend to put on the world's best roadster?
That changes everything.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-08-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote