Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
boggtown

Decal Advice Wanted

I love the look of this gemballa decal on the back of this boxster. And was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of it, if it is curved, the font, ect.. im thinking about going to get this cut in white and putting it on my box in the same spot as that one. So tell me what you think about it, color, logo, placement, whatever. And if anyone has the gemballa logo and wouldnt mind posting it itd help because then the designer could just make a copy, instead of working on a crappy photo of it. Ive looked at gemballa's website and they have the logo, just not very big.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I love the look of this gemballa decal on the back of this boxster.

I don't see any pictures???? Can you include the image so we can see the decal?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:54 PM   #3

I love the gemballa decal too.
I actually bought one from ebay last year, but I have to search through all the mess in my garage. Will let you know if I can find it during this weekend.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I love the look of this gemballa decal on the back of this boxster. And was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of it, if it is curved, the font, ect.. im thinking about going to get this cut in white and putting it on my box in the same spot as that one. So tell me what you think about it, color, logo, placement, whatever. And if anyone has the gemballa logo and wouldnt mind posting it itd help because then the designer could just make a copy, instead of working on a crappy photo of it. Ive looked at gemballa's website and they have the logo, just not very big.

Do you even have any GAMBALLA products on your car? Don't put one on and be a poser.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
boggtown

I dont have any gemballa products on my car, and im not trying to be a poser. Gemballa only makes little things for the boxster anyway, like some suspension parts (which are H&R), wheels, steering wheels, a body kit, and some exhaust stuff. The only "gemballa" boxsters I consider gemballas are the twin turbo ones. Everything else I consider design stuff, (except maybe the exhaust and tuning). But then you get into the thing, is it a RUF boxster because it has a RUF front bumper, or because theyve done an entire tuning package on it. I dont know where the line is, but all I know, is it looks sweet, and my boxster doesnt look stock anymore with the aerokit and rims on. So I doubt anyone would ever know it wasnt a gemballa (or even what gemballa was).
Old 03-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #6

Putting a Gemballa decal on your Boxster is probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Your boxster isn't a Gemballa so don't put the decal on. What are you going to say when another Porsche owner comes up too you and says "Your Gemballa Boxsters is pretty nice". Your reply is going to be something like "Oh, it's not really a Gemballa, i just though the sticker looks cool on my car so i put it on there". He is just going to walk away laughing.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #7

I'm with porsche986spyder on this one. If it's not a Gemballa, I'd leave the decal off. The young guys probably don't say wannabe anymore, but to me that's a wannabe move.

I wouldn't put Saleen decals or Shelby stripes on my Mustangs 'cause...well...they're not.

That's just my opinion. Nothing more.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
boggtown

True, and I believe that, but if you put a saleen body kit on your mustang would also put the decals on? What constitutes a saleen, RUF, or gemballa car? The engine stuff, looks, interior? Or all of it? I like the look of it, and if I had to buy some gemballa pedals, I might just do that.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #9

Gemballa pedals don't make your car a Gemballa!! If you put it on your just a poser!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #10

Change it to GumBalla, and chew some gumballs when driving...

Then it will be fine
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #11

If you want to put a Gemballa sticker on your car, then by all means put one on your car. I'm sure Gemballa wouldn't mind the free advertising.

I have Gemballa Competition wheels on mine and a Gemballa license plate frame. Does that make me a poser? Beats me. The guy I bought my wheels from had the Gemballa stickers on his doors like the Gemballa boxsters out at the time, yet he only had their wheels. Some gave him grief over it and others thought it looked cool. I've always been under the impression that if you buy something, you can do whatever you want to it.

I have my car serviced at RUF Autocentre and they have complained (jokingly, they still like my money) about the license plate frame advertising the competition, but haven't given me one of theirs to put on. And some of their tech's seem to like my wheels better than the RUF wheels.

I don't have an "S" model, but I have an "S" muffler, so I guess I'm a poser because I don't correct people who complement my Boxster S (even though you can tell it's not an S by looking at the front bumper and brakes).

Life's too short to give a dang what other folks think. If it's what you want, then you should have it.

I'll see if I can come up with at least a better pic of the sticker, if not the dimensions too. I know a guy that had some actual Gemballa stickers that he's not using.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-02-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
boggtown

http://www.gemballausa.com/catalogs/986_Catalog.pdf

Look at pages 17-22 imparticularly page 19, Thats the exact same as my car minus the wing. Ive got the diffusers, exhaust tip, sideskirts, ect... I think gemballas look just like regular boxsters, their front bumper styling is bland, stock looking.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Bogg -

I like the font & design of the sticker, but why advertise something that is not in your Boxster?

Maybe . . . . . .

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #14

If you think it somehow looks beautiful, then do whatever floats your boat. If you are doing it to somehow imply that it is Gemballa-tuned and impress others, then I wouldn't do it. Since you asked what I think, if you like the look, something like what Travis posted is much better and reflects that you customized/personalized it.
arenared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #15

Most of people paint their calipers in red because they like the look, not because to be a S poser.

Put whatever you like. I think it looks better than any other decal out there IMO.
I bought headlight covers, wheels, and decals and ended up selling 986 before I put them on. But hey your car deserves the decal more than mine, and it will look great!

Last edited by jinijazz; 03-02-2007 at 06:22 PM.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
how about a NOS INSIDE decal too? heheh j/k

but yea, if you dont have any gemballa products then its striaght up poser, any way you put it, and if you do then i guesss you can put it on.

but also, if you have a gemballa decal, you have a gemballa product (decal is their product, of course if you purchase it from them hehehehe) i guess it kinda makes sense in a weird way
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
how about a NOS INSIDE decal too? heheh j/k

but yea, if you dont have any gemballa products then its striaght up poser, any way you put it, and if you do then i guesss you can put it on.

but also, if you have a gemballa decal, you have a gemballa product (decal is their product, of course if you purchase it from them hehehehe) i guess it kinda makes sense in a weird way
Oh please........
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hehhe, this is too funny, but yea, its poser if you ask me man
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #19
boggtown

I look at it like a sticker, when you buy something (like my g-tech) they usually put a sticker in the packge for you. Doesnt matter how much you buy, as long as you buy something. Ive got the gemballa diffusers so I justify it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #20

Like many have already said, it is your car, but at least buy one from Gemballa!! If you want to be a poser that is your right but stealing a copyright isnt giving them free advertising and I doubt they appreciate or need it.

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote