Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

Face to Face with a Bimmer - literally

Maybe slightly off topic but I have to share this with 6000 of my closest friends. I was driving down highway 80 W toward San Francisco last Tuesday. It was raining very hard. I see a glimpse of something approaching from right on my peripheral vision. Half a second later, someone pulls about 5 feet in front of me. It was a Bimmer, going backwards. We were F2F driving (and in his case drifting, I suppose) for a couple of seconds before he drifted to the left lane, barely missing an SUV that was in that lane and got into the median shoulder. I do occasionally attract idiots when I'm on 987 but this is first time it came so close to an accident. Maybe I should just leave Porsche at home on rainy days. Anyone else with a close call due to admirers on the road?

kskimtahoe

Last edited by kskimtahoe; 03-04-2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo correction
kskimtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
geez man, glad your ok.
it can definitely get scary out there

on the side note:
bimmer= BMW vehicle
beemer= BMW motorcycle
beamer=A personal video station (PVS) that adds video to standard telephone lines at no additional cost.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #3

Wow, that sounds scary, glad everyone was ok.

A few months back it had rained hard all day and night. I cross a bridge on a two lane road going to work. A car coming toward me hits standing water, shoots directly across my path. The car jumped the bridge railing and went into the river with a strong current.

The driver was ok, climbed out into the window and yells back up he can't swim. Another guy stops who luckily had a rope. We tied it to his waist and he jump in. Grabbed the guy a few seconds before the car gets swept under. I held on to them until the emergency crew showed up.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
bmussatti

Imagine the post the other guy made on the BMW Forum!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #5

Wow.

I am sorry that happened. Should call the cops :P

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 03-03-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #6

I was working with some law enforcement guys and we had to make a very late night drive through downtown Newark,NJ to an FBI office. We went through a really really bad area along the way and we are flying when see a car going about 90 MPH heading towards us....IN REVERSE!!
Back in the days when Newark was the car theft/car jacking capital of the world...
one cop died this weekend in a hot pursuit after being ejected in a roll over, no seat belt I presume..
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #7

I was on my way home from Sturgis, SD on the Harley 2 years ago. It was raining like crazy and I was in the middle of Minnesota on I-90. As I am traveling East I can see that a car traveling West lost control of the car, hit the median separating the two lane highway, flips over, and flies upside down across the two East lanes DIRECTLY behind me into the shoulder ! It happened so fast, and from my rear view mirror it looked like it was about 2 car lengths behind me ! If I had been going 2 seconds slower the car would have smashed into me UPSIDE DOWN ! Guess it just wasn't my time to go...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #8

I drive allot in my current position but here are just a few of the things I have seen in the last few years...

1) Cruising down the Merit Parkway at approx 75MPH in CT when I was passed by a coffee can exhaust owning Civic owner like I was standing still. He then weaves around another car in front of me and totally loses it spinning three times(once while still on the pavement and twice more on the grass) only to pull right back onto the roadway and drive away...I could not believe he didn't roll. It was like an episode of the "Craziest Police chases" caught on film.

2) Headed north over the Edison bridge here in NJ on the Rt 35 side and observed a woman fly by in her new Escalade(dealer tags on and all) applying makeup only to end up running into the guard rail along the fast lane for what seemed like at least 100'. All the while throwing sparks and mangling the entire driver's side of the truck...She never did stop but looked absolutely paralized when I passed her shortly thereafter.

Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote