Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
quick Pshop experiment, YEY OR NEY?

powdercoated black wheels and the decal....btw, does anyone have this decal on a boxster, a pic or anything....?

and theres a good comparison to my siggy same pic

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 03-01-2007 at 09:07 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #2

Forget the decal. Your beautiful Porsche looks better without it.
I like the wheel though
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #3

Wow, that looks... really good. I'm surprised I'm saying that because I rarely say that about this sort of thing.

Don't know about your blue corner lamps though...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i didnt think that would look half decent untill i actually photoshopped it, but im still deciding. theres a guy on ebay, i just checked, selling those for 26 bux

...about the corners, bulbs are out and they are color matched( from some angles it looks off couse of lighting), i bought smoked OEM ones, but well...they dont go w anything on my car, so i returned them
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Im a big fan of the painted wheels in that style!!!

My BBS wheels will be on in 4 weeks time!!

Here a sample that you knindly PSed for me.

Cheers mate.

Get the wheels painted. Looks hot.

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:49 AM   #6

The wheels look great, but the decal is a little on the rice side for my tastes.

Are you taking your wheels someplace to be done, or doing them yourself?
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #7

The wheels look nice, the decal, not so much...

Not a fan of decals on anything but a 73RS

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
boggtown

I hear ya on the 73 RS, been my favorite car for 5 years now. Id do just about anything to get one someday.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #9

I'm not a fan of the decal or the wheels. I typically am a big fan of black/grey wheels but with your car it just doesn't look right to me. You've done a fantastic job of limiting the contrasting effects of your lights by matching them to the color of the car or the wheels, why add a contrasting color back into the equation? I do see how you are combining the decal with the wheels to get the colors (black) back into the car, but without the decal I'm not sure it would look right...

Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #10

I like the wheels. But a window screen "PORSCHE" banner would be more suttle. That's the key, to make it visible but not all that noticable. I did my front window screen at the top and had it color matched to my car. It's very suttle. Easy to see during the day and at night hardly at all. But that was my intent for car shows. Most of them are during the day and in the light. Look at my pictures. It's even an outline, not a solid Porsche font. Looks even better this way.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-02-2007 at 07:26 AM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #11

The decal (to us over 30's guys) is very retro. I have very vivid memories of the speedsters with the Carrera decals when I was kid in the 70's.
If I had a white or yellow Pcar, particularly a vintage one, I would definitely add some sort of decal in black or navy blue.
I'm not sure how I feel about decals that simply say PORSCHE though..
it would have to say Carrera, Cayman or Boxster or Speedster, etc.

The wheels look good,need the colored crests. But what a pain in the arse to keep clean. I don't want anything black or dark grey on any car I ever own again.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986 Girl
The wheels look great, but the decal is a little on the rice side for my tastes.

Are you taking your wheels someplace to be done, or doing them yourself?

I wouldn't say 'rice'... that Porsche decal is the same type they put on the old 911s, makes me think of the RS. Call a 911RS 'rice', and you're in for a lot of people not liking you!

I think it looks good, but I also think it looks good without the decal.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I wouldn't say 'rice'... that Porsche decal is the same type they put on the old 911s, makes me think of the RS. Call a 911RS 'rice', and you're in for a lot of people not liking you!

I think it looks good, but I also think it looks good without the decal.
You wouldn't say rice, but I would... as I said, it was in my opinion The car might not be rice, but the decal certainly can be on it's own.

I just have never liked any decal with the make/model of the car on it. If the car is a track car or sponsored, then I can understand it. But on a daily driven car all it says to me is that the owner can either not remember what type of car they have, or they think their car is so important that they need to display to everyone around them what type of vehicle they are driving.

All in all it's a personal choice, but he asked for others opinions so I offered mine as well.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #14

Just so every one knows, Porsche still makes side decals for their cars. Granted this is an image of a high performance GT3, but they still do use decals today. AND if you ask the dealer where you buy your Porsche, weather it be a GT3 OR CARRERA, they can add the side decals as an "add-on option". So the way I look at it is, if the dealership and Porsche offer it, it can't be to "ricey"

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 03-02-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #15

^^ Yep, and highly doubtful that that would be someones daily driver

But again! This is just MY opinion. I would never choose to put it on a car, and other than track or sponsored cars, I don't like how it looks. Never have, and probably never will Just because a dealer does something, doesn't mean I gotta like it! Hehe!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
^^ Yep, and highly doubtful that that would be someones daily driver

But again! This is just MY opinion. I would never choose to put it on a car, and other than track or sponsored cars, I don't like how it looks. Never have, and probably never will Just because a dealer does something, doesn't mean I gotta like it! Hehe!
Looking at the picture of your car, I hope those are magnetic decals you use for auto cross racing and not perminate pink decals. Looks really bad, in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Looking at the picture of your car, I hope those are magnetic decals you use for auto cross racing and not perminate pink decals. Looks really bad, in my opinion.
They are magnetic, and they are only on the vehicle while at an event, where they are required.

I've apparently hit on a touchy subject with you, and I apologize for that, but I really don't think this needs to start turning personal. An opinion was asked for, an opinion was given. You obviously disagree, so I think we are set to move on.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
They are magnetic, and they are only on the vehicle while at an event, where they are required.

I've apparently hit on a touchy subject with you, and I apologize for that, but I really don't think this needs to start turning personal. An opinion was asked for, an opinion was given. You obviously disagree, so I think we are set to move on.
I respect your opinion, I was just commenting to everyone elses statements and yours by putting up those pictures just to let him no he was not alone. As for the last coment I was only messing with you. Not trying to start something.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #19

I'm not a fan of the decals. I've never understood the windscreen "Porsche" decal either. Who doesn't know the car is a Porsche? Kind of silly.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
I respect what you're going after w/ the decal from the historical context, but I think this thread is a perfect example of what I would expect would happen -- the ultra-knowledgeable (those who know the old P-cars that had the same type of thing) and the ultra-annoying (ricers) would love it, but most people in the middle would think it's weird. It does look surprisingly good on your color, though!

As far as the wheels, those don't look like black powdercoat to me -- they look like gunmetal, which is entirely different. I think your car would look good with gunmetal wheels, but not so much w/ the black powdercoat; it would be too much contrast. However, one word of warning on the gunmetal -- to most people, they look like a typical alloy that's very, very dirty. I had them on my old 5-series (remember the M5 from the late-90's that had the gunmetal rims?), and I can't count the number of "nice car, but you should really clean your wheels" comments I got.

But, like everything else, it's all in what makes YOU happy.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote