Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #1

Question Rotation Direction of PS2 Tires

I just got in a set of Michellin PS2 tires, they look great, I love the tread pattern, but I have a question about how they are mounted. On my other tires there was a direction of rotation for each tire. But the PS2's look like they are not mirror-imaged pairs and it does not look like there is a fixed direction of rotation. That is to say there does not appear to be a right and left side for the tires, any ideas on orientation of these beasts?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #2

I just walked outside and looked at my new Michelin PS2's... it says "outside" on it plain as day. Are you sure you didn't get a set of cheap look alikes?

Check again... I'm sure you'll see the word "outside" on yours. If I'm not mistaken, this would insure the rotation remains correct like the arrows on our previous tires.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM   #3

PS2s aren't unidirectional and not mirror. Because the sides are marked outside as Randall notes, the tread pattern will be oriented forward on the right and back on the left. When I say oriented, i'm referring to the tread pattern on the outward facing band.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #4

Hi,

Directional Tires have water channeling treads on the outside to throw any standing water away from the car to prevent Hydro-planing. Reversing them does the exact opposite, the tires will throw the water under the car toward the tire on the opposite side - could make for a great E-Ticket Ride in the wet, but not recommended...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #5

Sadly, I am old enough to remember E-Ticket Rides at Disney World! :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #6

I still remember the ticket books at Disneyland myself and I'm only 31, so don't feel too bad.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #7

"PS2s aren't unidirectional and not mirror. Because the sides are marked outside as Randall notes, the tread pattern will be oriented forward on the right and back on the left. When I say oriented, i'm referring to the tread pattern on the outward facing band."

Thanks, I understand which is the outside orientation of the tire but was unsure about them not being mirror-imaged. I wonder how it effects handling to have the tread pattern running in different directions on the left and right sides.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote